Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Too deep or masked....where are the most finds hiding?

Posted by james1969 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Too deep or masked....where are the most finds hiding?
February 19, 2013 06:00PM
Where do you think the most good finds remain ?

Too deep to detect

Masked by Iron

Masked by junk targets

Masked by mineralised dirt

Any thoughts?
Re: Too deep or masked....where are the most finds hiding?
February 19, 2013 06:18PM
All of the above.

And private property.
February 19, 2013 09:14PM
I agree with ozzie up there ^^^^^^^^^

especially with the "private property thing"

50 yrs of the public land/s and beaches/lakes being pounded to death by guys with detectors doesn't leave much for us these days

even 25 yrs ago (1980s) you could still find virgin parks/schools, lakes, etc. and walk away with a pocket full of silver, relics, rings, tokens, old coins, jewelry, etc. etc. but those days are long gone and it's few and far between finding untouched public property these days - happens now and then but not like it used to - not even close!

I remember hunting fresh water lakes with my garrett sea hunter back in the day (1983/84/85) and walking away with 15/20 gold rings, 20/30+ silver rings, tons of medals, 4 or 5 bracelets, 2 or 3 necklace's, a broach or 2 and PILES of coins in a single day from 1 lake and then do it again the next day at a different lake when water hunting was basically new and no one hardly did it ---- now you're lucky to find 2 or 3 gold rings per yr after 100 to 200 hrs of hunting the beaches/lakes (unless you're on the east coast or in FL) where 1000s and 1000s of people gather daily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 09:18PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 19, 2013 10:45PM
I belive the most stuff is masked by iron...

Why because where the most iron is is where the people stayed the longest and where you stay the longest is where the most loss will occur....

Now live in a bad dirt area that gets logged quite often and you can add Iron/Depth/Bad dirt in to a jambalya mix....3 piece combo With a biscuit on the side site...

Keith
February 20, 2013 12:14AM
thats funny Keith, i'll take some mallasses with that biscuit LOL!
February 20, 2013 02:37AM
From 20 years plus experience I think like Tom as so many goodies too darn deep for todays detectors...

For this reason anytime dirt is moved hit the area and those silver coins like the good old days will be put in the pouch...
February 20, 2013 10:58AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with ozzie up there ^^^^^^^^^
>
> especially with the "private property thing"
>
> 50 yrs of the public land/s and beaches/lakes
> being pounded to death by guys with detectors
> doesn't leave much for us these days
>
> even 25 yrs ago (1980s) you could still find
> virgin parks/schools, lakes, etc. and walk away
> with a pocket full of silver, relics, rings,
> tokens, old coins, jewelry, etc. etc. but those
> days are long gone and it's few and far between
> finding untouched public property these days -
> happens now and then but not like it used to - not
> even close!
>
> I remember hunting fresh water lakes with my
> garrett sea hunter back in the day (1983/84/85)
> and walking away with 15/20 gold rings, 20/30+
> silver rings, tons of medals, 4 or 5 bracelets, 2
> or 3 necklace's, a broach or 2 and PILES of coins
> in a single day from 1 lake and then do it again
> the next day when water hunting was basically new
> and no one hardly did it ---- now you're lucky to
> find 2 or 3 gold rings per yr after 100 to 200 hrs
> of hunting the beaches/lakes (unless you're on the
> east coast or in FL) where 1000s and 1000s of
> people gather daily.

&&&& 1000's of people with detectors hunt every day.
February 20, 2013 01:22PM
MichiganRelicHunter ---

Thanks for sharing; I love hearing stories like that about what it was like "back in the day" when virgin public spots were available. I can't imagine what it must have been like...

Steve
February 20, 2013 03:31PM
Last year I was hunting several times at local high school's soccer pitch. Found about 41 coins (no silver) and 3 jevelery pieces (a ring, bracelet and pendant). After that the pitch was torn up. Me and other local detectorists visited the site several times during one week before it was leveled and covered by new sod. In total we found (at least):
- 297 coins (include 5 silvers - 2 quarters and 3 dimes);
- 2 tockens;
- 5 jevelery pieces (rings, bracelets).
The field was torn up by plow in depth between 5 to 8 inch. So major items every time was in detector range and most likely were masked. I was able to recover about 12% of targets. More than 80% was masked!
You can observe the progress of the hunts, with a pictures, in this thread at Official Canadian Metal Detecting forum (you have to register first):
[www.canadianmetaldetecting.com]
hh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 06:01PM by YuriyV.
February 20, 2013 04:14PM
In the case of east Tennessee....most of the goodies here are simply covered in concrete. Parking lots, shopping plazas, Walgreens and WalMarts.
February 20, 2013 05:24PM
I think it is a combination of masking and the coins are just getting deeper and deeper. I hit a park a couple of years ago,they were removing the top soil for construction for a new parking lot. I slammed it pretty hard for a couple of days. I found about 30 silvers and most of them Barbers.These silvers and IH's were being found between 1 to 6 inches, thats after they scraped off the top 4 to 6 inches. I and many others had pounded this spot for many years and you were lucky to dig a Wback. Some areas where the soil allows it I think the coins are just getting to deep. Then you have the masking on top of that. I found two Seated dimes at an old fairground that were about 2" deep. They were being mask by near by iron but the F75 sniffed them out. The amount of coins that are to deep and that are being mask is huge I think.
Corey
February 20, 2013 07:26PM
I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I can hunt parks, beaches, old home sites , etc ........ On the beaches , the targets have already been taken, or they have dropped down too deep, or they are being masked .......In the Parks , the same folks that dropped their coins , also dropped their garbage .....Yes , even back in the day we were a bunch of lazy pigs ....Even moreso back in the day because they did not have park workers to empty the trash because there were no trash barrels !!...... The easy targets on the top layer of ground have been taken by early detectorists ....The rest that dropped down in the garbage , are beimg masked ......The targets that are probably quite a few , from folks leaning against trees, are down amongst the tree roots and too deep for our smaller coils to sniff out .....Sports fields and courts have also covered a lot of Park area's .....Home sites and historical sites are probably your best bet today ......There are more and more good relic machines hitting the market , and with some patience , you will find some good finds here that have been previously beem masked and folks to lazy to pull off the top layer of garbage to get to the goodies ......As you can see from Keiths finds , wars covered large area''s and relics can be found there ..... Here in NY , the law keeps you out of any battle grounds with your detector ..... I've often wondered why my tax money is the money that keeps these parks going , yet I can't metal detect on any of them ..... I guess Pete Seeger was talking about some other country when he sang ...." this land is your land , this land is my land " ...... The new version goes ....." we pay for this land, we pay for that land " .......Jim