Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT Pro question...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT Pro question...
February 27, 2013 05:56PM
The weather warmed up for a few hours Sunday and I took the AT Pro out in hopes of learning a few things. Something I had not noticed before was that the depth meter showed bars while sweeping over targets. My first thought was it was equipted with a running depth meter, but when pin pointing, the depth meter would show a different depth than when just sweeping, even if I was sweeping slowly. I can't find anything in the manual about it so thought I'd ask here.

What exactly is the depth meter supposed to be showing while sweeping (not pin pointing). Depth? Signal strength? Confidence? UFO's?
Re: AT Pro question...
February 27, 2013 10:06PM
Were you using the stock coil or the 5 x 8?
February 28, 2013 12:10AM
Hadn't thought of that! Would have made since if it had been the 5 X 8, but it was the stock coil. Are you thinking it's a running depth meter when searching?
February 28, 2013 12:24AM
The depth meter in the search mode isn't very accurate unless u r coil is centered over target (accidently) just a general guide, it's more accurate in pinpoint by far(on coin size objects). The stock coil and the 5x8 are close in depth, so there is very little difference in depth reading(especially since it measures depth in 2 inch increments) between the 2 coils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:39AM by dale68.
February 28, 2013 12:27AM
I agree, I trust the function in pinpoint with the stock coil. While swinging it's more of a general guess. With the 5 x 8 it's off in pinpoint as well. You get used to it and can still call it pretty close though.
February 28, 2013 12:38AM
So it's a depth meter, just not very accurate. Mine was showing at least 2" deeper when sweeping than pin point. ...sometime more, but this was detecting all the thousands of rusty nails there. I forgot to check it on a non-ferrous target as they were few and far between. Will have to experiment with it a little.
February 28, 2013 07:50AM
Pinpoint does not work well in staturated iron...

when theres lots of iron under the coil at once wheres the target?

the machine is snapshoting the whole picture...

Keith
February 28, 2013 12:47PM
The AT-Pro in Pro mode has modulated audio and it gives you a general idea if it's deep or shallow. If you ever get a good sounding signal and no id dig it!! It's usually a good deep target I usually hunt in Pro mode zero with iron disc at 31-33 and most times in thick nail and iron infested areas I run iron audio on to listen for those iffy dig me signals.
February 28, 2013 03:01PM
A depth meter is one of the functions on a lot of machines that I own, and a lot of machines that I use to own .....I can't remember ever using this function .... It's really of no use to me .....Jim