Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

You just never know (1749 half real-button)

Posted by Ferrous Bueller 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
You just never know (1749 half real-button)
March 04, 2013 10:18PM
One of the things i like most about metal detecting is that you just never know for sure what will come out of the ground at any given site. My hunting partner and I went to a late Victorian age picnic area on Sunday. It's long overgrown so winter is the time to hit these areas--especially since the ground is not so snowy and frozen. We see a plaque dated 1914 dated on the outside of the park so visions of Barbers and IH's danced in my brain.

The area borders a commuter railroad and the High-voltage wires for the trains really run havoc with EMI. My partner hit this area previously with a t2 but the EMI was so severe it was almost unhuntable. (he did manage to score a few IH"S though). Anyways we decided to attack it again ths time with his f75 ltd and my ctx. EMI was pretty bad as my ctx was chattering like crazy--I could tell a train was coming 2 mins before we could hear it just from the massive increase in chatter and falsing.

After a half hour of very little targets and adjusting for emi, I got a shallow 12-34 signal at about 3 inches. To be honest Site specific at a heavily trashy park I would probably not dig this--thinking zinc penny or bottle cap. But given the age and lack of targets or iron in this grove--have to dig for sure! Out came a half real--dated 1749 that someone fashioned into a button! I have found love tokens before but never a real-button. My first real and oldest silver coin to date! I would have never guessed getting a real at a non-colonial site--flabbergasted for sure!
Little while later got a 1875 seated dime at only an inch. Not many seateds at that depth! Im thinking frost heave or just heavy EMI chased away other hunters.

My hunting partner did even better than I did. He got a nice Key date 1877 IH as well as a 1838 seated half dime! He reported heavy emi on his machine, but he is very, very, proficient with his f75.

Re: You just never know (1749 half real-button)
March 04, 2013 10:39PM
Pretty darn cool FB. Wonder how many times that real got washed in a creek.
March 04, 2013 11:03PM
Great find congrats
March 04, 2013 11:11PM
Thats a very cool button! Never seen one from a reale
March 05, 2013 01:56AM
that is one of the coolest finds i've seen, a reale made into a button
March 05, 2013 03:48AM
Very, very cool! Strong strike on the back of the reale. Congratulations
March 05, 2013 04:40AM
Very nice.
Yep the Captain is pretty proficient with his F75