Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My favorite fresh site machine......AT-PRO

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My favorite fresh site machine......AT-PRO
March 05, 2013 10:48PM
If I have a new contaminated house site to hunt I find the AT-PRO with 5x8 DD coil a pleasure to use in such area's...

Use the euro's for hunted out last pull sites with small iron...Seriously..

I know a lot of people are getting on board with the Euro's...but use them wisely or you will be discouraged..

Its hard to beat an AT-PRO in modern and old trash...its a winning combo...

If I could only have 2 machines it would be ......

AT-PRO

GMP/DTVG DEUS

In my dirt I find the AT-PRO just as productive as a T2/F75...for trash use..

Keith
Re: My favorite fresh site machine......AT-PRO
March 05, 2013 11:02PM
Knowing the area's you hunt , and the type of hunting that you do , this does not surpriise me at all ......The AT Pro has one of the best Iron discriminators goiing along with great ID .......This machine handles iron like a much higher priced machine

At the other end of the spectrum , the AT Pro for me handles gold really well if it's not too deep .......So between gold and ID'ing coins , and it's light weight , it's my "go to " machine for recent drops on a dry sand beach .......I'll fly down the beach , and if no gold is around , I usually get gas, toll, and lunch money for the day in clad !!....I cherry pick only quarters and dimes ....It even ID's the difference between a newer and an older penny !!.....Jim
March 05, 2013 11:41PM
AT Pro's one of my fav machines too Keith - I've had one for 2.5 yrs now and it finds stuff many other machines I've used (much higher $$/cost) have walked rgt over - - not to mention - - as you say - - they work the iron very well for "cherry picking".

My soil GB's out at around 82 - 87 depending and the Lake Michigan Beach Sand GB's out at high 50's/low 60's so I get good depth at the lake front way more so than the soil around here. The lake is 35/40 miles to the west of me so the soil over here to the east is black dirt mixed with sand AND clay (reddish/orange-ish clay).

I pulled a Susan B dollar out of the sand at a good 15" one day with my AT Pro (stock coil)!

It likes gold rings in the sand too - 12" no prob for an avg. ---- a large gold mans ring even deeper :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 11:54PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
1721 dauphin Boy coin ( Yes, Patricia they do exist) screwwey Lewy the 15 th....

Happy Trails
jimpugh Ps dug last month before all this deeptech Heck ....will stick with my new GMP V4 luv dem almost 300 year old greenies or nine deniers coppers
Real nice dig for sure Jim!!!!

Id love to live in the colonial spots like your area....

And yes the AT-PRO is a fantastic machine for the money actually any amount of money.

Its never what a machine cost its what it can do

Again real nice historical piece tied to one of historys mystery's

Keith
March 06, 2013 06:31PM
Awesome for sure! I too would love to detect those old rev. War fields and colonial cellar holes...but wouldn't want to live there..I hate cold and snow, lol. Ray
March 06, 2013 06:48PM
Hey Ray. Jim has it made...He is I belive on the gulf..all periods of history from spanish french english maybe more..

Imagine that hunt all day eat crawfish and shrimp at night!

Keith
March 06, 2013 07:38PM
Hi,,, Boy I'm definitely going to have to disagree on the AT Pro being good in a nail infested area (fairgrounds etc.)....I have had one since they came out and I still have not pulled a coin with a nail in the same hole.....When I run my older Garrett's or Tesoro's this is a common occurrence....I have dug many Indian head pennies and seated dimes etc. with rusted nail marks across them, I even had silver dimes where the nail was almost fused to the coin...I have yet had this happen while using the AT Pro....I have run it at least a thousand plus hours already,,Don't get me wrong I like it quite a bit, it just can't make magic happen like some of my other machines....Maybe it's cause I modified my other machines that make them different or special....It's pretty hard to beat some of the Tesoro's in an old farm field laced with a lot of nails....By the way, I run Fisher's,Minelab's,Tesoro's and Garret's and love them all..They all get their use and are used in different situations and scenarios...,.H.I.H................JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 10:45PM by jimmyjiver.
Makes me feel good to read this, picked up a AT Pro Saturday, I only have about 5-6 hrs on it so far. Tried both Pro and Std mode, man that pro mode is a language all its own, Std mode reminds me of the Ace 250. The 5x8 coil is fast becoming my go to coil, same depth as the stocker and great seperation in the trash, actually dug a couple coins colocated with iron and tabs(pro mode), there was no doubt that there was a good target to be had from the audio, the Vid might have cuased me not to dig, but that audio is really good.I wish there was more numeric spread on the coins, maybe something like the F5 has. By the way, in air tests it is very close and sometimes equal to the depth of my Vaquero, hope the same is true when I add the dirt in real world hunting situations.
March 06, 2013 08:45PM
Hey Jim

how old is your AT Pro??

I know a lot of the 1st ones released on the market had some issues and maybe that's why you're not having very good luck with yours in iron?

All I know is that in Pro mode wide open with nothing notched out and iron disc set between 32 - 35 (even 40 in some cases) you can listen for the whisper of a high tone mixed in with the iron grunt and pull coins out that other machines can't even see.

I picked a nice Merc dime out of a bed of nails at an old home site the last time I was out with mine at approx. 6 inches deep

you do have to S L O W down while hunting in this manner/mode or you'll miss the high tones altogether as it takes the machine a bit longer to analyze and report but if you work slow/er - it does a great job.

I'd consider having the machine looked at if you purchased one of the 1st released models - many guys had to send them back to have them fixed/tweaked.

Good luck & HH

jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,,, Boy I'm definably going to have to disagree
> on the AT Pro being good in a nail infested area
> (fairgrounds etc.)....I have had one since they
> came out and I still have not pulled a coin with a
> nail in the same hole.....When I run my older
> Garrett's or Tesoro's this is a common
> occurrence....I have dug many Indian head pennies
> and seated dimes etc. with rusted nail marks
> across them, I even had silver dimes where the
> nail was almost fused to the coin...I have yet had
> this happen while using the AT Pro....I have run
> it at least a thousand plus hours already,,Don't
> get me wrong I like it quite a bit, it just can't
> make magic happen like some of my other
> machines....Maybe it's cause I modified my other
> machines that make them different or
> special....It's pretty hard to beat some of the
> Tesoro's in an old farm field laced with a lot of
> nails....By the way, I run
> Fisher's,Minelab's,Tesoro's and Garret's and love
> them all..They all get their use and are used in
> different situations and
> scenarios...,.H.I.H................JJ
March 06, 2013 09:17PM
I love it when a detector and a detectorist come together.

It may not be everyone's perfect machine, but I'm really glad you found the combo that works for you!
March 06, 2013 09:52PM
Jim,

Did you ever do the nail test with the AT Pro that you did with the Vistas and some other machines? The test I'm refering to is the one with the nails placed on the paper at different angles and then positioning a penny at two different locations. If you did what was the outcome?
March 06, 2013 11:06PM
Hi,, I'm having trouble posting or replying on here so I will keep it brief... . Yes it's been into Garrett's three times the first time was for the upgrade...I just got it back so maybe it will work differently now..... I set the AT up accordingly to the size of the nails etc. I encounter at a given site.... The old Vaquero's used to air test 10-12 inches with no problem,now you are fortunate to get 8 inches....My buddy has had three of them since he got rid of his first HOT one and the air test since then has been very,very low..... Try a nail test coin 2" nail,, coin 2" nail etc. with a Tesoro that's setup right it will impress you even at a super fast swing.....JJ
March 06, 2013 11:14PM
Keith I have to agree the AT Pro is the best machine I have ever used in iron!! It smokes all other detectors I have ever owned!! with the 5x8 coil on it I'd put it up against any machine on the market! I am looking at getting a AT-Gold or another AT-Pro for a backup detector and this requires me to get rid of my Minelab Quattro which is a great machine on deep silver! But in the areas I hunt I need something to pick through the nails and trash better.
March 07, 2013 12:08AM
One thing I would like to add also about the AT...

It has one of the best target I.D's in iron I have seen to date...it is very accurate even in dense iron....and the B.T. coils are really cutting edge design...

Garrett has managed to give us a heck of a detector for a realistic price...

Its a good machine to have in the arsenal that's for sure...

And that 5x8 B.T. DD is a must have

Keith
March 07, 2013 12:49AM
I just picked up one with both DD coils. I was fortunate that one was within reach...close to home. One could say that it was within driving distance. And the price was excruciatingly low. I thought: I'll just add that little feller to my arsenal. I gave my last one to my elder brother (with both DD coils) as he has fallen on hard times and I figured I would share my hobby with him. He seemed intrigued when I was hunting his yard about a year ago. (House built in 1922). So I figured...why not. I already have a couple. He can have one. I bought it and then saw this thread. It was as if it was meant to be.
First thing I'll do is attach that 5x8 coil and hit some sites and listen for that faint hint of hi tone and numbers bouncing up into the goodie section.
Thanks Keith...for the 'shout out' of a good, truly mid priced, unit. And many hours of productive and happy searching with yours!!! You have been adding some substantial finds to your collection lately!!!! That is awesome.
March 07, 2013 01:31AM
Thanks Kevin...

Glad you found another one..With both coils is mandatory..I have heard a larger one is also on development...that might really push the depth in the remote area's..

Keith
March 07, 2013 01:35AM
I can't pry my at pro from my 17year old sons hands, lol. Now he's eyeballing my vista gold...I don't think so boy!
March 07, 2013 01:41AM
That's great Ray that your son being 17 has a passion for detecting...

I wish my Kids would hunt with me...But they just wont....But they are girls and they are extra,extra Girly Girly Type's...Especially the oldest up and coming next Fashionista ...Well in her Eyes anyway.. Never knew it took a room full of makeup and a few hours of prep time to got to the store...LOL!!!

But that's great ....Hope He stays at it.. Great way to stay out of trouble in those late teen year's...

Keith
March 07, 2013 01:59AM
Keith get beadazzler and decorate up a detector with some bling bling on it to make it look all girlie and they may decide to give it a try!! LOL my daughter goes occasionally with me she swings a little Compadre.
March 07, 2013 02:22AM
Yep Keith, got me one of those too! My son just pretty much likes anything that keeps him in the outdoors, fishn, huntin, etc.my daughter will fish with me, but she's not into detecting...
March 07, 2013 02:44AM
88junior Wrote:
> Keith I have to agree the AT Pro is the best
> machine I have ever used in iron!! It smokes all
> other detectors I have ever owned!! with the 5x8
> coil on it I'd put it up against any machine on
> the market! I am looking at getting a AT-Gold or
> another AT-Pro for a backup detector and this
> requires me to get rid of my Minelab Quattro which
> is a great machine on deep silver! But in the
> areas I hunt I need something to pick through the
> nails and trash better.

my favorite of the two is the atgold.. i had a pro and two of my buddies still do. i get completely different results with th atgold compared to the pro then keith did in his test. i have a silver dime buried at 8" in my test garden. none of the 3 pros will even whisper on it in pro zero max senstivity. my gold in disc1(same as pro zero) with the same 11" coil will hit it clearly one bar from max sensitivity. in all-metal it is loud... i always ran my pro in pro zero and i run my gold in disc1 90% of the time and when i have an area that isnt trashy i run all-metal some. i dont know why i got such different results then keith, the only thing i can figure is because my soil mineralization is light-mild... my 2buddies have both swung my gold and now they are considering getting the gold also.... if you like to use notch disc and dont like a threshold the gold isnt for you though and from what i have read it wont work in saltwater either...i dont live anywhere close to saltwater so that didnt matter to me..... just thought i would throw this out there since you are considerin one....
March 07, 2013 03:53AM
One thing you need to do on the AT-PRO big Boar.. that maybe you have not done?

Pro mode
Iron audio 'ON'
Disc 32....

If you are just going into pro mode zero you are missing the most important aspect of the AT...Because zero is setting the tone break for you at 35..

I am just checking because the deepies can ring up in the 33-35 occasinally mid tone if you use the disc at 32 ...

You may well already Know this but thought I would get us on the same page..

Might be worth a test to see if the AT does not work better on the deepies with iron audio on 32 disc pro mode.......they are 2 different platform detector's..I have found my AT will max out about 11 inches on coin sized target's in my dirt...they will read low though....Nothing wrong with the Gold either I just found it to be a tad weaker in my dirt..But everyone's dirt is different.... I did like the all metal side yet it seemed weak on the i.d...I mean I had to dig alot of target's that were really not that deep to get the tone I.D. to report iron or not....I think it is set up for smaller gold in that mode so it makes you chase the hits to be sure...If that makes sense...small gold can I.D. as iron at shallow depths on all machine's.so it makes you investigate more before its certain it's iron or not......

That bring's me to another scenario......Maybe Tom will answer...I have never discussed it before now....on the AT when you stack quarters together on edge like 4 or 5 and pass them under the coil instead of them going higher on the i.d. like other machines they actually go low...they will drop into mid tone if you put enough together...Dont Know about you But I like that...it keep's from wrapping into iron on high conductor's...

Thank's for bringing up the Gold!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 04:11AM by Keith Southern.
March 07, 2013 04:40AM
Hi All

the 5 by 8 stays on mine i have thrown away the coil cover and have a rino guard coat sparyed over the epoxey
my set up is pretty much as Keith's but in our test and ground.... 27 iron disc... and the rest open and of coarse iron audio on. the unit runs best if you do not over run Gain or find the sweet spot for your ground....in real hard pressed situtations i have run as low as 20 on iron disc in hope that one more might bleed thru in deep iron.....The ATPRO is one of the few detectors that is under 600 dollars which is able to enter the : GOD MODE : in the hands of the well trained and disciplined.....

Happy Trails
jimpugh
March 07, 2013 06:21AM
Good info Jim...

Keep it coming ...

info info info

Thanks

Keith
March 07, 2013 10:56AM
Deathray, same here. My son will detect, daughter will not, but, she will fish with me. How do you like when the son reaches into the basket for the last drumstick...I don't think so, boy! Ha ha ha LOL!
March 07, 2013 12:23PM
88junior Wrote:
> Keith get beadazzler and decorate up a detector
> with some bling bling on it to make it look all
> girlie and they may decide to give it a try!! LOL
> my daughter goes occasionally with me she swings a
> little Compadre.

That's funny!

It may just work though -

HH
March 07, 2013 12:48PM
BigBoar wrote:

my favorite of the two is the atgold.. i had a pro and two of my buddies still do. i get completely different results with th atgold compared to the pro then keith did in his test. i have a silver dime buried at 8" in my test garden. none of the 3 pros will even whisper on it in pro zero max senstivity. my gold in disc1(same as pro zero) with the same 11" coil will hit it clearly one bar from max sensitivity. in all-metal it is loud... i always ran my pro in pro zero and i run my gold in disc1 90% of the time and when i have an area that isnt trashy i run all-metal some. i dont know why i got such different results then keith, the only thing i can figure is because my soil mineralization is light-mild... my 2buddies have both swung my gold and now they are considering getting the gold also.... if you like to use notch disc and dont like a threshold the gold isnt for you though and from what i have read it wont work in saltwater either...i dont live anywhere close to saltwater so that didnt matter to me..... just thought i would throw this out there since you are considerin one....)

Thanks for the info on the AT-Gold!! My only draw back on it now is I only live a skip & hop from Keith and our soil is about the same!! Keith what kind depth were you getting out of the gold compared to the pro? And do they both handle iron about the same? Thanks
March 07, 2013 03:13PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> One thing you need to do on the AT-PRO big Boar..
> that maybe you have not done?
>
> Pro mode
> Iron audio 'ON'
> Disc 32....
>
> If you are just going into pro mode zero you are
> missing the most important aspect of the
> AT...Because zero is setting the tone break for
> you at 35..
>
> I am just checking because the deepies can ring up
> in the 33-35 occasinally mid tone if you use the
> disc at 32 ...
>
> You may well already Know this but thought I would
> get us on the same page..
>
> Might be worth a test to see if the AT does not
> work better on the deepies with iron audio on 32
> disc pro mode.......they are 2 different platform
> detector's..I have found my AT will max out about
> 11 inches on coin sized target's in my dirt...they
> will read low though....Nothing wrong with the
> Gold either I just found it to be a tad weaker in
> my dirt..But everyone's dirt is different.... I
> did like the all metal side yet it seemed weak on
> the i.d...I mean I had to dig alot of target's
> that were really not that deep to get the tone
> I.D. to report iron or not....I think it is set up
> for smaller gold in that mode so it makes you
> chase the hits to be sure...If that makes
> sense...small gold can I.D. as iron at shallow
> depths on all machine's.so it makes you
> investigate more before its certain it's iron or
> not......
>
>
> That bring's me to another scenario......Maybe Tom
> will answer...I have never discussed it before
> now....on the AT when you stack quarters together
> on edge like 4 or 5 and pass them under the coil
> instead of them going higher on the i.d. like
> other machines they actually go low...they will
> drop into mid tone if you put enough
> together...Dont Know about you But I like
> that...it keep's from wrapping into iron on high
> conductor's...
>
> Thank's for bringing up the Gold!
>
> Keith

hi keith, I never run iron disc above 31 because way back when tom tested the pro I remembered him stating 32 was max I believe. I didn't run iron audio on though, could that make a difference? I always used iron audio just to check a target.. It snowed the other day so I cant get out to my garden again until it melts plus I will have to get one of my buddies pros(I sold mine) and I am open to try suggestions as I value your opinion very much. I think I am gonna try to find me another pro though so I can keep doing comparisons and since I sold my deus(don't ask, should have kept it but it was an argument thing over how much I had been spending on the hobby as I had a ctx at the same time also. I sold them both) I would like to have another machine as this is the first time in a while that I have only owned one detector. I hate not having another just for the fact that some of my other buddies like to go every once in a while and now I don't have a machine for them to use. anyhow, back on track.... when you were using all-metal did you use the iron audio function along with it? I know garrett states you shouldn't leave it on but when I am running in all-metal I am finding that I like to leave it on all the time as it gives me a tone break from the iron to everything above and I am curious if you felt the same way or not because I am sure I recall garrett saying that leaving it on could mask targets. I am gonna have to go back and watch the video and see exactly what it was he said. I am no expert by any means and I want everyone to know I don't think I am. I am here to learn! I know the pro is definitely the more popular model but the gold kinda shocked me. Like was stated earlier maybe it is just me and the gold and I just clicked... when I owned the pro I always wished it had threshold so I am sure that is a big reason mentally of why I like the gold also...
March 07, 2013 03:24PM
hi keith, I never run iron disc above 31 because
> way back when tom tested the pro I remembered him
> stating 32 was max I believe. I didn't run iron
> audio on though, could that make a difference? I
> always used iron audio just to check a target.. It
> snowed the other day so I cant get out to my
> garden again until it melts plus I will have to
> get one of my buddies pros(I sold mine) and I am
> open to try suggestions as I value your opinion
> very much. I think I am gonna try to find me