Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First outing with the Vista Gold.

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First outing with the Vista Gold.
March 08, 2013 04:44AM
I tried it out first in my tiny test garden, which consists of a nickel at 6", two clad dimes at 7 & 8 inches, buried 6 mo ago. In my nasty orange clay, my t2se, atpro and safari all read these coins as iron. The Gold nailed all these coins with a clear high tone. The 8" dime signal was a bit soft, but clear. I went to a fresh water beach , which consists of rocks, with a bit of sand and clay mixed in. I fired it up and started scanning. I ran 2 tone, I had boost on most of the time, Used both slow and fast. Ran the iron disc up about half way, sensitivity max. Detector ran very smooth. I really like the audio. It tells alot. I have always liked target ID, but did not miss it. I used TreasureWise phones. I love the analog electronics. If there is metal there, it barks. No hit and miss audio. I dug no empty holes. The adjustable iron audio is awesome. I detected for 3 hours, and no noise fatigue. Nice balance and lite weight. Im amazed at the accuracy of the disc circuit. No wrap around iron, reading out as a good signal. This baby is a nickel magnet. It likes aluminum also of course, but thats the trade off when searching for gold. I have hit this beach probably 6 times, with different machines, and I have never found any gold, including today. But If I had put the coil over gold, this machine would have hit it. Deepest coin found was about 8" today, but I was concentrating on learning the machine, rather than digging deep iffies in these rocks. By the third and final hour, I was able to correctly call a few corroded cents, before digging. The coins have a nice sound, with a tinge of fuzz at the edges. I was also starting to be able to pick out steel caps, with their bouncy sound. I brought my T2 along for a back up, In case I would get tired of the Gold, but never used it. The Gold is a fun machine . It has found a home in my detector tool box. A special thanks to Keith and Tom for sharing.
Re: First outing with the Vista Gold.
March 08, 2013 06:21AM
Nice report Possum......

Glad you have a liking for it...

And thank's for taking the time to report...

And you are welcome ..thank you..

Keith
March 08, 2013 11:33AM
thats a great report hope you get some goodies with it!
March 08, 2013 12:07PM
I concur with everything you said ....Glad you're enjoying the V Gold ..... As you said , it really IS a telling machine .....You really don't miss an ID meter ......I'm still new to mine , and I can see that it just get's esier and easier to ID targets ......I really don't mine digging foil , nickels , or pull tabs .....I know I'm in the GOLD range and soon enough I will pull GOLD !!....Jim
Anonymous User
March 08, 2013 12:43PM
Great report. Thanks.
Based on my testing I'm also confident that if the gold is under the coil - I'll get it.

possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried it out first in my tiny test garden, which
> consists of a nickel at 6", two clad dimes at 7 &
> 8 inches, buried 6 mo ago. In my nasty orange
> clay, my t2se, atpro and safari all read these
> coins as iron. The Gold nailed all these coins
> with a clear high tone. The 8" dime signal was a
> bit soft, but clear. I went to a fresh water
> beach , which consists of rocks, with a bit of
> sand and clay mixed in. I fired it up and started
> scanning. I ran 2 tone, I had boost on most of the
> time, Used both slow and fast. Ran the iron disc
> up about half way, sensitivity max. Detector ran
> very smooth. I really like the audio. It tells
> alot. I have always liked target ID, but did not
> miss it. I used TreasureWise phones. I love the
> analog electronics. If there is metal there, it
> barks. No hit and miss audio. I dug no empty
> holes. The adjustable iron audio is awesome. I
> detected for 3 hours, and no noise fatigue. Nice
> balance and lite weight. Im amazed at the
> accuracy of the disc circuit. No wrap around
> iron, reading out as a good signal. This baby is a
> nickel magnet. It likes aluminum also of course,
> but thats the trade off when searching for gold.
> I have hit this beach probably 6 times, with
> different machines, and I have never found any
> gold, including today. But If I had put the coil
> over gold, this machine would have hit it.
> Deepest coin found was about 8" today, but I was
> concentrating on learning the machine, rather than
> digging deep iffies in these rocks. By the third
> and final hour, I was able to correctly call a few
> corroded cents, before digging. The coins have a
> nice sound, with a tinge of fuzz at the edges. I
> was also starting to be able to pick out steel
> caps, with their bouncy sound. I brought my T2
> along for a back up, In case I would get tired of
> the Gold, but never used it. The Gold is a fun
> machine . It has found a home in my detector tool
> box. A special thanks to Keith and Tom for
> sharing.
March 08, 2013 07:36PM
Does the Vista Gold have good Modulated audio where the deeper targets are softer sounding? Thanks.
March 08, 2013 08:29PM
Yes it has very good analog modulated audio...very nuanced..

I will say it again ,,,,,,,,,,,it's like old school with modern adjustabilty...

Run it for an hour and it will seem like you have ran it for year's...very conveying...and very uncomplicated...clean sounding audio...

Keith
March 09, 2013 12:40AM
I have been detecting on and off over the last 35 years... A casual detectorist you could say. With the exception of water proof detectors, I have been running detectors with Visual target ID since about 1978 or so. The first few detectors I owned in the 1970's had audio ID only. So this GOLD is my first non metered land detector since the late 70's. It would be cool to have an accurate visual system on it, BUT, by having only audio, I believe it causes an operator to get in tune with the machine better. It will also lead to digging more crap, and good stuff. Yesterday, it brought back memories of that first detector I bought, the excitement I had back then, when a target sounded good, and the suspense to dig it and see what the target was. The audio , stability, and the performance makes this machine fun. Now, about that small eliptical coil.... bring it on. smiling smiley