Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What Happens When You Have Had Too Many Detectors-For You Tom

Posted by RLOH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What Happens When You Have Had Too Many Detectors-For You Tom
March 13, 2013 12:48PM
Over the years in this hobby I have got on the kick of trying every new detector that comes out. Since I am not wealthy, I usually try some of the more expensive detectors by trading for them or buying used. With that said, I have lost track of how many I have owned. I have my favorites that I have tried two or three times. CZ's are included in this "favorite" category. A couple of months ago I bought a ten year old CZ70 that looked as if it had never been used. I never read the manual because I have had a couple of 70's along with the 7apro. I knew how to ground balance them and in my mind, that was very important with any CZ. Between snow storms, I got a chance to use the detector for 4 or 5 hours. While detecting, I was finding an extraordinary amount of rusty iron. In my mind I thought the CZ70 was a "dud" so I private messaged Tom and asked him how he checks for a properly functioning CZ. In the mean time I had a "brain connection" and decided to read the manual. DUH! With my extreme knowledge of just about every detector made, I had set the notch up completely backwards on the CZ70. I had notched in iron and notched out every other segment. Talk about feeling foolish. I ran Tom's check and the 70 was spot on. I used it last Saturday for 6 hours and it performed flawlessly. I was ready to send the detector away for repairs and that would have been another rookie mistake. All in all, this was a good lesson for myself and thankfully I did not spend many hours detecting with this faulty setup. Tom, thanks for your help, but sometimes you can't help "stupid".
Re: What Happens When You Have Had Too Many Detectors-For You Tom
March 13, 2013 01:45PM
I can identify

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 06:03PM by Kevin B.
March 13, 2013 01:50PM
RL glad to see you up and running and myself going the same route as you can understand where one can get confused and once bought a used XLT where the previous owner programmed it incorrectly and took a bit to find the problem.Thats why I feel switching detectors from day to day can hurt more than help not to mention arm problems as different detectors have different ergonomics and one uses different muscles to swing and anyone having an arm problem knows what I mean. Enjoy your CZ as it may be old technology but can hang in with all the new stuff and wish you and yours the best for 2013...
March 13, 2013 02:33PM
Dan, if I had kept the first CZ I ever owned, I would be way ahead financially. I agree with your wisdom about changing detectors. There is much to said about ergnomics. I had one of the first Etrac made and Minelab changed the angle of the handle. Many people praised the new setup, but it hurt my wrist. I presently have a Troy X3, Omega 8000, and the CZ70. The light weight Omega hurts my wrist more than the heavier CZ70 because of the angle of the handle. I recently bought a new product called "Detecting Buddy" which is a detector harness. I have tried every harness made and this product is by far the most natural feeling harness I have tried. While not exactly perfect, I bought a quick release clip to use when setting the detector down to dig. I can connect ane re-connect the bungee in seconds. It goes on and off extremely easy and is so simple I can't believe others have not thought to do the same. R.L.
March 13, 2013 06:16PM
I know I have had over 200 machines in my life....

And very few I find fault with...just sometimes they don't fit my hunting style...

But you hit the nail on the head with understanding the detector and setting it up right...That's so critical to get the right performance out of any detector..

quick story..

I remember a guy had a Musketeer one time and could not get it to work...He wanted to know if I would look at it for him...I said O.K. send it too me...I am not electronic expert but I can sometimes figure out simple basic electronic stuff...

Well when I got it I turned it on and it was dead for sure,,,I checked the batteries on the volt meter next and they read zero...I put new batteries in and presto machine fired up...So easy mistakes do happen...

Had a guy send a Cibola I modded back to me one time for dead detector...Well the battery was dead not the detector...

Keith
March 14, 2013 01:33AM
I detected a field for 20 minutes before I realized my machine was off, but I was over 50 years old then hehe
March 14, 2013 01:34PM
Bet we all got some humorous stories that humble us a little, RL smiling smiley Batteries, Sunray probe switches, Uniprobe switches, on/off detector switches, brushed discrimination dials, etc, etc.

Speaking of on/off volume switches, how about the T2/F75 switch? Wonder how many of us have turned the volume way down or even off accidently by brushing it against our hip and hunted for many minutes of silence before we figured out what happened? I know I have on both of those models smiling smiley

I like Caretaker's response. smiling smiley

HH
Mike
March 14, 2013 01:54PM
I remember one of Charles Garretts writings where he stated some detectors come in for repair when all they needed was new batteries.Happened to me once with a new set of store botten batteries but put in the old weak batteries which worked so was an easy fix when the store refunded the price and I bought a new set at a different store.
Guess we all have had problems on or off or knobs that turned when in use so its part of the hobby I guess.
PS: always remember that Sov. knob for depth that was azz backwards and all I could get was an inch or two etc. etc.
March 14, 2013 02:41PM
On some units, if they're quiet, you know something is wrong...especially the f-75.
March 14, 2013 06:14PM
Caretaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I detected a field for 20 minutes before I
> realized my machine was off, but I was over 50
> years old then hehe

Ehehe, that is a good one. You need to make it into a cartoon.

I have done what Mike said many a time with my separate volume contols on the Grey Ghost headphones ( I usually take them off for every dig).
Finally bought the GG Deep Woods with no volume controls!

While the CTX was easy for me to use, the screen wasn't the most vibrant and so I often was in the wrong mode (screen) as I couldn't clearly see it.

Albert

Ps - and yes, i remember taking more than a few swings with a detector off and marveled how the iron was gone ;-)