Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Yard Raiding has the Laws Eye in my Area

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Yard Raiding has the Laws Eye in my Area
March 17, 2013 02:02PM
Due to a large amount of foreclosed homes in counties surrounding my home there has been a bold group of hunters that have been going into yard to pull coins out. While getting permission to hunt these location would be difficult some have even turned to hunting yards located next to these empty homes. Even if homeowner if home or not. These homes are still occupied and some have had the police called on them. I was hunting a home my contractor friend owns and have written permission to be there. Someone called the police and they came out to talk to me. No problem but they informed me that they are taking a harder stand on this. Our law states that unless posted NO TRESPASSING you will be asked to leave. If you go back then they can charge you with second degree trespassing. Now it can escalate depending if you damage the property or the officer is having a bad day. Some people just will ruin it for all of us just to get a silver coin. Im not one that likes to look over my shoulder when hunting. Its suppose to be fun
Re: Yard Raiding has the Laws Eye in my Area
March 17, 2013 02:52PM
Had fellows doing that here in my sub. They left holes and I got blamed for it because my neighbors know that I detect. I got photos of the two clowns one day. I pulled up while they were detecting a yard (foreclosure...) and just sat there taking photos of them.
March 17, 2013 09:25PM
That's just so wrong, the nerve of these guys. Hope you got a picture of their license plate, too.
March 17, 2013 09:32PM
Hopefully the LAW catches them in the act and confiscates their machines/equipment.
March 17, 2013 09:56PM
Greed can keep them there long enough for the law to get there if a call is made soon enough. If you were to sit there taking picture of me, right or wrong I may come a swinging so be careful. Do you really know for sure I don't have permission until you ask. They could have had a gun. I do carry a gun and its on my hip when in some bad areas. While I will not pull it unless threaten I have no problem letting you see its on my leg as I wouldn't like it. Ive broken no law by showing you its there and I feel your treating me and my privacy. With the right software you can put a face into any bad situation on the internet or put these guys in any yard hunting. So beware of your tactics with picture taking and take pic of car tag. You saw it and have tag number, that is enough. You just might get the law called on you as a pervert which I would think of you taking multiple pics. Better just to call the law and let them handle it. We have different gun laws in NC and it shows in the crime stats.
March 18, 2013 12:45AM
Don't know about your state but in FL legally he can take all the pics he wants. If you come swinging that's attempted assault. Uncover your weapon even with a CCW and it's a misdemeanor. Make sure you know the laws with a weapon on exactly. Otherwise a lawyer is mighty expensive. I actually had a nice long talk with a lawyer years ago when I got mine. Learned that a lot of "common knowledge" among the shooting crowd wasn't entirely accurate.

We have some of the same issues down here with some detectorists in places they have no permission to be. Some police will just tell you to move on, some will make an issue of things. One local small city mayor will go out of his way to make trouble for you if he can, long story.......
March 18, 2013 05:22AM
Take all the pics you want.

You have no "reasonable expectation" of privacy out in public. That includes searching foreclosed homes with a metal detector.

"Those who do not know their rights...have none."
March 18, 2013 09:45AM
You might be right but while I might laugh it off as Im a law abiding citizen others just might not. Have seen serious confrontations all the time when people stick there nose in others business. Pics can only help if their ID is known and will likely be gone before law arrives. In the mean time you could get hurt or property destroyed. Just my experience. I took a picture of guy in car that ran me off the road speeding and driving crazy. He saw me do it. Called the HP to report and when I stopped at next light he had followed me and got out of his car and took a pipe to my truck. Got the tag number but didn't help. Vehicle stolen. Might have helped if caught but that wasn't the case.. People every where but didn't stop him. He tried to pull me out of truck but door lock stopped it That's when I got a gun. Never leave home without it. To bad the people blaming you for digging the holes jumped to conclusions with out doing some research of their own. I see in your case I might have done the same thing but instead I would just call the law give them tag number if applies and let them handle it. Less of a chance of confrontation and potential harm. Some crazy people out there who really don't fear the law and if their yard raiding I suspect they dont. If your weapon is registered and exposed it is not a problem by turning around and letting people know you are carrying. In most cases common courtesy so they don't freak out if unaware you have it. Im not pulling it out of holster just letting you know Im carrying. Has deterred many small groups of teens walking toward me I suspect looking for trouble in the more questionable parts of town. Just sharing what has happen and what could happen by taking pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 10:49AM by ShovelNose.
March 18, 2013 08:05PM
The good thing about taking the pics is now you can show your neighbors it was not you! Otherwise, I would stay out of it. Just my opinion.
March 19, 2013 05:01AM

If your weapon is registered and exposed it is not a problem by turning around and letting people know you are carrying

Not true in many places, ShovelNose. Google "brandishing" and "gun printing."

Steve
March 19, 2013 05:16PM
True Steve but here they respect your second amendment rights to bear arms. Its only pointing if pulled from holster. I just turn around so if your coming at me you will see it. That is unless they are blind.
The site of a unexpected gun freaks a lot of people out so trying to stop that. If I pull a gun it would only be in self defense not to scare someone off. If I did that I might as well shoot them as the trouble your in is just about as bad. My wife was beaten and robbed 10 yrs ago and she carries hers in her hand when she leaves work at night. She scares me with it as I know she might shoot first ask questions later. Lucky she is good with it, shoots it weekly and someone doesn't sneak up on her. She will take her chances after spending 1 month in a coma. We live in a good area but bad people come here looking for easy pray. Sad times. Didn't mean to get everybody worked up just saying we have had some bad experiences and wont let it happen again. Police are never there when you need them. Also helps younger brother is criminal defense attorney. Have not used him yet. LOL
March 19, 2013 06:05PM
I understand completely. My wife was in a wheelchair for ten years. Can you say criminal magnet? even police officer friends made sure I had the permit to protect her. In FL though, no open carry unless on hunting land or your own unincorporated property. So, concealed is concealed. Never drawn, hand on once and hope I never have to.