Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Selling F75 SE

Posted by D-Tone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Selling F75 SE
March 17, 2013 08:36PM
Alright guys, seriously, should I sell the F75 SE for a while and try the CTX? You guys with all the detectors you've tried are killing me! There's no way I'm selling my G2 but I really want to see what all the hype is about... If anybody is interested here is my package:
[portland.craigslist.org].
The 5" coil is completely unused.
I really trust you guys so if you said 'take it off your doing fine with what you've got you really won't see a difference in silver count' --I'd pull it. However if anyone wants to buy it just PM me-- hell-- I can always buy another--I've had one in the past already!smiling smiley I just love this detector but I'm dying to experiment with some new ones!smiling smiley (ctx or vista gold).
Re: Selling F75 SE
March 17, 2013 09:11PM
Tough to beat the all around f-75 black with boost. If you sell it, you only have half the doe for the 3030, think about that. You didn't even try the 5" coil yet. Your call D.
March 17, 2013 09:18PM
Thanks Ozzie, I actually had this detector for 2 years, sold it for 3 months to pay rent, then JUST bought this again (so I'm losing money if I sell itsad smiley).. So I did use my last 5" coil, I just haven't used the new one. This model actually seems cleaner and deeper than my last one too...sad smiley It's that NJdigger discussion that got me, and all the guys on here that said they really are getting less trash/more silver in parks-- I want to see for myself. And yes-- this will be a stretch $ wise to get a ctx. I'm NOT looking forward to the weight and slow recovery speed either, but maybe it's not as slow as I think, and I've heard it well balanced.. UGH! Decisions! I guess I don't want to become too brand loyal either, by trying this I will know for sure which is king for my detecting style and sites, and I want to be sure I do have the right detector for my Nasty iron/minerilazed oregon soilsad smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 09:22PM by D-Tone.
March 17, 2013 10:36PM
D-Tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Ozzie, I actually had this detector for 2
> years, sold it for 3 months to pay rent, then JUST
> bought this again (so I'm losing money if I sell
> itsad smiley).. So I did use my last 5" coil, I just
> haven't used the new one. This model actually
> seems cleaner and deeper than my last one too...sad smiley
> It's that NJdigger discussion that got me, and all
> the guys on here that said they really are getting
> less trash/more silver in parks-- I want to see
> for myself. And yes-- this will be a stretch $
> wise to get a ctx. I'm NOT looking forward to the
> weight and slow recovery speed either, but maybe
> it's not as slow as I think, and I've heard it
> well balanced.. UGH! Decisions! I guess I don't
> want to become too brand loyal either, by trying
> this I will know for sure which is king for my
> detecting style and sites, and I want to be sure I
> do have the right detector for my Nasty
> iron/minerilazed oregon soilsad smiley!

D-Tone, I'm only replying since you referenced my name in your post.

Here's my take...

If the 75 works for you, I say keep it and don't look back winking smiley If however, you truly feel that your finds will increase by utilizing a different machine, shoot for it.

Again, it's what works for YOU, nobody else. While I still say the 75 is one of the best machines out there, it just wasn't for me. I don't really relic hunt, nor do I do any gold prospecting. My main forte is hunting for silver in older parks, woods & such. For this type of application, I feel I am best served by my trusty CZ & a Minelab.

Keep in mind too that, I only used the 75 for a week. Hard core, long hunts, but, still, only a week. However, still time enough for me to realize the fit wasn't appropriate. Kinda like going on a first date, you can tell instantly if there's a spark and you wanna take the next step winking smiley

Finally, I wouldn't feel hard pressed if I were you to jump on the CTX. In my humble opinion, is spending $2,500 gonna get you THAT much - if any - further depth than say an Etrac? Will an Etrac get you THAT much more depth than an Explorer? My buddy runs with the Safari and loves it! Most coins in our neck of the woods are in the 6 to 8" range with the exception of the occasional deepie, so, he's done well on it. I had it years ago and sold it for various reasons. Wish I never did. I hunted with his unit yesterday and found silver. Something I didn't do in 5 hunts with the 75. I just ordered another Safari for myself. Would I love to try a CTX or some of the other machines? Absolutely! However, it would take a LOT of mercs & barbers to pay for one, lol.

Do what's right for YOU and within your budget. Don't feel the need to try something cause everyone else is. Heck, I'm using an "older" Los Banos CZ. Some guys would laugh at that. But it suits me fine.

Keep us posted on what route you take...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 11:14PM by njnydigger.
March 17, 2013 11:05PM
Thanks so much njnydigger! I appreciate that and ill let you know what happenssmiling smiley!
March 17, 2013 11:38PM
But is the ctx getting more silver than an etrac ...or an explorer..or heck even the sovereign in the right hands. When I was hunting parks, everyone except me was using explorers...I stuck with the sov. We all got plenty of silver. I haven't seen where the ctx is doing better on silver count, but I will say that it seems to get more big silver for some reason. Cant comment on the f-75...but I did use an f70 for awhile, and for deep turf silver masked by modern trash, Ill take the minelabs anyday.
March 18, 2013 12:56AM
Half? Try one-third.
March 18, 2013 01:09AM
It's on EBay. Sorry Tom, Ill buy another F75 in the future but I feel like that guy who saw a hot woman who slipped him her number-- I JUST GOTTA KNOW IF ITS RIGHT lolsmiling smiley Thanks guys!
March 18, 2013 01:27AM
I spent 2 hours in a soccer field in the wind this afternoon and dug 40+ coins with the F75. They all pinpointed at 5 to 7" but none were deeper than 3 but I doubt there are few there that are any deeper than that. Regardless , it was an unpleasant hunt with doubt as a companion on each "dig". That's just not the 75's forte. I do occasionally relic hunt and nugget shoot out here in the West so after a trip to El Paso for an "adjustment" so I can sell it with a clean conscience , I suppose I'll keep it until I find someone willing to pay the price. If you end up with an extra buyer , I'd be very interested. After all, I can always use the money to get a 3030 to back up my E-trac.
March 18, 2013 03:01AM
D-Tone Wrote:
> It's on EBay. Sorry Tom, Ill buy another F75 in
> the future but I feel like that guy who saw a hot
> woman who slipped him her number-- I JUST GOTTA
> KNOW IF ITS RIGHT lolsmiling smiley Thanks guys!

Methinks you're gonna love the Minelab on coins, D-Tone winking smiley

Yes, they're heavy, a bit sluggish & maybe not the best on gold...however, from my past experience with the Safari, they're silver killers.

I.D. - even at depth - is superb, pinpointing is spot on & the depth, well, everyone knows what the ML's are capable of smiling smiley

Whatever model you get, post some of your finds so we can track your progress!
March 18, 2013 10:28AM
Your thinking of selling the F75, I'm thinking of adding one to the arsenal,... strange world.

I really like the CTX, but it is a whole different ballgame if you are used to a fast machine.
Sovereign, Excal, E-trac, CTX to pull the magic you've got to let the machine think,.... go slow in trash dense situations.

What I mean about magic, well pulling stuff from between and around trash, pulling deep stuff from in between surface trash,... that's a bit of magic in my opinion.

Now you can swing it at a decent rate and still hit deep targets, but only in clean ground and with decent coil control.
You need to put some effort in controlling that coil.

Yesterday I was out with a guy swinging an XP 4.6 kHz on a maize stubble field. Both detector and guy hunting zipped along that field at an amazing rate.
Colleting big high conductive targets,... very impressive,... even with his coil hanging at about 45° from horizontal.

I had the X-terra 705 along with me with the 10x5" HF coil, slowly sweeping, getting the targets, ID-ing deep iron and pushing the coil in between the spacing of the maize stubble.
My minelab isn't as fast as that XP,.... I surely aren't as fast as that guy.
End of the hunt,.... I got a few buttons, a few coins, some shrapnell balls, WWII bullet casing and my bit of trash.
He just had about the same, only his finds were larger due to him zipping along and only digging "decent" targets.

I say use what you like, but don't expect the CTX to reveal itself in a weeks time. Your brain needs to settle down in between detectors, ready for new input !!!
If by some odd reason I manage to swing by my detector dealer and load up an F75, allready put my paws on it a few times,.... well I wouldn't expect it to reveal itself in a weeks time.

HH
Johnb
March 18, 2013 11:54AM
Heck I would get an Etrac if it was me unless your a water hunter that would be the only reason I'd get a CTX there's been a lot of guys that had Etracs and sold them to get a CTX and then turned around and sold them to get their Etrac's back. Just my two cents
March 18, 2013 03:55PM
Thanks guys! God I wish someone on here had owned and used both!sad smiley I know Learning Ctx would be like learning rocket science, watching earthmansurfers videos he's so methodical and technical-- which is much appreciated but I will have to dumb down my sweep speed like crazy! I'm no beginner, I've owned three detectors (not counting the v3I) but Lordy the ctx looks like it has so many options I hope it's not too complicated!
DJK
March 19, 2013 12:43AM
. Fisher was my detector of choice for years. I purchased new from Fisher many years ago a new then 1260, then when the CZ6 came out, one of those. There were several other brands along the way as well., but I favored Fisher. When the F75 came out, I had to have one. That detector was so hyper that new users had no idea what they had in their hands until so much was written on forums. I lost faith in the whole deal when I sent my F75 in for the $50 updates. I wrote a letter stating my wants and commented on EMI. Fisher returned the F75 with the updates, along with a new coil, stating the coil was faulty. After the updates and new coil, it ran no differently than when I sent it in. Later, I became aware that I wasn't alone ini getting a $50 update along with a new coil saying the coil was the issue. It made me think if the coils were really a fault and if they were a problem, how many other F75s were out there with a problem. After all, not everyone sent their F75 in for the update. There were a few put up for sale as I recall. Since my detector ran the same before and after a new coil was attached, I always wondered if my F75 was truly working as it was designed to. I lost confidence. It wasn't only in the F75, it was also my confidence in the company. Todays SE may be an improved F75, but no, I won't go through the experience again. When I wrote my letter to Fisher stating my desire to update, I mentioned my long history of buying new from their company over the years. In my letter I also asked if a part was available for my CZ6, a connector to convert it to a CZ6A. I wrote that letter in duplicate. One was posted on the outside of the carton, the other on the inside. My CZ6 questions were never responded to. The $50 updade was done, and a new coil was sent stating an issue was found. I still have the CZ6, and it was excellent until a threaded plastic connector snapped. I was willing to buy the correct pin coil as well. It may have been a busy time at Fisher with the updates, but I had two issues, covered in two letters. Having experience in customer service, I had to multi task every day, and with my mentioning to Fisher my purchasing history, I expected more. These days my detectors of choice are the Minelabs, mainly due to my location. Although I own a CTX, I have little to no experience with it due to some health issues that are now out of the way. Maybe the Etrac will satisfy some, but there are many Etrac users that moved to the CTX for its many more options, one of which is being submersible and salt beach capable. I have a Safari too, but less options there, although very deep on silver. Salt air and surf are not a problem with the CTX.. If you only occasionally use the CTX on vacation for salt surf hunts or use it a lot in any wet environment (Oregon), you don't have to worry about a dunking or rain. I can't say how the CTX will work in your nasty soil, but the F75 apparently works differently in Florida than ti does in does in mineralized Virginia. Might be the same for the CTX, I have yet to determine that, but I think you are doing the right thing by trying one.
March 19, 2013 01:46AM
Well I've been down the Minelab trail and here's what I found. I had a Quatttro, Explorer, SovereignGT and now own an older sovereign that they no longer will service. I also have an F75 and a Vaquero. Minelabs have a slow recovery and they hold on to a target longer which is a good thing if silver is under the coil. It is a bad thing if it's a piece of trash. Trash is where most of the good coins are left. I prefer a quicker response. Plus when minelab sold out the customer service went down hill . Also they started with the cheap overseas labor and raised the prices. Now they don't service the older models and have discontinued the explorer and sovereign. These were the best 2 detectors that were ever build by that company. They want you in a $2500 CTX 3030. I suspect the excal is also headed down the same trail. In my area I cant justify a $2500 detector. I believe my F75 will find 95% of what a CTX 3030 will find, and the other 5% just isn't worth the other $1500. I believe I will stay with the F75. Don't mind digging a little junk. It's called learning your machine.
March 19, 2013 09:49AM
I am curious about the "50 dollar update" to the F75 (I am in the UK). Could anyone enlighten me? Is this the weak battery spring replacement and some sealing improvement on the control box? I ask because I was plagued by "battery bounce" turn-off on my F75 until I finally resolved it myself. My machine is an early one, 2007 I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 01:26PM by Pimento.
March 20, 2013 12:28AM
Well guys, I just want to thank everybody here for your support and comments. I couldn't bear to let my F75 go, I just took it off eBay. In the last TWO days I hunted with it taking my time (thank you scoobjohnb, you inspired me to go slow with a race-car) and I got a Rosie, two mercs (one 1916!) three wheats, a buffalo, and a 1901 Indian head penny. I also found the most beautiful clay marble! How do you post pics here guys??
HOWEVER, I have about $700 saved up and I WILL add a ctx to the arsenal very soon!! I knew when some of you mentioned speed I just wouldn't be able to part. I also hunt a lot of farm fields, old homesteads, and deep woods, which the Boost mode is notorious for getting above ground slash air gap depth. This particular machine is one of the quieter/ deeper ones I've owned too.
One thing I realized is that to get small dimes (again, thanks coop) you just have to go slow or you run right over them!;( but that merc I found today was with the 13" detech coil and it hit hard at 8-9" at least!
Thanks again boys!!!!smiling smiley
March 20, 2013 06:42PM
Now,... that's a real result!!

A celebratory shot of whisky is required, after a bad day at work, you digging some keepers with an F75 made my day !!

HH
Johnb
March 20, 2013 07:24PM
D-Tone Wrote:
> Well guys, I just want to thank everybody here for
> your support and comments. I couldn't bear to let
> my F75 go, I just took it off eBay. In the last
> TWO days I hunted with it taking my time (thank
> you scoobjohnb, you inspired me to go slow with a
> race-car) and I got a Rosie, two mercs (one 1916!)
> three wheats, a buffalo, and a 1901 Indian head
> penny. I also found the most beautiful clay
> marble! How do you post pics here guys??
> HOWEVER, I have about $700 saved up and I WILL add
> a ctx to the arsenal very soon!! I knew when some
> of you mentioned speed I just wouldn't be able to
> part. I also hunt a lot of farm fields, old
> homesteads, and deep woods, which the Boost mode
> is notorious for getting above ground slash air
> gap depth. This particular machine is one of the
> quieter/ deeper ones I've owned too.
> One thing I realized is that to get small dimes
> (again, thanks coop) you just have to go slow or
> you run right over them!;( but that merc I found
> today was with the 13" detech coil and it hit hard
> at 8-9" at least!
> Thanks again boys!!!!smiling smiley

D Tone I would appreciate if you would keep us up to date with your 13 inch ultimate coil on your F75 LTE. I just purchased that coil for my F75 SE with boost etc. and I will not be able to get it outside for 3 weeks or so. Another blizzard struck here in central Wisconsin a couple of days ago and the ground is froze lika a rock.

thanks ArtWI
March 20, 2013 07:51PM
Sure ARTWI!smiling smiley Let me just say:
1: It looks at first that you need a rubber washer for it to fit but really it's just about keeping the bolt tight.
2: It will false more on iron, so try not to take it to where there are too many nails! Basically you will get a good sounding deep jumpy signal with 30-40% iron grunts-- I'm usually tempted to dig those. When you turn to the side these will become almost 100% iron grunts (it's a nail), but you can still wiggle them into sounding decent. One rule of thumb I use (unless the target sounds redicously good) is if I can't pin-point the target--it's iron. However we all know sometimes a large target can drag the pinpointer from the main target and confuse one.
3: I love how the weight of it makes my sweep feel cleaner and smoother and slower. And damn, NO problems detecting ridiculously deep objects!!smiling smiley
Small objects will sound off longer and louder which is where I think it excels in bringing out the small silversmiling smiley

I was using it in VERY lumpy, big grass clump, high-nail-content dirt, and it was fantastic in boost at getting deep without worrying about how high the coil had to lift over grass clumps and dirt riftssmiling smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 09:16PM by D-Tone.