Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10 Turn Ground Balance?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
10 Turn Ground Balance?
March 18, 2013 10:02PM
What is so special about a 10 Turn ground balance over a 1 turn like on CZ's? I don't see the point in 9 extra turns? Does it make that much of a difference? To me it is a pain in the A**!
Re: 10 Turn Ground Balance?
March 18, 2013 10:09PM
the more severe the dirt gets the more a critical ground bal is needed..

Particularly if you are trying to hunt in an all metal threshold based mode...

Some dirts with using a single turn can never quite achieve a proper ground bal no matter how hard you try you cant get the exact setting...

Hunting in disc and setting a ground bal with a single turn is more forgiving...

But a threshold based all metal mode with a 10 turn in troublesome ground is a pleasant addition..

Keith
March 18, 2013 11:16PM
Well I do hunt in Disc. and my ground is moderate. Is there a easier way to do it? Like maybe start out at 4 turns clockwise and go from there?
March 19, 2013 12:18AM
I Went to Troy's site and Re-read the G.B. section. I should start out with it completely clock wise and balance slightly positive. I will give it a try next time out as it is snowing again rite now. Man when is spring going to get here!
March 19, 2013 12:28AM
Hi, A single turn potentiometer will achieve a proper ground balance...A 10,20 or 3 3/4 turn potentiometer just makes your ground balance adjustment so it's not as touchy as a single turn one....You could start out with five turns if it's a ten turn potentiometer but this could vary from one model or brand of detectors...After you get it set it should not vary that much thereafter where ever you go in an area...Beware however that some areas do vary some so check your ground balance often to maintain maximum depth....JJ
March 19, 2013 04:13AM
In hot ground it's sometimes very difficult to achieve proper ground bal. with a single turn G.B. When nugget hunting in mineralized ground with a Gold Bug 2 ( Which has the best manual adjustable GB of any detector IMO) my thumb is always on the GB knob , it requires almost constant adjustment
March 19, 2013 10:59AM
On my cz, in high mineralized dirt, I barley have to move the GB knob Cw or CCw, to equal the sound between coming or going. I can see where a finer adjustment would be easier and more exact.
March 20, 2013 08:08PM
I'd rather have the extra turns for a more fine GB especially when hunting the beach where your GB changes from the Saltwater , the the Wet Saltwater sand , to the damp sand , and then to the dry .....The conditions are CONTANTLY changing , and to have these chages dialed in accurately is a big help ..... Starting points are determined by mineral / salt content .......Jim
March 22, 2013 06:37PM
Just thinking out loud here.

Which is best? A fined tuned, spot on ground balance like I can achieve with my F5, where every click between a number change has an affect on the ground balance of the detector?

Or a more broad based setup like that with the ATGold, where ground is canceled within a range setting?

I remember hunting with my Coinstrike manually balanced to the ground. While hunting I could hear every lite sparkle of mineral outside the balance point (which wasn't distracting at all as it was very low keyed) and knew when I was out of balance to the ground because the sparkles were gone. But when tracking was turned on, the ground signal was smoothed over and I never heard the sparkles that told me I was truly ground canceled.

Some machine just don't have the range to really cancel out the ground. None of the Xterra's could give me a pure balance. It was always negative or positive, never neutral.

like I said, just thinking and remembering outloud.

HH
Mike