Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ- 3D Test garden video I did..102 Los Banos model

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ- 3D Test garden video I did..102 Los Banos model
March 20, 2013 10:52PM
Its an extremely hot model...will airtest a dime out past foot...I did hear it hit at 13 once or twice while measuring but 12.5 in normal..

Anyway I tested it on the 10" dime the 11" dime and the 12.25" dime..and also the 13" Nickle....

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: CZ- 3D Test garden video I did..102 Los Banos model
March 20, 2013 11:24PM
Keith great video as usual. I was wondering if the Troy shadow X-5 you had would hit that deep dime and nickel you have planted in your test garden? Thanks.
March 20, 2013 11:39PM
I have never been able to hunt with the sensitivity over 5 without lots of falsing with any of the CZ-3Ds I have used (2-1021s and 1-FT, 2 tuned by Tom). You must have fairly mild ground?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 11:41PM by Lipservice.
March 21, 2013 12:12AM
All the CZ's I've used here in Michigan (including the 6a I'm using now) for the most part have all ran between 3 and 4 on GB (sometimes as low as 0) but I can usually run it wide open on sens unless there's some sort of EMI in the area
March 21, 2013 12:51AM
I GB my cz in all metal mode, never tried it in disc.
March 21, 2013 01:03AM
I was power balancing it for better depth...If I was to use the all metal to ground bal it would be more towards the 4 instead of the 5...

The whole point of the video is to show that with a proper smooth ground bal. in my dirt it will not hit a 10 inch dime...yet with manipulated ground bal it will hit all the way to a 13 inch target..

yet it will then be mineral noisy...

My dirt is minerlized and it show's it with the depth drop off.

This is a very hot Cz-3d...Yet is struggles in mineral's..
March 21, 2013 01:30AM
Wonder how it would do with the 10.5 and sens. set at just below 5. Anything higher just expands the footprint outward and you don't gain any depth. Just what Ive read on this forum. Love the tones on the 3D. Really suits my ears.
March 21, 2013 02:26AM
Keith,

Seems DD coils work better for you in the areas you hunt ( which by design I would think they would based on your mineralized soil). Shame the CZ's never got the opportunity to be outfitted with one.
March 21, 2013 09:21AM
Kieth, to power balance, do you set the disc to 0, pump it till the tone silences while turning the gb knob, and that's it? In that set up, if you set the sens to 5, do the falses subside?
March 21, 2013 09:52AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kieth, to power balance, do you set the disc to 0,
> pump it till the tone silences while turning the
> gb knob, and that's it? In that set up, if you
> set the sens to 5, do the falses subside?

To GB in disc mode

you start with the knob at 10 and turn it down until it starts to "false" while lowering the coil to the ground and then back off til it just shuts up

to "power bal" or better known as "run the machine hot"

you turn it until it false's and then back off to the point that it's right at the breaking point of falsing/being quiet (or in other words) a "HOT" or "POWER" Bal

I run mine this way quite a bit -

as Keiths' video shows though - the machine will "false" due to the minerals in the ground if you run it this way but - you gain max depth and when you learn the machine inside & out - you can tell the difference between falsing and an actual target

some guys don't like running them "HOT" because the machine is noisy (plus) while learning to run them this way - many will dig "false targets" that don't exist and then get PO'd for digging a "ghost target"! lol

I do it mostly at old sites where max depth is needed

I've always ran both Fishers and Garretts "HOT"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 10:07AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 21, 2013 11:35AM
Thanks MRH, I will give it a try. I'm used to a noisy f-75 so I'll bet it won't bother me.

So, when in all metal the "hot setting" when pumping down to the ground, the unit will sound,, correct? and that goes for most other units with manual GB?
March 21, 2013 01:08PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Thanks MRH, I will give it a try. I'm used to a
> noisy f-75 so I'll bet it won't bother me.
>
> So, when in all metal the "hot setting" when
> pumping down to the ground, the unit will sound,,
> correct? and that goes for most other units with
> manual GB?

In "disc" mode and the disc knob at setting 0 - start with the GB knob at 10 and turn it down until it sounds off and then back until it spits & sputters (repeat as necessary)

it will sound when pumping the coil but just on the breaking point of doing so - that's the trick - to get it to that point of just barely sounding off and being quiet - you don't want it completely silent but not completely noisy either

completely silent is completely GB and completely noisy is too hot/out of balance

when you have it just right - it will spit & sputter in and out of noisy to silent (that's when you're running hot) but not to the point of being completely out of balance on the hot side.

And yes - that goes for any manual GB unit!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 01:23PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 21, 2013 04:50PM
Hey Ozzie ...

Michigan pretty much covered it...

but to answer the question about going to 5 on the sens to stop the noise...it will still be there....

If the CZ's had a DD coil available ...But they cant.....then the negative ground settingof biting into the dirt would be more controlled...Less falsing...

That's one reason I like DD's. I can bite the dirt more and get depth while being able to not hear as much mineral noise...

A tejon with a DD coil on it hits the 10" very well...And stay's pretty quite when power balanced...

Keith
March 21, 2013 08:38PM
Thanks again MRH. Thanks Keith.
March 21, 2013 09:48PM
How about the Troy-X-5 as it is a depth monster?
March 22, 2013 04:22AM
Great vid.
March 22, 2013 01:53PM
Keith...... your test-garden dirt seems to be somewhere between medium and low mineralization.
Educational video.
March 22, 2013 04:37PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Keith...... your test-garden dirt seems to be
> somewhere between medium and low mineralization.
> Educational video.

Tom,
Wouldn't the fact that our Florida soil is so neutral, keeps us from tweaking the same way he has, to get greater depth, with our CZ's ?
March 22, 2013 10:25PM
Absolutely.
March 23, 2013 12:10AM
Tom, I'm confused. Why do you think Keith's test garden appears to be low to moderate mineralization when Keith says otherwise about the ground in his area?
March 23, 2013 01:16PM
If Keith can set up the CZ in such a fashion (esp Grnd Bal)...... and acquire a dime at 1-foot........... including correct high-tone ID......... the soil is moderately mineralized......... (albeit....the unit will false a bit with Grnd Bal overdriven). If Keith moves over (maybe about 20 miles) he may hit dirt whereby the CZ will not even see a 8" deep dime.......... let alone ID the coin............ regardless of any control panel configuration/set-up.
March 23, 2013 03:06PM
Wow live and learn after all these years. Always set mine spot on (ground balance while bobbing) and sens. as high as I can while keeping a stable unit and always got super depth.
Harold that X-5 will not beat a CZ depthwise on a silver dime but on low conductors such as a nickle it will blow everything out of the water rel depth to answer your question....
Not a relic guy but imagine that where it would excell...Yep used both so not something I read in a book but actual in field experiences...
March 23, 2013 04:19PM
Thanks Dan as I know for sure it is hot on Indian head pennie's got a 10'' rite out the box first time out! Only been out one time since. Nothing the second time,But was another pounded site. Then the snow hit and ground refroze some. The balance of the detector is amazing and the best I ever have swung! Only negative is no tone I.D.,But great modulated audio and I have other tone I.D. Detectors.
March 23, 2013 04:28PM
Thanks for sharing the video Keith,

That 10" dime in your soil is a tough one to hit here in California too, rarely do we get coins at 10" inches our common deep coins from parks and such are 6-11" inches the deepest going to wheat pennies. Max on deep dimes is around 9" and that's with the right machine, we do find them deep but our California soil prevents us from digging them past 9" or 10" range.

I've always used wheat pennies and nickels for test gardens, a penny works best for me.

On another note, Still have my CZ-3D. Modified it last year come out Extreamly well balanced, placed the face panel with all the controls in a miniature meter housing mounted the handgrip remounting the larger housing underneath the armrest. Very nice setup, can't post a pic from a cell phone on this forum but maybe in the future when I go back to a home computer will post a pic then.

Thanks again for sharing the video,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 04:30PM by Old California.
March 24, 2013 10:01PM
It will hit but the ground will give some noise from manipulation...

In my area even if we have top soil the clay down about 6 inches starts to disrupt the signal...

So ground bal manipulation works wonder's....but dd coils will smooth thing's back out...

like in the video the 10" dime will not be heard if adjusted to a proper ground bal on the CZ...but a hot bal. will its always a fine line in my dirt to get depth...

I can move around that yard and get 95 g.b.'s and 5 f.e. bar's ..its funky around here...

that's one reason I see the DTVG do well it ground balances in my dirt spot on and retains depth why I dont Know?Almost like it like's Clay mineral...

The shadow with 5x10 DD coil will get depth because I can manipulate the ground while still retaining some non noise ground feedback the concentric does not allow for...

That's the trick though is it not...Knowing how to hunt YOUR dirt..again don't dismiss detectors in your dirt till you try all setting's...

If the Omega would manipulate properly it would get excellent depth,, it airtest very well yet we have to use the larger coil's to get depth out of it...Not sure why the Omega does not allow for super tuning like other machine's do....
Keith
March 25, 2013 12:21AM
Hi, I'm kinda wondering why my 3D will air test a nickel less than it does a dime???? Your air test shows you getting more depth with a nickel than a dime....Does anyone else's 3D get more or less depth while comparing a nickel & dime????....JJ