Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why does the DeepTech keep reminding me of this detector?

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why does the DeepTech keep reminding me of this detector?
March 24, 2013 02:13PM
The short lived USA made Ground Hawk relic detector that I once owned?

[www.upstatedetectors.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Why does the DeepTech keep reminding me of this detector?
March 24, 2013 02:34PM
Sven1,

I got one of those, mine has the lock/unlock... haven't used it other than in the yard. I had a Vista Gold, it was not nearly as well made as the Ground Hawk.

What did you think of the one you had ?
March 24, 2013 05:32PM
I had two of those ground Hawk's..Thought I might of missed something the first time around...I had a dealer give me one once ...said he could not sell it ...

But the one's I had did not have no depth...But the scary part is open one up and look inside then post a picture....

nhat guy quit making them after a 20 year run....He started making them in the 80's by word of mouth and quit a few years ago wheh they started getting picked up by a dealer network..

I know dealers got stuck with new ones they paid like 600.00 for and He quit producing...they were stuck with them finally selling them as new for less then 300.00 new..retail was like 850.00? I believe,,

They were supposed to be a 1266 done right....but I did not see 1266 depth...had one that would not ground bal in my dirt also.???

they looked good though ..

Keith
March 25, 2013 01:37AM
Here's my experience with it when I got it back in 2010 from my orig post at another forum. By the way, lots of pots inside....
-------------------------------------------------
Several weeks ago manged to get my hands on one of these handmade metal detectors. Thought it might be nice to see how these operated. Made strickly for relic hunting as the discrimination portion is almost like hunting without disc.

Bench testing it has impressive depth in the air. Was told it makes different type sounds when waving different items underneath the coil. Yes and no, not much I found.
Will not fully disc out screw cap pull tab , even at max disc setting it will pick up the small gold.
Air testing shows that the screw-bottle cap has a different sound.

Took it to the beach a week ago I regularly hunted this summer and to see what myself and others have missed. Usually there's a good mixture of junk and coin targets so I can learn how it behaves. Foil might be the problem, we'll see.

Out on the beach and other spots it would not ground balance, played with it for several hours. Falses like an old TR disc. machine when sweeping the ground, no way you could tell if the signal was anything. Did notice the coil connector on the box where was not tight.. opened the box pulled out the PCB and found the nut holding the connector to the ground plate would not tighten. Would also not loosen, it was cross threaded. Wondered if this is part of the GB problem.

Replaced the connector plug so that it now makes solid contact with the copper ground plate.
Now Ground Balances and gives off distinct sounds when going over different targets.
Very Nice!

Used Killer B's and my homemade headphones and find that the Killers have a crisper sound that is a
little annoying with the TH. When using my headphones found that the sounds are a little bass and any coins within 4" from the coil give off a mellower sound than start to get crispier as you increase the distance between the coin and coil. Then they get fainter as distance increases again. Hot Rocks can be tuned out, they give off a zip sound. You can almost get a beer cap to disc out, again gives off a different tone.

Air testing has no problem getting a faint sound at 12" using a half dime.

Will have to see how it does for actual coin hunting as the disc. is almost like no disc.

Since it does have 7 adjustable pots inside, wondering if the designer gave this detector the ability to up the disc. range to make it more coin huntable?

------------------------------------------------
Here's some feed back I got when I first bought it:

The Ground Hawk is a very sensitive machine and when the sensitivity is cranked up it will find tiny
objects some other detectors will not even hear and was a real eye opener in this iron infested site I had
worked with some success with a Toltec 100.Iron was everywhere and it became a test of patience to
listen to all the signals and waiting for a good solid signal as i checked in both modes,I worked it about
an hour before it got dark and got no keepers. Granted I have have not yet learned the language of this
detector and in the right kind of sites could do extremely well with more time with the unit,as Tex
seems to have picked it up quickly and is making good finds. When in iron discriminate and the target
is deep(3 ringer freshly buried at 8") the response is like a little smooth zip sound in one direction and
in the other direction is a quicker zip followed by a tink sound whereas iron that is not fully
discriminated has a similar response but is shorter and not as smooth and sometimes will break up
some when hit from different directions, the response is kind of like a Sov but different and of course in
one tone. Frank in VA
I'm an old school relic hunter. I don't mind picking thru trash while checking each target. I hear iron
very well with this machine. So that will eliminate the need to check every target. I hunt mostly in the
iron belt region of Virginia. So far no problems ground balancing and discriminating iron. Good luck
and don't be afraid to run your sensitivity near 5, it will still get deep targets. I set my disc on 6 all the
time and don't lock it. When checking the target larger pieces of iron are eliminated. I also like the solid
coil. Went thru the bean stalks problem free. Got a few new fields to try tomorrow. I will post on
Sunday. Tex

==========================================================
I never did get out to hunt more than once with it before the snow fell and everything froze over. It did go deep at the beach on coins, about the same depth as a hot Tesoro.
Lots of black sand mixed in with the beach sand. Always had a large fuzz ball stuck on the magnet in my scoop.
Biggest problem, small tin foil drove it crazy.
Never really had a chance to give a good work out and see if it had real potential.
Just before Springtime I moved into Northern Canada, ended up selling it along with some other machines.

Now there might be a good reason why some units were bad, read the second last post: [compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me