Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

why do you buy a new toy

Posted by Caretaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
why do you buy a new toy
April 08, 2013 11:21PM
I've been seeing a rash of new toy buying the last 6 months, sure there are a lot of new ones coming out, but why buy new ones when you have some what new ones already, so why do you guys buy a new one and buy the real costly ones, my last one , that I bought was an AT Pro, I got it because I liketo hunt in the rain and the XLT didn't like the rain , I got a CZ20 used, a real good price, and I got that one for the beach, I live 5 miles from the ocean, this winter it paid for itself 5 times over and more, I'm a thinking some of you get a new one to try to go a little deeper in some great sites you have hunted, am I right, or do you just like new detectors every year, wish I could do that, have nothing aganist it, I love hearing the reports on them
Re: why do you buy a new toy
April 08, 2013 11:59PM
I'm not one to buy anything new. I let others do all the work and then sit back and evaluate their results. After the excitement dies down then the real capability and shortcomings get aired. I've not found one yet that would provide some superior ability, it's always two steps forward and two steps back. Unless something comes along with better depth, better TID, better separation and unmasking, or some other quality improvement that isn't offset by having an equally large deficit in another area, I have to pass.

Not going to switch to a waterproof detector that has less depth or a deep detector that doesn't discriminate well - that's the problem with new detectors, you have to need their specialize enhancement and not need whatever they lack in other areas. Haven't seen anything yet that is a real enhancement I need. Perhaps someone will design a detector that is truly the cat's meow and combines all the best science to make a truly remarkable detector that is worthy of the upgrade cost.
April 09, 2013 01:39AM
Only time I buy new toys is when the old ones are "wore out".....same way with trucks. I like learnin' my 'tector and usin' it for years....works for me!
April 09, 2013 06:36AM
I look at each detector like tools in a tool box. Each has its own purpose. Yes you can get by with one all around detector in most locations sort of like a present wrench for most nuts and bolts, but it is not the perfect tool for every situation. That having been said, I guess my all around tools would be my Cz6a and sovereign GT. My specific use tools would be the Excalibur II and Whites dual field and Tosoro Sand Shark for water hunting (You can never have too many machines for water hunting becauseof the likelihood of machine failure especially in salt water.). The Vista Gold and Gold bug II for prospecting and small gold beach hunting. And lastly the G2 for park hunting and coins. Just my take on things. Of course I do enjoy trying out new machines and finding out their strengths and weaknesses.
April 09, 2013 06:43AM
Because I can afford one ?

I like my Tectors and probably like the challenge they pose getting to know them even more.
Some do have advantages over others, some are heavy, some are light, some are fast, some are deep, etc. etc.

Mostly these "edges" are primarily luxuries, because a good weatherproof allrounder will probably end up being used most of the time.
And I do like my detecting luxuries!

HH
Johnb
April 09, 2013 06:47AM
The main reason I sometimes buy a new detector or coil is if I think it will detect targets that my other detectors can't.

If it can't do that, I sell it.

No one detector does it all. There are multi frequencies, single frequencies, high frequencies and coils of many sizes and shapes. They each have unique abilities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 06:59AM by Badger in NH.
April 09, 2013 01:04PM
I buy used, cheaper loose a lot less money when reselling.
Looking for a machine that fit's my personality, handles local soils, and finds targets better than the previous......

Think about it for a minute guys, do you choose your detector depending upon what you look for in a mate?
Do you like them easy going, stable, no drama, attractive.....................
Or do you like them indecisive, sparky, sophisticated........................
Or do you want a rough unattractive, big boned factory worker, that gets the job done...........LOL.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 09, 2013 01:06PM
Depends on the individual as many old timers still have the 20 year old unit that they learned well and some fellows have a garagefull and whatever works.

Personally I got caught up in the (addiction) via the internet and thru careful trading buying selling bartering etc. must have owned and used over 100 different models some twice but no regrets as I sure learned a lot along the way while my hunting partner just held onto his XLT and became sort of a Guru with it.

No right or wrong way and of course if you engage in more than one facet certainly one unit won't hack it and when all is said and done we only go around once...
April 09, 2013 02:44PM
Hey Sven, I need to borrow your wife thats posing on the cycle to do my digging this summer!smiling smiley
April 09, 2013 08:58PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Sven, I need to borrow your wife thats posing
> on the cycle to do my digging this summer!smiling smiley

She's all yours, she's a real digger, that's how she got to look the way she does. She nearly dug up an entire 1800's town bottle dump in several days............
traded her off for the summer for a Coinstrike, so you'll have to check back in the fall. By the way she eats steaks, roast pig and lamb chops.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 09, 2013 09:36PM
Hahah I don't know about the whole mate picking thing.

I want my detectors to be vocal....want my woman to be quiet.
I want my detectors to be light weight...but prefer women with some meat on 'em.
I want my detectors to not eat a lot of batteries...but enjoy a woman who can sit down and eat instead of pick at food like a bird.
I like detectors that are easy to understand....no man has EVER understood a woman. Ever.
Detectors don't get jealous of you liking other detectors...women hate other women when it comes to men.

However there are some similarities in them:

They both cost a lot of money.
Good ones are far and few between.
If you do find a good one, you'd best keep it around a while.