Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D - The Second Time Around...

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D - The Second Time Around...
April 10, 2013 05:17AM
I had a Tom calibrated cz-3d last year, but I threw in the towel after a couple months.

The slower optimum sweep speed was a negative for me, but the biggest issue was the iron falsing.

But the detector kept calling me back. The depth, the enhanced mode and nickels in high tone were all positives that led me to cz-3d #2.

My second cz-3d has now found me some good seconds - my second Barber Quarter and my second and third Standing Libertys both in the same hole. The "d" and "s" mintmarks would have been fortunate, unfortunately no dates.

I've had the detector a couple weeks now and I've been digging a lot of intentional nails to educate myself. So far I've only had two digs that I called nail that turned out to be coins. One was a rosie. Finding a keeper in that circumstance is bittersweet since it's kind of frustrating to know I could have easily passed it up.

I've had more digs that I thought were coins turn out to be nails, but still almost always coin (or some other high conductor) when I thought coin.

I've committed myself to learning this detector well, and there are definitely a good percentage of spots where I'm going to use it instead of my AT Pro.

Thanks to all the skilled cz users on this forum who have shared tips both recent and not so recent. And, of course, thanks to Tom whose calibration has brought so many of these detectors up to spec.
Re: CZ-3D - The Second Time Around...
April 10, 2013 06:09AM
The depth and uncanny ability to pull the deeper older coins with a crisp but faint tone is just amazing.

I had my other half stitch up a lightweight holster, the control box is now a chest mount.
Weight issue addressed.

Last hunt saw me drop the sens to just about 2 1/2, disc at 4 in salt mode.
It becomes a much more docile unit and still has ample depth for recently dropped surface coins.
However this is not the strong point of the CZ-3D.
It is designed to dig deep in firm ground. And that it does really well!

HH
Johnb
April 10, 2013 12:49PM
Slow is the way to go for deep coins and believe me CZ's coil for coil are as deep or deeper than any including the newest kids on the block.

Learn to ground balance by bobbing as an accurate ground balance equates to more depth and a stable unit.

Again google Mikes CZ page as its a wealth of info especially how to get around the likeness for deep rusty nails.

Don't come overnight but in time rusty nails will be few and deep coins will be many.

Good luck in your ventures and have some good CZ guys on this forum so any questions fire away...
April 11, 2013 06:34AM
Marcomo you may well want to view Tom's DVDs if you haven't already. He covers ground pretty rapidly with a CZ and VERY effectively. Just a thought.
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 12, 2013 02:15AM
Good advice, Tom. Coincidentally, I was thinking just last night that I need to put his DVD on again.
April 14, 2013 03:50AM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I had my other half stitch up a lightweight
> holster, the control box is now a chest mount.
> Weight issue addressed.
>
>> that it does really well!

Can you post a pic of your lightweight holster design?
Thanks............see ya yardhunter
April 14, 2013 07:45AM
I'll fix up some pics as soon as we get home.

Suspended by 2 loops at the side and center of gravity means the box doesn't have the tendency to dip.
Broad strip at the bottom carries the weight of the box.
Velcro strip at the back through the slot in the belt attachment secures the lot.

A typical belt from a cheapo backpack can be used to clip to the loops.
You can wear it around your neck or bandoleer style.
A bit of leightweight bungee for tent poles at the bottom of the unit support strip around your waist, helps with the dangling effect when bending down.

I wanted something extremely lightweight.

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2013 08:15AM by scoopjohnb.
April 14, 2013 07:49AM
Saving to get my next CZ. I liked the ability to wear it on my belt.
April 14, 2013 11:15AM
Nice job scoop and other half.

I switch arms when detecting, so belt mount interferes if unit is on either side. Mounted in front, I can't bend with out the unit digging into my gut. Chest mount is the way to go for me.
April 14, 2013 03:57PM
Every Tuesday she disappears to a secret society of sewing women, leaving me and the dog to fend for ourselves.
Dog gets a bone, I get a beer or my trusty tector and we enjoy a few hours without.

I simply cashed in on that wealth of accumulated sewing knowledge.

HH
Johnb
April 15, 2013 04:24AM
Awesome pics....I'm setting my 3D up like that this week.
Thanks for sharing.............see ya yardhunter
April 15, 2013 05:07AM
Never underestimate accumulated sewing knowledge...good job with the design!
April 15, 2013 06:01AM
I'll give Mrs Scoop your thumbs up.

HH
Johnb