Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which coil would you recomend for the G2;.Detech Ultimate DD 13" or SEF Tornado DD 12"x13"

Posted by Whimpster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need some help on deciding which coil to buy...can any one recommend or give their experience on either coil?
I'm looking for a larger coil for my G2.....Detech Ultimate DD 13" or NEL Tornado DD 12"x13".
Also whats the best place to order either coil from?

Thanks everyone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 08:28PM by Whimpster.
I think the tornado is made by NEL...not SEF....

But to say which one is better is probabbly going to be tough...

I would think the overall fit and finish of the detech 13 would be of slightly better quality....And maybe lighter ...not sure?

I have also found that a round coil will have slightly better audio at depth when compared to an OUT OF ROUND coil on certain detector's but they are usually sloweer sweep detector's......although the 12x13 is not that out of round....The G2 being a machine able to handle a faster sweep with tighter tighter response can handles out of round coil's with depth happening.

I am supposed to have a 13 ultimate to test out in a few day's hopefully...Will reprot what I find on my end...

Keith
We tested the Ultimate DD on the Omega and G2, and have also tested them on the T2 and F75.

What you end up with, is a lot more ground coverage than the other coils...that is a gimme though with it being so big.

I hope I don't confuse you or anything, but we didn't really find them to be penetrating into the ground deeper than say the 8.5x11 coil on coin sized objects and smaller. There is quite a depth increase on bigger targets though. What it does for the coin sized objects is that it allows for a better overall ID of the target vs the other coils. I.E. if the 8.5x11 coil is detecting a dime at 6 inches and say it is on the fringe of the ID system of the detector. So it is giving an audio/visual ID that is bouncing between iron and non iron but mostly staying iron. Going to the bigger coil will mean that the same dime at 6 inches will now ID a little better and more consistent to where it should be IDing...however you're probably not going to be getting a signal on small objects any deeper than the 8.5x11 can go....but you just may dig more targets that aren't as iffy sounding/IDing at that same depth level. Clear as mud? LOL

The Ultimate worked extremely well on the Omega though...we just didn't see that same kind of performance jump via the G2, T2, and F75.
Thanks Keith and Daniel for the info....I've got a omega 8000 as well so it will be used on either detector...just need to decide on which coil to buy..
I have to disagree with Daniel on this. I have done side by side comparisons on my G2 with the stock 11" and the 13" Ultimate...there absolutely IS a discernable depth increase on even coin size objects . My findings puts it easily at 1 & 1/2" up to 3" depth increase over the stock coil in MY ground. I have went back over sites that had completely stopped producing and found a staggering amount of keepers at levels of 8-14" down with the Ultimate coil.
Numerous CW bullets at 9-11" down
A CW sabre belt hook at 10"
And just this past weekend a shotgun shell hull at 14" MEASURED
The stock 11" coil maxes out on standard 58 cal CW bullets at 8-9". I had hunted with the G2 with stock coil for over 2 years and never found a bullet past 9". I have owned my Ultimate coil for about 9 months now? And have pulled over 30 bullets at the 9-11" mark. I think it is telling that the Ultimate coil has not come off my G2 since I got it. JMHO
I don't think you disagreed with me...I think we're actually on the same page. In your post about digging the shotgun shell when you described the signal you got, by your own admittance, it wasn't a good signal...but a bouncy one that went between iron and non iron. You knew from experience that it was an indicator of a deeper non ferrous target at the fringe of detection. Therefore I would imagine the shotgun shell would have given a better more consistent ID at just a touch shallower...say a couple inches, that a non seasoned person would have recognized as a good signal. That's more the less what I was saying. With it being a low conductive signal, the G2 should hit it better than it can a coin.

Civil War relics are a bit different than coins though. Most all buttons are low conductors which the high freq of the G2 likes well. Bullets are mid conductive...usually coming in at the tab-zinc range. When I'm talking coin sized objects, I'm specifically talking about dime size coins. For those, we just didn't see that much of an increase in depth with what we tested. Nothing like what you will see on larger items...but yes, on large lead bullets, j-hooks, etc (all that you have been digging deeper) there is an increase. On those .69 cal three ringers, it was a big jump in depth. I was actually getting the Omega to hit a .58 minie at 12 inches in red dirt with the 13" Ultimate but it wasn't a signal most people would have dug...very much like how you described your shotgun shell signal. The bigger the object the better it is too...compare a breastplate's detection depth between the 11" and 13" Ultimate and it will wow you.

My buddy and I hunted together when I had the Omega. He had the 13" DD for his G2 and I had one on the Omega. At one site, we were signal checking isolated bullets from a skirmish....between the G2 and Omega in the wide open for bullets, the edge is there for the Omega for sure...especially for deep ones. However when we swapped sites and coils...and went to an old homesite that had been torn down, he spanked me on being able to work in the iron debris.
Interesting and good write-up/reporting dynamics with this thread. Good psychological 'understanding'.