Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, air test instructions ?

Posted by Esteban 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, air test instructions ?
May 02, 2013 12:15PM
Personally, I think there is just too much talk , time, & forum space used for " air test " results. I am sure many will disagree with me, too. I have a CZ3d [ # 1121 ], tuned by Tom, & a CZ5, tuned by First Texas while it was there for repairs. Testing outside with ZERO interference , the CZ3d has a slight advantage , approximately 1/2" , as best as I can determine . I rather see what each will do in the ground. Both of these CZ's will hit a clad dime buried at 10" in my yard. I keep thinking that I will sell on of these units, [ HARD to do ] & I have the CZ5 listed for sale on a couple of forums, but no real interest, it seems. I am not going to give it away.

Now, the question for Tom is ;

How exactly, step by step , do you perform an air test on the CZ3 , 5, & 6's ?
Re: Tom, air test instructions ?
May 02, 2013 11:53PM
Help! Can someone save me the time....... and find the somewhat lengthy post I made on exactly this.
May 03, 2013 02:18AM
going by memory here.......

test target used a modern clad dime.

gb @ 10

sens @ 4.5-5.0

disc @ 1

vol @ max

a past thread showing anothers test results with various targets...............

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2013 02:35AM by seeker41.
May 03, 2013 06:41AM
Disc 0
May 03, 2013 11:38AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Help! Can someone save me the time....... and find
> the somewhat lengthy post I made on exactly this.

I thought I remember a post about it, but couldn't find it !
Is this what you are looking for?
May 03, 2013 05:00PM
Posted by: NASA-Tom (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2007 04:46PM

Place CZ-3D in "Enhanced" mode and:
* Approx. 25% - 40% of new nickels should read 'round-tab' (with mid-tone).
* $5.00 Gold Half-Eagle should read high-tone (Zinc Penny ID).
* U.S. Shield nickel should read high-tone (Nickel ID).
* Zinc pennies should read high tone (High-Coin ID).

Sensitivity/Depth check: Place Sensitivity on '5', Disc '0' and in 'Enhanced' mode:

* U.S. clad dime should air-test & ID correctly at 11.25" (w/8" coil).
* At maximum range... audio response should be short, faint & crisp......and NOT 'smeared/elongated' audio.

Autotune mode should start to produce a faint audio threshold tone/hum at sensitivity settings above '9'.

Just a few 'quick-checks'.
Re: Is this what you are looking for?
May 03, 2013 10:09PM
Scott B .......... that's one of them. Thanks!
May 04, 2013 03:13AM
[www.dankowskidetectors.com] this is a informative one! HH
May 04, 2013 09:59AM
Thanks Scott & RapidRoy , for the info I was looking for.
May 04, 2013 12:43PM
How come no one ever compares depth from one Explorer to another, one F75 etc. to another seems to me we are beating a dead horse to death.

All I know is CZ's go deep in the field where it counts and not a fan of air testing and I speak from experience owning every model ever made some several times.

Anyone know the air test spec's of Explorers, F75's etc. as only fair to test the competition as I would be bet there are hot and cold versions of any model ever made.
May 04, 2013 01:03PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How come no one ever compares depth from one
> Explorer to another, one F75 etc. to another seems
> to me we are beating a dead horse to death.

I agree 100% .
I know it is just a standard way to test a CZ, [ or any other detector ] but I put a lot more faith in how well a detector performs in my soil , & what I want to use it for. It seems silly to me that someone may turn down a detector that air tests at 9 1/2 " , because they must find one that will go to 10". With my CZ5 , that I am selling, everyone wants to know air tests . I may just tell everyone that mine air tests at 10.17355856247" deep !! I may just put it on the auction site since forums seem to rarely have anyone who is really looking to buy.

Thread can be closed as far as I am concerned .
May 04, 2013 05:09PM
If people want to know the air test and it will sell your CZ5 then why not give it to them. Many buy a cheaper unit and send it to Tom. If yours doesn't need to be sent to Tom just post it. It's diappointing to know a guy has one that goes 2" deeper, hence the hunt for a 1020 or other that is hot.