Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

need a waterproof probe to use in water

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
need a waterproof probe to use in water
May 02, 2013 02:22PM
is there such a thing ?i have a garret probe but no idea how i could make it useable under water
Re: need a waterproof probe to use in water
May 02, 2013 03:33PM
Try a ziploc storage bag.

You could even wrap it in celophane first, then put it in the sealed bag squeezing out as much air as possible. Wrap some tape around it and mark where the button is if you can't see it. That should seal it up pretty well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 03:35PM by Badger in NH.
May 02, 2013 03:35PM
Have you seen these? I have a Vibraprobe, it works great for me.
[www.treasureproducts.com]
May 02, 2013 08:00PM
Get yourself a bicycle tire tube 26". Cut it longer than you need and slip your Garrett inside. Fold over the ends and tape with this stuff.

[www.homedepot.com]

It will not leak and you can feel the Garrett on/off button through the tube.

Total price about 15.00

Here is a picture of one I did trying to keep my Garrett safe and working longer. Ignore the jokes. I know what it looks like.

[metaldetectingforum.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 08:08PM by goodmore.
May 02, 2013 08:11PM
Having dunked a land unit many years ago don't know if I would want to put my Garrett probe in the water but sounds like it would work...On the other hand using one made to be submersed especially if used a lot would be my choice....
PS: land unit dried out as it was fresh water and worked well after I resoldered a wire that broke a solder joint and probably saved my unit but never used one in this fashion again...live and learn....
May 02, 2013 09:14PM
Genius! Goodie. I think I would print Garrett Pro Pointer on it, in yellow, though.
May 02, 2013 11:11PM
Vibraprobe!
May 03, 2013 01:49PM
when does the vibraprobe come on ? in what orientation is the ON and what is the OFF .
say it was pointing straight vertically down into the water on a wooden or plastic pole would it be on or off ?
May 03, 2013 04:04PM
You point the Vibraprobe up to turn it on, it will vibrate one short pulse to let you know that it is on. After one minute of not detecting metal it will turn it self off. It will give a a long vibration to let you know that it is about to turn off. The closer you are to metal, the faster it will vibrate. There are no buttons at all.
May 03, 2013 08:55PM
Diggers, I assume you are in the U.K? The post about using inner-tubes reminded me of these tubes, for 'difficult to fix' rear wheel punctures. I've never seen one, so don't know how the end is sealed up, but it could probably be sealed to the propointer body just below the battery cap with PVC (or similar) glue, combined with tape.
[www.sjscycles.co.uk]
May 04, 2013 08:18AM
the vibraprobe looks ok but if it keeps turning itself after a minute isnt that a nuisance ?#yep i am in the UK so could order one from kellyco as no stockists over here .
if i have a waterproofed GP on a pole at say 3 feet deep i may not get the vibes whereas the VB looks more sturdy .
May 04, 2013 08:50AM
Here's a Vibraprobe on UK eBay:
[www.ebay.co.uk]
It has been said that the Vibraprobe interferes with some detectors when it is on. And as a result, the one-minute turn-on makes it unusable.
May 04, 2013 12:22PM
I use mine dirt fishing. I love it. The one minute off part is not a problem. When I am detecting, I hold it in my free hand. I just swing it towards my pouch, or the detector shaft. It will not turn off if it detects metal. I think people make too much out of nothing when it comes to turning it off or on. It is a solid unit, and well worth the money.
May 04, 2013 02:35PM
Here's your answer....

[www.youtube.com]

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
May 04, 2013 02:58PM
As a diver, one thing to remember if you do succeed in making it submersible, is if it is negatively, or positively buoyant, & you may want to add a lanyard .
May 05, 2013 01:54AM
I'll tell you this. The 730 model is a hoot. While I'm wading around in the sand my wife takes it into the rocks and mangrove roots. She's found more then I have many times. It's tip up to turn on and do it again for off. No one minute cycle. It gets into nooks and crannies my coil can't.
May 05, 2013 03:04AM
This may or may not exist---caveat emptor

[www.metalprobe.com]
May 05, 2013 12:19PM
It looks like the sides of this probe detect a coin very nicely. But in the dirt I need the tip to do it. Thank you for the link. At least we are seeing new probes being manufactured. The probe I want has yet to be invented.