Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ATPRO w/5x8 in dry soil

Posted by bullshead 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ATPRO w/5x8 in dry soil
May 04, 2013 08:43AM
Out to my local park today,weather has been dry for 2 weeks and the soil was sandy in nature.I use the 5x8 coil in the pro zero mode,gb88-90.Today all signals were loud and wide,found a small silver medallion @ about 4" and it rang loud and clear thru the entire coil.Scanned the hole after the dig and got no other signals.I was almost tempted to get a gallon of water and re-bury the medallion in damp soil.Anybody experience the same in dry conditions?It seemed to me that the pro was extra sensitive to a lot of the signals in the dryer soil.Three weeks ago I pulled a small 3/4 inch sinker @ about 14" in damp soil......vdi'd 83-84 and sounded sweet and silver....I use iron discrim. @ 35.Previously used a GTA 500 for 18 years.....The ATPRO is a beast....it's like holding a tiger by its tail....and I mean that in a positive manner.
Re: ATPRO w/5x8 in dry soil
May 04, 2013 05:15PM
I have the same set up. It is a very good unit when hitting on all cylinders and
will definitely get the job done. Garrett is a top notch / customer friendly company.

It took me 1 painful year to iron out the problems but I am glad I stuck with it and
glad Garrett was there with me through the entire journey.

The 5 X 8 coil is an absolute must and performs almost as deep as the stock coill.

Your GB values are very similar to my area.

I am balanced usually at 90 or 91 dirt or dry sand , , , 17 wet sand . . . 13 in salt surf
and I stay at 35 iron disc. too.

Silver coins register as a solid 92 on my VDI . . . anything less ( 90 ) might be a
silver earring ? Below that is usually clad or some other composite object.

HH and Enjoy.
May 04, 2013 09:24PM
Man, I REALLY need to get this coil! Just yesterday one of my detecting buddies was pulling old pennies and high-conductive trash targets out of a local Park here using a slightly negative bias and the 5x8" coil. Crazy deep with targets 'just over' the length of his Garrett Pin-Pointer. Not bad, not bad at all!

Cheers,
May 06, 2013 02:17AM
I got that coil this winter, just put it on my machine this weekend, going to try it at some trashy back yards this week, machine seems real light now
May 06, 2013 07:58AM
The 5x8 coil makes the ATPRO a 'fly weight'. I have not used the 8.5x11 since getting the 5x8.I will start using the 8.5 when the beaches open up here in Staten Island,post Sandy
May 06, 2013 10:12AM
With the stock 8.5 X 11 DD I am limited to about an hour or so of swing time.
It will wear you out very quickly at the beach.

If there was a long enough cable? to allow belt or chest mounting the control? . . .
then you could do 3 or 4 hours with rests in between and not experience so much
soreness?

I was recently at the beach and forced myself to swing that 8.5 X 11 DD for more hours
than I should have and by the following Fr. . . . I was still sore . . . and wondering why
it has to be this way ? When the solution is a simple . . . longer cable?
i.e. Unless Garrett comes up with a lighter stock coil.

Does not compute?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 11:42AM by mcgov51.
May 08, 2013 02:12AM
Yeah....that 8.5x11 is a heavyweight , the one time I used it my shoulder ached througout my hunt....I had to stop occasionally . On the good side,you have to dig more signals that you may not normally dig just to get a rest.....never know what could turn up........trying to stay positive!
May 08, 2013 12:58PM
From using previous Garretts in the water know they are gold ring magnets so ought to try it in the water.

Wish they would have made that screen a tad bigger for us oldies......

Garrett is very easy to work with so add it all together and you have a nice unit at a moderate price judging by some of the othe outfits prices...