Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Decision time

Posted by DonM 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Decision time
May 08, 2013 08:36PM
I recently acquired a 1021 CZ3D ( I have owned a CZ model pretty well ever since they came out) and I also own a 1266x........but I am in position to make a swap of my 1266x for an F5 - question is would I regret making that swap - any thoughts?

I know the F5 will not get the depth of the 1266x but I also know that down the road that it may become impossible to get repair work done of the 1266x due to a lack of parts - that is probably one of the biggest reasons why I am even considering doing this change. The 1266x is in perfect shape right now and I figure that most of hunting will be done with the CZ3D but I am tempted to get the F5 as a backup for the simple reason that it might not be as noisy in a trashy setting.

It is tempting to try the F5 since I am mainly a coinshooter -- any input would be appreciated.
Re: Decision time
May 08, 2013 10:48PM
I own a newer model F5 and is light, not noisy, very large meter face with a host of options that really work well and gets decent depth...I feel it would make a good combo with a CZ that you own....
Excellent coinshooter with right on ID and one must remember the 1266 and CZ would be used for deep coin and relic hunting and although different are duplications for this type of hunting. I would guess condition of either unit would have a bearing but if both were similiar you would be getting the best of the deal...
May 09, 2013 02:03AM
I own both and enjoy both machines, F5 for park and modern sites(coins and jewelry), Light weight, nice tones, ID stays accurate almost to max depth(about 8") , just a fun machine. The CZ comes out for older sites, beach or any place I need more depth. You'll find the F5 to be very tunable to any hunting situation. Read Mike Hillis posts on it, lots of good info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 02:05AM by Beach.
May 09, 2013 11:40AM
Indeed Mike Hillis seems to be the Guru on this one...Go to the proper forum type his name under search and you will have a lot of reading to do as he really undresses its capabilities with a trick or two.
Certainly nothing against the 1266 as its been the favorite of many for years and those that learned to interpet its language excelled with many deep finds but again its duplication with your CZ and feel the F5 will serve you well for different applications of the hobby...
May 09, 2013 12:57PM
I helped him out somewhat, he didn't mention he lives in Canada as I do.
Totally different ball game hunting for Canadian clad coins, made of nickel plated steel using an ID machine.
ID numbers can be in the low iron to higher high conductor numbers. Then bounce about between numbers.
The $1 and $2 coins are bit easier for the ID detectors.
I have found the best detectors for me to locate the most clad are the older analog type, single or two tone.
The F5, ID EDGE were two machines that I found did well up here for an ID machine, once you figured out the number spread.
Coins on edge always ID'd in the very low iron range, most hunters would discriminate out. I was surprised how many coins others
past up that I found. Now I set my non digital analog beep and digs discrimination to accept a coin on edge. Tesoro were a good unit for
CA coins, nails gave a double blip most of the time and coins on edge gave a good blip that you would dig.

I am going to try out Jamie's Treasure Baron up here. Might find its a great detector to hunt for CA coins.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 09, 2013 03:27PM
Good luck on the Treasure Baron Sven....

Awesome detector....way ahead of it stime in tone feature's and such...

one ting was the coils were not properly shielded on some unit's/Batch's....

I had a buddy who was a distributor here on the East coast....and the coils were finnicky...some good some bad...the problems were falsing on wet grass,,,,stick twig falsing,,,

Not properly shileded was the problem....when you got the coils right it was awesome...DEEEEEP.......

good luck

Keith
May 11, 2013 12:49AM
Concerning the F5....make sure to get it with an 11 inch DD coil as the depth (in my soil and in my test garden) is better than the elliptical.
May 11, 2013 12:50PM
Be aware the 11 inch DD coil is a rusty bottlecap magnet at least in my area which must have had a lot of beer drinkers over the years.Stock coil may hit some of the rusty bottlecaps but the meter ID is all over the place and not a problem...Sure it goes deeper and covers a lot more ground and may work in out of the way places but in most local parks it will call every one of those darn caps a high coin so keep this in mind..Been there done that kind of thing so speaking from actual experience...not something I read...