Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

G2/AT Gold

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
G2/AT Gold
May 14, 2013 10:59PM
Has anyone done any test to see which is deeper and which one has better target separation or are they about equal. Heard the G2 does not get good depth.

Thanks for any info.
Re: G2/AT Gold
May 15, 2013 03:06AM
G2 gets better target separation in my opinion...

the At Gold runs all metal with iron id tone...but the iron i.d. tone is not very deep....so you have to explore the good souning target's till you get close enoug for the tone to work...

I like the G2's all metal very well..

I like the G2 when against the AT gold for low conductor's...the G2 is more reactive...

Keith
May 15, 2013 06:54AM
I use a AT Gold 100% of the time on my hunts and it hits hard on high and low conductors it separates targets in some of the most nail and iron infested sites I hunt. The 5x8" coil is awesome on these machines in trashy sites. I went from finding one or two silver coins a year to finding 6 in the first 4 hunts with the AT-Gold in spots I had hunted to death with a Teknetics T-2 SE,Teknetics G2, Fisher CZ-5 and CZ-3D, Whites XLT, Garrett AT-Pro with stock 8.5x11" coil. The AT-Gold is a awesome machine and the only machine I use, it's going to pay for itself in one season. I also have the AT-Pro as my back-up loan a friend detector. Go on you tube and watch Bill Ladd's video on the AT-Gold and see what it does in a iron infested cellar holes.
May 15, 2013 10:45AM
FOR THE MONEY . . . They ( i.e. the Pro & the Gold ) are excellent MD's.
No doubt.
My Pro is my go to MD . . . even at the beach.
May 15, 2013 03:15PM
Thanks for the in-put everyone.
May 15, 2013 11:32PM
I have the Gold Bug Pro (which is the exact same machine as the G2 but with a different rod configuration)

and

the AT Pro (not the gold)

the AT Pro has an iron audio feature that allows the user to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced) in order to know the whole picture and avoid being tricked into digging an undesired target which also allows you to hunt in iron while picking out the "good stuff" as you'll get high tones coming thru the iron grunts.

Iron Audio also allows the user to adjust the mid-tone’s range to include all targets above the point of discrimination. The user is effectively adjusting the cut-off between Low-tone discriminated trash targets and mid-tone targets. The feature works in both Standard and Pro Modes on the AT Pro.

I believe the AT Gold has this same feature

but

in defense of the Gold Bug Pro/G2

I will say - it smokes the AT Pro in iron infested sites when it comes to target separation and in depth in doing so.

I've never used a machine with such lightning fast response/separation capabilities as the Gold Bug Pro/G2 and the weight is unbelievably light - I can swing it for hrs and hrs with no fatigue what-so-ever!

It all depends on where you're going to use the machine/s and the purpose it/they will be used for as to which one you'd want to buy (personally I'd get both - as I do own both) but if you can only get one - you have to decide which one will fit your hunting style/needs the best

the reason being - the G2/Gold Bug Pro is a *2* tone machine VS the Garretts being *3* tone machines

and so - if you're going to be coin hunting in parks, schools, etc. 90% of the time - the G2/GBP isn't your best choice as you only get "iron tone low OR everything else High tone" and that's it - no low med high to give you a clue to what you're hearing beyond the fact that it's either iron or not

I use my AT Pro for water hunting only now and I use my GBP/G2 for iron infested sites that are pre 1900s mostly (where there is no aluminum, pull tabs, bottle tops, etc.)(i.e. farm fields and woods basically) where the homes/cabins no longer stand and haven't for decades upon decades and even longer but are usually littered with iron. That's where the G2/GBP shines. I'm sure it's great on Gold prospecting too but we don't have gold nuggets here in lower MI so I can't give any input on that use!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 11:02AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
May 16, 2013 04:11AM
Yes MRH hit it on the head in less trashy areas the G2 and Gold Bug Pro are very capable machines but the AT'S shine in trashy areas which is normal at parks and schools and most houses. The AT-Gold in my opinion is a do it all detector. The G2's and GBP loved rusty bottle caps to much for me and that's why I got rid of them. As far as depth goes the AT-gold with 5x8" coil gets around 1-2" deeper than the G2 with 11" DD coil. You put the 8.5x11" coil on the AT-Gold and it will get a little more depth but nothing astounding. I have dug .22 caliber bullets at a measured 7" with the AT-Gold if that tells you how it does on small targets. Which ever you decide on just take your time and learn it and they will do good for you once you learn what their telling you in vdi and the sounds they produce.
May 17, 2013 04:00PM
Having owned and used both the ATG and the Gold Bug Pro with both the 5" and 10" coils, I have one point I would like to add.

I give the Pro points for its light weight and faster recovery time, both of which beat the ATG.

However, that iron audio feature on the ATG, even in all metal mode, is incredible.

I can dig a lot of trash, but I absolutely hate digging bottlecaps. To me, they are pure junk and unlike pulltabs, cannot be confused with jewelry.

However, the Pro will lock onto every bottlecap you come across and give you readings in the low 80's, a good signl indicating a coin.

If you hate bottlecaps like me, that becomes a problem quickly.

Some have tried to develop ways to ID bottlecaps with the Pro, but it never worked for me.

Now with the iron audio feature on the ATG, you will id a bottlecaps almost every time.

So both have some great features, you have to decide which works best for you.

If you do get the G2, I would dump that 11" coil unless you plan to do relic hunting with it. If you want to jewlery hunt, get the 5" or 10" elliptical. They are more sensitive to gold than that 11" coil is.
May 17, 2013 05:52PM
Thanks again everyone. Some real good info here.