Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another 1850s/60s Field Site Dig - GBP/G2

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another 1850s/60s Field Site Dig - GBP/G2
May 20, 2013 01:01AM
Hunted another 1850s/60s field site yesterday - this time where a cabin once stood

had the trusty Gold Bug Pro / G2 with me again :-)

As usual - it was completely iron infested - every swing was iron popping/grunting and grueling but I did pull a few good finds!

Cabin spike
Horse bridal rosette
a few buckles
reeds
suspender clips
flatted thimble
toe tap
buttons
1879 Indian Head
etc.

<center><center><center><center>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 01:31AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Another 1850s/60s Field Site Digs - GBP/G2
May 20, 2013 01:07AM
As I profess to 'push' more folks into hunting carpets of iron nails (heavy/maximum cohabitation).............. this is representative of what starts to come to life.
Kudo's!
Re: Another 1850s/60s Field Site Digs - GBP/G2
May 20, 2013 10:56AM
Very nice finds winking smiley Love the suspender clip with the leaves on it!!!

You obviously are a man of patience, I've never been a fan of the 'carpet of nail' sites. I tend to go nuts after about 5 minutes, lol. From everything I've heard & seen though, those G2's can cut through the junk like a laser beam.

One can only imagine what's waiting to be found there after you clear out the surface trash winking smiley
Re: Another 1850s/60s Field Site Dig - GBP/G2
May 20, 2013 12:48PM
Good site, doesn't look to have been hit much before. I'm getting ready right now to go hike into an old mining camp, same scenerio.
May 20, 2013 01:38PM
Congrats and what a well patina'd Indian Head.

Albert
May 20, 2013 03:14PM
So when you pulled a few of the great finds you got..what did your G2 do to tell you, you had a good target. What did you have your iron set on?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 20, 2013 07:16PM
Thanks guys - it was a fun site to hunt - my buddy pulled a BIG penny (1852) and some nice relics (a clover leaf heel plate and two heart heel plates) some flat buttons/etc.

LowBoy:
I set the disc. at 33/34 to block out nails/bits of iron (as suggested by Keith Southern) and run sens/gain wide open

the nails/bits of iron crack/pop with a low flat tone while big iron tones low but more sharp sounding and everything else beyond iron has a higher tone

deeper targets are fuzzy sounding and shallow targets are a zippy/snappy sound

without even looking at the meter you can tell the diff in a good target or unwanted

but

some of the iron targets are good (like the iron buckles) so you don't want too much disc or you'll block stuff like that out (and also deep coins)

usually an unwanted target will sound good one way but have a low/broken tone the other way (you can always check the meter for ref. too) - if the ID is jumping - it's usually junk.

You can tell if the target is round or not too

when you hit a round target it sounds off clear and crisp and hits it 360 degrees

square/rectangle and odd shaped targets have good sound one way - turn 90* and they sort of blank out/crackle then 90* again and they hit good again, etc.

it takes a few times out with it to get used to its language but once learned - it's a killer machine in the iron!

I wouldn't hunt a park or school, etc. with it though - it loves tinfoil and bottle tops/etc. so it's virtually about useless for that style of hunting (although) I will be beach hunting with it this summer looking for gold/rings, etc. because digging in the sand VS the ground is a whole diff story when it comes to the trash/aluminum tinfoil, etc.
May 20, 2013 07:58PM
nice digs!!

That site runs till about 1880-1890... bur the artifacts....looks like it had quite a span....from 1830's till about 1890's..

Keith
May 20, 2013 10:57PM
Is there a detector that will detect coins and rings without detecting bottle tops
And tin toil?

Or is there a machine that lets you know more about the target your about to dig,
That lets you avoid digging the above?

I'm guessing most machines have trouble with these.

Not sure if it is possible but a cool detector for the future would be
Something that has ground readout with the actaul 3d shape of the target
Detected Visible on screen. How cool would that be?

Joe
May 21, 2013 03:45AM
Nice finds! I love the gb pro. I do disagree with one thing...I find the vdi very accurate, and easy to coinshoot.
May 23, 2013 03:58AM
Great saves.

I'am hunting a site very similiar to yours. Having a lot of success.

Keep at it.
May 29, 2013 01:50AM
Nice finds, got to love The G2. Try the 13" coiltec coil on it.