Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A lesson learned

Posted by ronin12524 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A lesson learned
May 27, 2013 12:00PM
I hunt in Glenham park with creek along side of it. The spot I hunt is near the creek and under a  shade  tree. Even though the park is from the 1970s the area has been populated since the 1700s.  I had high hopes for this park but it has to much trash. 

I hunt there only because its close to me. My finds have been clad and one wheat penny. After a year or so I seem to have it  cleaned it out..  The major problem with this site is the amount of bottle caps. You cant make one swing without getting multiple hits of trash.  And the trash is a good 4 to 5 inches deep. And most of the time they sound great, but the vdi numbers are all over the place.

I went out Sunday for a brief hunt and gave up looking for coins, and instead I decided to see what kind of trash I was not digging up with my Fisher F75 ltd . I usually get good tones but the vdi number would change with every sweep. I swept an area roughly 3 feet by 3 feet and dug up more than a dozen  bottle caps with vdi  numbers ranging  from the 20s to the upper 60s.  It seemed to depend on depth and wether they were crushed or not and if I changed the sweep speed or height. Which I normally do to check . If the vdi stays consistent I know its a coin, and if its all over the place its trash.

While cleaning up this area I got a hit with a steady vdi number of 81 and it was 9 inches deep. Dug down and what to my surprise a 1944 quarter!  And then a  couple of feet later I got a another hit also about 9 inches down, a 1964 dime!  My  first silver for the year!  

Lesson learned. Trust my instincts and clean up the top layer of trash that maybe hiding the silver below it.
Re: A lesson learned
May 27, 2013 03:29PM
Yes clean it up and all the goodies will come but cleaning it up will take a lot of effort maybe someone can help with an idea how to do this.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 28, 2013 09:40AM
"Beneath The Mask"
May 28, 2013 11:39AM
Thanks Tom.
The article explains what I have experienced especially thinking that that the detector had little ability to go deep.
Can the new ctx3030 see through the mask?
May 28, 2013 01:25PM
Years ago hunting a local park from the late 1800's and still being used I came upon a hunter with a uniques idea...He puts four post in the ground and runs string from two on each side about the size of his natural swing..Runs in all metal and cleans out most of the junk targets and then becomes selective. Seems like even a piece of trash or tab can mask a good target that was near. When I stopped to talk he had just gone about 10 ft. after cleaning out the trash and had a buffalo nickle and a gold wedding band and well I had a pouch full of clad...I sometimes think patience and ingenuity and not the detector is where its at.
May 28, 2013 05:43PM
Tom after trying your experiment in "Beneath the Mask" although in a miniscule way in a 6 ft by 6 ft section. After 3.5 hours I am exhausted. And I only did less then a 3 by 6 area. Pulling out all trash. I even cheated a bit by putting the f75 in JE mode, disc1, and tone 1, Sens. 99. . Then I went over the same area in the BP , and found smaller trash such as tiny foil. Maybe I'll continue tomorrow. And stay in the 3 by 6 area since it ia almost done.

I am in awe of your perseverance. You must be more than human to have done the inside of a baseball diamond in just a week as you described in your article. Thank you for your time and effort and in sharing your experience.

Dan-Pa I must agree with you with it is the skill and PATIENCE of the person more then the detector.
May 28, 2013 11:00PM
No electromagnetic detection device (today's current technology metal detectors) can 'see through' one metal object .... and see/report a deeper weaker metal object.

More than human?
(((More like neurotic/psychosis mono-maniac)))