Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just getting started and have a question

Posted by mickeyd 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just getting started and have a question
June 05, 2013 12:26AM
Buying my first detector and don't want to buy a new detector until I see how I like metal detecting. Of the two, which would be the beter detector to start with? A Whites Eclipse 950, track e series, or a Fisher CZ6a? I will be using it for searching around old building sites,etc. Any comments would be appreciated.
Re: Just getting started and have a question
June 05, 2013 12:36AM
The CZ-6a is the one I would take of the 2 it's a good beginner machine or a great machine for a seasoned veteran!! It's a simple machine with exceptional capabilities in depth and tones it's a also rain and splash proof. The E-Series of the Whites can be over whelming as far as all the adjusting you have to do in order to get maximum performance. Just my two cents!!
June 05, 2013 01:00AM
Welcome aboard.

May I ask what type hunting you want to do..

Why have you chosen these 2 models

Do you know the soil types you have in your area...or if not where are you located..

I ask this because if you make the wrong choice the odds are you will become discouraged...

Or you will spend alot cash trying to figure out what you need..

Keith
June 05, 2013 01:01AM
Welcome mickeyd.
I'm a cz fan, so that would be my choice for you. The cz is a simpler unit and it's more of a manual operation than the 950, therefore you will be starting off with the basics, like learning tone hunting and manual ground balancing. Simple doesn't mean weak, as the cz's are one of the deeper units...still. They aren't the best in trash areas though, but excel in farm type fields with minimal trash. My guess would be, if you got the cz, you wouldn't get rid of it even if you went on to purchase another more modern unit in the future.
June 05, 2013 01:09AM
The reason I picked these 2 is because these are 2 uses ones for sale in my area. The types of soils I mostly have in my area are loomy to slightly sandy but occasionally a little clay. The CZ6a includes:
cz6a detector
standard 8 in coil & cover
brand new/unused 5 in coil & cover
extra lower rod
nut/bolts/washers
new audion 200 headphones with upgraded ear cuffs
Fisher leather/vinyl carry case
Everything for $500, sound like a good deal?
June 05, 2013 01:27AM
Are you coin hunting? relic Hunting? Jewelry beach? Prospecting any?

For coin's the Cz6a has served many well...

yet it is getting on in years and hope it's in order...

there are machines right now on the market that are able to due double and triple duty for around the price your paying...

Not that the CZ is a bad machine its alot fo folks favorite on here for coin hunting..Their built tough ..Tom can tune one up..

But I like more modern features on a machine...especially adjustable tone break's and DD coil's.....

But I now it being local you can go see it and that measn alot...especially when your going in new to the hobby..

I would take a CZ over a older whites like you describe if you are coin hunting..yet if I was to hunt for deep relics the whites does have a quite usable all metal mode..

keith
June 05, 2013 01:51AM
Having used various Whites detectors and every CZ model ever made its a no brainer to pick a CZ as they are user friendly and even though Whites makes excellent detectors they have programs are complicated and can even be mind boggling for a seasoned detectorist not alone newbies..

PS: happen to have a super nice CZ7A ( digital later model CZ) for sale so if interested ring my chimes....Detectdan@msn.com
Refer [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
June 05, 2013 01:57AM
I will use it mostly for coin and relic hunting.
June 05, 2013 01:58AM
Mickeyd... I'm not familiar with the Whites Eclipse 950, but I have and use the CZ6a plus an AT Pro. I find the CZ6a to be the cats meow on the beach. No having to figure out what the numbers say... there aren't any :-) There is a needle that is used to ID a target and it's pretty darn accurate except for old bent rusty nails. It likes to ID them as a high tone (silver/coins) so you need to spend some time reading up on how to tell if it's nails or not. If it's hard dirt, I won't dig anything that gives me a low iron tone when I circle around the target. I'm sure I miss some good targets due to big iron or rusty nails being in close proxmidity to the good targests, but I'm getting old and will not play around with a target very long trying to ID it. In the sand, wet or dry, I dig anything that isn't iron, and sometimes even iron if the depth meter is around 8" or more. I hunt at the beach by tones and rarely look at the meter. It's much quicker that way, and the more targets you dig, the better chance you have of finding a really good target. I think the CZ6a is a very good detector and as one poster said, you will most likely keep it even if/when you try another detector out. I would not want to be without a CZ6a/CZ3d in my arsenal. It's that good.

I tried a Fisher F5 once. Thought it would be great with all the adjustments on it, but could never decide if I had it set up right with all those knobs. I like easy/simple as long as it's good. Sounds like the Whites Eclipse 950 might be in the same catagory. I think 500 for two coils and extra rod plus the other goodies is a good price for a CZ6a. Test it out with a clad dime to see what it air tests at. If it's over 10", you're ready to go. Many of them will go 11-12" on a dime. You can use the search feature here to see how to go about doing the test. I've found a lot of silver and a few gold rings with mine in dry dirt. I only get to beach hunt once a year so I've not found a lot there with mine yet, but hope to next vacation week.

Best of luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 02:01AM by connortn.
June 05, 2013 02:03AM
I've never used one but from what I've read a Garrett AT Pro is a nice detector to start with. It also has good resell. Many have stated it's no slouch in iron for the price you pay plus it's weatherproof. You may or may not like detecting. I know for sure you won't if you don't find very much. Maybe some will comment on how user friendly the AT Pro is. User friendly metal detectors are really the way to get started IMO. A modest priced detector that can handle bottle caps is what I would be after and one that can handle at least moderately mineralized soil and a meter would be there too for sure. Good luck with your decsion.
June 05, 2013 02:13AM
Well Mickey if everthing is in order witht he CZ then I think you would be better served with it..If those are the 2 your debating between...

Good luck let us know what you find on the CZ in airtesting it...

set sens as high as you can without noise...usually around 5 or 6 on the sens...use a clad dime...see how far out it hit's...set the Ground on 10 for best depth in airtest..dont disc anything out.. yet dont set it into autotune that's turned to far ...go to the iron icon...

do it outside away from the house.

Keith
June 05, 2013 03:00AM
I don't know what led you here mick but this is abit like walking into the Apple Store and asking which to buy , an IPhone or Samsung. The majority of the folks here are Fisher cultists but you had your mind made up when you posted , didn't you? I've not used the CZ but for a bunch of tech geeks , complaining and criticizing the e-series as complicated is a little ironic. Personally , I'd belly up an extra C-note and buy a new AT Pro , get the modern technology and if you don't like it and the hobby , it's the hottest detector on the market right now , as far as demand goes , and reselling it will be a breeze.
June 05, 2013 03:29AM
I had much rather Him get an AT-PRO with the extra 5 x8 coil ..and learn to use it ...I think He could grow with it and learn more with the audio nuances available to that unit...but its not up to us to decide what He need's...But if he ventures into relic hunting in iron I think he would like the AT alot better...the CZ is tricky to run in iron deep nail falses..can take its toll on someone ...

Keith
June 05, 2013 03:42AM
I came into this site completely blind as I know nothing about detectors and really appreciate all comments.
June 05, 2013 04:14AM
Hi mickey, I'm selling my garret at pro...if your interested, pm me. At least you could try it, if you don't like it, resell it and get your money back. Ray
June 05, 2013 03:44PM
Mickey, this is just my thoughts so remember that. The CZ units are Great units. If you get one that has been taken care of. They do have a little learning curve to get the most out of them. You need to learn to listen to the tones and what they are telling you.
Without knowing this you will find that you will dig a lot of aluminum and screwcaps. It would be easy to get discourged with this unit as a new user. I would suggest getting a G2, Omega 8000, or even a Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.

All these units are very easy to learn. You can pick up a good used one on the forums as users are always looking for a different unit to try. But, what ever you get, there seems to always be something better...lol

Tom in SC
June 05, 2013 06:20PM
I agree with tmanley on those detectors...or let me add many of the tesoros too.
June 05, 2013 08:47PM
Hey Mickey...

I know your concern mainly is the machines are local and you can get what you see in terms of purchase ..in other words peace fo mind...

Yet if there is a certian machine you are after and used equipment is the price point you want for your investment..dont hesitate to ask on here to see if someone has a unit you may be thinking of, yet thinking its not doable..

I know it is risky to send Money to someone you dont Know...But the people on here that I have dealt with are the Salt of the Earth type's...and all you have to do is ask if the person is trustworthy if you find something you want to try and think it's a good price and the feedback will come in...

The AT-PRO that Deathray mention's for sale ...You can totally trust Ray...And even aftersale He would be glad to answer questions or anyone else on here also...

Or if anything else you have in mind just ask.....

Just dont want you to think those are your only options ..the local ones that is...

O.K. I will leave you alone and let you decide..LOL!!

Keith
June 05, 2013 09:43PM
Let me add one more thing...is there a club near you? Or maybe post where you live...might be domeone nearby who can show uou some units in person, let ya test drive one.