Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deeptech Vista Smart or Gold in Europe ?

Posted by Michlar 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deeptech Vista Smart or Gold in Europe ?
June 09, 2013 12:00PM
Hello,
I'm from Denmark in Europe and is also very interested in a Deep Tech machine for Detecting relics, but I'm still unsure whether it should be a Vista Smart or Gold. If you read here on your forum, the Vista Gold is recommended most rather than Vista Smart. But if you go to: [www.garysdetecting.co.uk] [www.garysdetecting.co.uk] [www.garysdetecting.co.uk] (the Deeptechboard) , which is an English site, there is clearly most who recommend Vista Smart?. Gary has incidentally also tested both machines, but also most leaning towards the Vista Smart model?
Could it have something to do with the soil over at us in Europe?!
The reason I still think of Vista Gold is that I imagine that it is better to find the small pieces payment gold from the Germanic Iron Age?
I was wondering if there is anyone here on this forum, which are from Europe and preferably as close to Denmark as possible, who have some experience with both machines or just Vista Gold?
Did I read a post from a German? ... it's as close to Denmark smiling smiley
Hoping for some good answers.
Many thanks in advance!
Regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 12:04PM by Michlar.
Re: Deeptech Vista Smart or Gold in Europe ?
June 09, 2013 09:55PM
It is worth looking at the UK forum below. A few members have these machines, and there has been some discussion of them.
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
June 10, 2013 12:22PM
I think most people buy the Gold for its unmasking abililty. It's also good for picking up certain targets that other machines can't detect. If you are hunting around a lot of iron where targets are masked or looking to get those last few targets from a site, the Gold would be a good choice.

The Gold is a high frequency detector. It is very sensitive to the lower conductor targets that fall near the foil range like thin silver, small gold and copper but it lacks performance on the targets we usually look for in normal everyday hunting. It's a specific use detector, recommended as a back-up machine for sites that have been hunted out by other detectors.

For normal all around hunting, I would get the Smart.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 04:44PM by Badger in NH.
June 10, 2013 06:51PM
Okay......I guess It is gonna be the Vista Smart....and then the Vista Gold Next time...... smiling smiley
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
Regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark
June 11, 2013 10:42AM
If you have a DeepTech Importer with authorised service/repair facility in Danmark then contact them for advise, if not you are taking a gamble.

I imported my own Vista Gold to Australia, it lasted a little over 3 weeks before it became inoperative, I took the gamble and lost, but I did have first hand experience on the unit.

A few UPS shipping cost to and from the country of manufacturer at $150 each time will get to the level where it's cheaper to get a New home brand detector with service/repair facility just down the road......or at lest a New Eurotek Pro delivered to my door.

I have contacted DeepTech a couple of times to see if it was possible to purchase a new complete control housing unit only..........so far, no reply on this request.

ivanll
June 11, 2013 02:02PM
I'm not in Europe but I have tested both the Gold and Smart side by side. Just a few months ago on this forum and a few other ones, the Deeptech machines were the hot topic of discussion. There were only a few people that had them, and they were posting reports and findings with them that was making them sound like they were the newest cats meow. They were pulling non ferrous items out from iron like no other machine they had ever seen before, etc. Then as other people starting buying them, the interest in these machines just seemed to fizz out. Now you hardly ever see anything on the forums about them, and the attention has been turned to a couple other detectors...which interestingly enough, now those are the ones being toted as the cats meow by these same people and it being the best at pulling non ferrous items out of iron like no other machine that they've seen before. Same lines to the same song, only with a different title.

Now, as for the Gold and Smart themselves. This is just my opinion on them. I personally didn't see what all the fuss was about. I recognize they are niche detectors....no doubt. I just didn't see anything great technologically about them, that we've not already had on the market for about 10+ years now. They both reminded me a lot of a Tesoro detector...simple to set up, and are simply beep/dig machines. They do have a fast processor to them, but IMO..I don't think they are much faster than a Tesoro Tejon detector. The depth on them is okay...but if you put a DD coil of the same size on a Tejon, I believe they would be neck and neck in depth. Especially between the Tejon and Smart. The two tone features on the Smart and Gold are pretty neat..and that would be the only thing to really differentiate them from a Tejon IMO. But the Tejon has a much larger disc range instead of just going to foil. Is it worth the cost difference between a Tesoro and Deeptech? IMO....no. I firmly believe that with the build quality of the DeepTechs and what little features they bring to the table...that the price point should be more reflective of that, and these machines be priced in the $400-500 range at best. There for sure is not $700 or $800 worth in either one of them.

The Gold has a better sound to my ears vs the Smart...I like the higher pitch beep. The Tejon will let you customize the audio to your ears though. The Gold has a higher sensitivity to small things....things that I'm not exactly sure most people would want to waste their time digging, such as .22 caliber bullets, etc. The Smart tended to like larger items a lot better than the Gold. The Gold never falsed on nails...would report them with a low tone. BUT...it would give a high tone on pieces of flat iron, such as old stove parts, door hinges, etc. The Smart is better at not falsing on the flat iron...but in really dense iron nails, it does fool you by giving a high tone on the nail head...most every time this happened, I would dig thinking I had just located a good target among thick iron...and the pinpointer would locate the nail sticking in the sidewall of my hole. The Smart was a little sensitive to electrical fences. The Gold didn't handle some of my bad dirt sites I took it too...it just was too hard to find a ground balance point...that didn't change ever so many feet in distance...which resulted in a lot of noise from the detector and constantly rebalancing it. The Smart was easier to balance in these sites...although the GB window was very narrow...it could still be balanced though and ran quite a bit smoother than the Gold. So of the two....the Smart was the better one for me. But that said...I was quite disappointed in both units compared to the amount of talk they had generated in the early going...versus the actual results I was seeing in the field. They were talked up to be a lot better than they actually are. I had several people tell me the same thing through private messages...but they were just being quiet because they didn't want to start a war on the forums. I for one don't really care to give my findings...good and bad about any unit. Every unit you test can't be the best unit you've ever tested. LOL IMO....the best machine I've used to date for pulling stuff out of iron, is still the Deus. It may cost a lot more than the Gold/Smart, but in that particular area, it is still tops on my list.
June 11, 2013 02:31PM
Hi,
I'm from the UK so we probably have similar detecting conditions.
I agree with Daniel i have used the Smart & also the Deus & would feel the Deus is a much better detector all round for a whole range of different sites/conditions i would not waste your money on either the smart or gold & save up for a Deus you won't regret it,
Marcus.
June 11, 2013 11:20PM
Take note Hr, Larsen.

Daniel TN is spot on and have summed it up quite nicely.

ivanll
June 13, 2013 11:45PM
Dmn
.... why do you not to receive an email when someone has replied to my thread? Would like to have seen your comments :-( Now it's too late.
Well but I have bought Vista Smart Pro pack and it is coming to me from the UK :-(
I just have to hope, that I can get some pleasure out of it anyway.
It was primarily purchased from the good comments they had on English and German forums. And especially a review of [www.garysdetecting.co.uk] got me convinced.
I have to be positive now ....... so many Englishmen can't be wrong on the Vista Smart....can they? .....there are still written fair very well on the Smart on the English forums sides ..... also finds ..... I have to be positive now :-)
Regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark
June 14, 2013 02:05AM
The Vista gold is the only machine I would use from Deeptech....

Why.. becasue it has one certian function it does well...thats unmask low conductors in iron... Its a viable option if you have limited funds for a DEUS and want to unmask in iron...Use it for what it does best at and appreciate it...

More people like the Smart because its less sparky....and dont dig as much flat iron....

but remeber the machine is working like it should....the disc is very precise in the range it cover's.

dont by one to hunt a park or dig deep every day....the Gold is deep but its funky running to get it right ...

give it 40-50 hours if you buy it...

you cant tell nothing about the detector in 2 hunt's...

I discussed the scenario with a few people before mentioning it on the forums.

you have to see the strength of the detector and use that strength to your advantage...

I still stick my my opinion of the DTVG...its a viable machine if you cant have the GMP...

I choose not to talk about it as much because I respect Tom...and He was insulted on his forum so I choose to talk of other detector's. but its good machine when used in iro0n for unmaking

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 02:08AM by Keith Southern.
June 14, 2013 05:01AM
I like the gold...as long as I am not down in the creekbeds that are loaded with hotrocks...this is motherload area of California. Was surprisingly deep on lead for me. Really likes those small levi buttons too, which is not fun to dig 25 in a day. The only problem I have is the jackass who sells them and sensors any comments I make on another forum and sends childish emails Ray
June 14, 2013 08:02AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> dont by one to hunt a park or dig deep every
> day....> Keith

Hello Keith,
I only bought the Vista Smart to search the old places / sites. For park hunting and hunting for newer sites I still have my trusty X-terra 705 :-)
Hope, however, that I can get some pleasure out of the Vista Smart :-/
Regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark
June 16, 2013 12:20AM
Well as stated now I've owned 4 the RG 1000 the smart and gold and now all I run at the moment is the RELIC which is only single toned but longing to own the vista gold again with small coil I have actually acquired one for my relic and gone back to a sight that I've pounded quite a bit last summer and caught 2 buttons one from the war of 1812 I've probably got more time in the relic than any other machine and for old sites which Keith has stated I will not use a another machine I kept the RELIC because of frequency and boost and now will seek a another vista gold because of the iron tone separation and smaller coil and iron volume, which I think will be deadly, now I've heard everyones gripe about quality and and there very limited disc or hot rocks, this was laid out on the table and people were told before buying, i'm sticking with Deep Tech because they do produce they have better audio to my ears than the Tesoro's which I like very much at the same time too and you can't beat there pinpointing, the other is teknetic/fisher G-2/goldbug pro but for my detecting needs the deep techs have my loyalty they will and do take a more punishment then people claim just right now for me money has been tight and trying not to sacrifice other stuff to get other detecting equipment its vicious cycle but in 8 years I've gone through 35 machines and this is where i'm at maybe someday will get a chance to try a ctx 3030 and change the whole ball game for me!
June 16, 2013 01:04AM
Ill sell ya my vista gold amc. Pm me if your interested. Ray