Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any Ideas Anyone??

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any Ideas Anyone??
June 16, 2013 04:15AM
Ok guys - need a bit of help with the bell shaped object in the photos if you would please??

I know it LOOKS like a bell but I don't know ---- it's very thin/fragile and made of copper ---- I've found bells this size before (been a LONG while - like 1980s was the last time) but they were always thick brass ---- this is totally different??

Found an old home site today and hunted with the E-Trac ---- what a pain that was! I'm taking the GBP/G2 back with me to re-hunt it as it is so iron infested it's not funny ---- you can't swing 3 inches without iron popping & grunting every step of the way (the entire site is like that -- all 1.5 acres of it) and I was going nuts using the E-Trac in that environment!

Found a few goodies but I know there's LOTS more where these came from ---- just have to use the right tool for the job to squeak the stuff out!

I like the Play $ coin - looks 30s/40s as it has an Indian Head on it ---- also like the little brass buckle ---- it says (B.D & Co. Solide - Paris)?? Got a cool makeup case with a vase/flower motif on it - couple of wheats (1935 and 1944) and a 1952 D nickel ---- no good coins today ---- a Mason Jar lid ---- square nail with an "R" stamped in the head?? ---- a broken copper piece with ornate stamping (looks Victorian era) ---- shotgun shell heads (1 is really old) ---- a lead buck-shot ---- some doodads --- etc.

Thanks for looking and for any/all help!

HH

Re: Any Ideas Anyone??
June 16, 2013 12:42PM
Just a guess but might be part of a lighting fixture...Had to smile as that play money really holds up in the ground and well some of our U.S. currency doesn't hold up well. Indeed would go back as quite a collection of do-dads and might be a nice coin just waiting...
June 17, 2013 02:00AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a guess but might be part of a lighting
> fixture...Had to smile as that play money really
> holds up in the ground and well some of our U.S.
> currency doesn't hold up well. Indeed would go
> back as quite a collection of do-dads and might be
> a nice coin just waiting...

Seems as though it could be Dan - do you mean like a part of a chandelier type fixture? Or a wall mounted type fixture? This thing has me stumped! Usually I can identify most of the finds I make as to what they are and/or what they were used for but not this one!

There's no markings on it anywhere either??
June 17, 2013 02:28AM
Possibly the top to an oil lamp, I have an old hurricane lamp that has a top similar to that, not as deep though.
June 17, 2013 10:52AM
I see a piece of copper flashing in the mix, (guessing),.. maybe the bell object is the top to an old cupola.
June 17, 2013 01:06PM
Looks like you have some interesting places to hunt MichiganRelicHunter, kinda reminds me of a base to a hand water pump at old farmhouses,just a guess? HH
June 17, 2013 04:51PM
Cool digs. I think Dan may be right, does look like some kind of light fixture.
June 17, 2013 07:48PM
The item is question being so thin has me puzzled...Once dug 15-16 inches for a copper tea kettle spout so one never knows...Personally If I was detecting the area would take a relic shovel and dig a lot of iffies as I can just smell a real nice coin in the area which may be partially masked..
Good luck and keep us updated.....
June 19, 2013 03:48AM
I think Dan is right, I just rewired an apartment this week and I took off a few things that looked just like yours, it was up against the ceiling, with wire and chain, hanging down going to the lite
June 19, 2013 04:15AM
old International tractor exhaust cover.