Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

very slow this year

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
very slow this year
July 02, 2013 03:24PM
Is ti because we don't have a new detector to try and see what it can do...Is it because it is getting harder to find places to detect?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: very slow this year
July 02, 2013 04:20PM
Just getting tougher to find new places and with the price of gas both in my car and in my physical tank tough to do much traveling and is probably a major reason. New areas sure get the blood boiling...

Sure its nice to try new detectors and such but first two lines of post is probably the main reason..
July 02, 2013 05:10PM
Well for me I mostly hunt 1800's home sites. The fields are planted and woods are grown up. So now I look for the old sites in hayfields but you have to hit these as soon as the hay is up because within a week or 2 the hay is too tall again. The last two years my door knocking success has went way down,more compitition and then the all the TV crap. I lostone of my virgin ghost town site because of the TV stuff, the owners kids called and said that there were way to many valuables laying in the ground and that they were going to buy detectors and search it themselves. I then get a phone call a few weeks after that wanting to know where this old town site was LOL.. I told them I would help them search around and kind of show them the ropes but was rudely declined so needless to say they have no ideal were this site is.They will have to do there own research and they are not going to find it online either.
I don't wait around for new detectors to come out, I tend to use the same ones for several years. I had a pretty sweet spring, finding Spanish Reales LC's, Seated silvers,Eagle Buttons and all sorts of nice relics

Hope your recovery is going well.
CD
HH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 10:26PM by docbars.
July 02, 2013 11:20PM
My two hunting buddies and I have been hitting some of the inner city parks in the mornings and doing nicely. These spots haven't been hit all that hard in recent years and with the likes of F 75 LTD's and Etrac's, some nice old silver is coming out of the ground. There are still goodies out there. HH jim tn
July 03, 2013 12:47AM
Hey LowBoy,

Is it getting that difficult up there in the Gold Country to find places? I thought there would be plenty of sides that you have hit yet.

El
July 03, 2013 02:06AM
I've got to agree with Dan-Pa on this one

new/virgin sites are becoming a LOT harder to find these days --- it's not so much the machine as it is the site (unless you're talking iron infested sites that you need a certain type of machine for).

But,

I remember taking $300/$400 machines of 20 yrs ago and beyond into a virgin site for the 1st time and in just a few hrs walking away with 20/30 wheat cents, 4 or 5 indians, 8 or 10 silvers (sometimes really old silvers), some buffs, maybe a V nickel or 2, 2 or 3 rings, all sorts of relics/toys, etc. one place specifically I found a 2 cent piece next to a tree at maybe an inch deep after finding 5 buffs, 1 V nickel, 2 Indians, 2 Barber dimes, a Barber 1/4, and a Standing Liberty 1/4 all in like 2 hrs (and that's not counting what my partner found!), but, try finding places like this now days --- it's nearly a thing of the past unless you can get permission on some old farm property/etc. that's never been touched by a detector.

You've got to think --- guys have been detecting now for 50 yrs or more (since the early 1960s) (me personally since 1977 - that's 36 yrs myself)

that's a LOT of detectors scouring the same old sites (old schools, old parks, old churches, empty lots, old ball fields, old house sites, Old town halls, old campgrounds, lakes, etc. etc.) for 5+ decades now... Yr after yr guy after guy machine after machine hitting the same places over and over and over.

Metal detecting isn't what it used to be - that's a fact... but... there's still good stuff out there - it just takes a lot more work to find a lot less these days... It helps if you know someone with tons of old property and/or you get permission from someone that owns a lot of old property/s...

This yr to date I have found (for old coin finds only)

1 LG cent
6 Barber dimes
3 Mercury dimes
4 Silver Roosevelt Dimes
2 Tokens
40/50 wheats
3 Indians
2 Buffs
1 Silver Washington 1/4
1 1870s Canada 1/4
a few misc coppers/silvers
and a small coffee can full of clad

and we're already 7 months into the yr

25 yrs ago and beyond (outside of the coffee can full of clad) it was fairly common to walk into a SINGLE site and pull all of the above in 5 or 6 hrs (or at least within a couple of weeks detecting on a couple of sites) --- not 7 months into the yr driving all over hell and back searching 40/50 different sites! And I've been hitting it fairly hard all season long around here (5 out of 7 days) per week for at least a few hrs a day (weekends 6 to 8 hrs per day) but only since the snow melted which was April so in reality - it's been a little more than 3 months to find the above.Still though - 3+ months to find what I used to find in 1 day up to maybe a week or 2?? Not good! And don't even get me started on the miles driven/gas cost just to find what little I have so far!

HH and good luck in your search/es
July 03, 2013 02:56AM
Yes it is getting tough to find new places but if you are a member of the new show look at all of the cool places they get to hunt..wow there are tons of places just no connections a very hobby I guess it would be parks and schools where you would at least find rings and change...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 02:07AM by Lawrenzo.
July 03, 2013 04:03AM
Hey Lowboy, me and you share the same problem...we are lucky in that there are TONS of sites by us, but its almost all private property and its hard to get permission. Ray
July 03, 2013 12:13PM
I have been discouraged for some time now. Sold the CTX because I couldn't stand to see a two thousand dollar detector resting in the corner. And I really didn't want to take said detector to ball fields for clad hunting. I love the hobby. But it has changed. The TV shows got more people interested in the hobby. But those people don't take the time to learn the important stuff. Code of ethics and digging techniques. There are still places out there. But it is private property and now everyone wants to do it themselves or has a nephew that wants to do it. I offer my services to teach people like the post above. But people think I have an angle or they are just swinging a crap detector. Nope the good old days were the good old days. I picked up an AT Pro to scratch the itch. And I have the beach BBS machines. I have one angle at the beach. These new folks with their Vipers won't get in the water. And there is plenty of that.
July 03, 2013 05:17PM
Seems like "I" get a lil slower every year....still havin fun tho....gl and hh!!!