Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clean connections

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Clean connections
July 14, 2013 02:22PM
How many of you take time to clean the coil connector on the housing and coil wire. When someone is having trouble, you always read responses about checking to be sure the connection tight, but never about cleaning it.
Re: Clean connections
July 14, 2013 02:32PM
I always check. I have seen little cocoons on occasion, in the coil wire connector. I'm careful the coil connector doesn't hit the dirt when unfastening.
July 14, 2013 03:13PM
I'm a man with a plan!
Meaning I don't take various coils or detectors with me on short hunts. Just makes me wonder,... IF?

This means setting up the detector in the house, if a coil change is made,... then just a little shot of air in a can and electrical tuner into the connectors suffices.
As with all my fishing/hunting/detecting gear,... everything gets cleaned after a session, ready to go next time around.

HH
Johnb
July 14, 2013 07:14PM
Don't know why but a pencil eraser does the job... especially the old typewriter ones that can be sharpened can reach some mighty tough connection areas..

Rule of thumb if having problems...change batteries...clean connections...and don't rule out a bad coil either if having problems..

Once read an article by Charles Garrett and believe or not some just need new batteries when sent in for repair...
July 15, 2013 02:59AM
Dan I always carried a white art eraser back in my tech days. We had equipment racks that took up whole rooms, all back before the digital age.
July 15, 2013 01:07PM
Always a good idea to check the voltage on new batteries right out of the pack. I bought a 20 pack of AA batts and had 6 bad batteries in one pack. They were an off brand, China made. Lesson learned.
July 15, 2013 03:44PM
That's the trouble with those off brands,... They tend to take you off guard.

You wouldn't even think of testing a pack of A brand batteries.
Happened to me with some vehicle batteries of a well known brand.
New out of the box they were,... slightly off spec.
New manufacturing facility in the land of the rising sun!!

Quality control,... Or lack off!!

HH
Johnb