Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Troy x-5 on saltwater beach

Posted by rqlt29a 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Troy x-5 on saltwater beach
July 19, 2013 12:42AM
Anyone ever use a Troy x-5 on a saltwater beach?
My CZ-3D with a 10.5" coil is a little heavy and I am thinking of Bringing my x-5 to give my arm a Break.
Thanks
Jim
Re: Troy x-5 on saltwater beach
July 19, 2013 01:14AM
In dry sand it does great but in the wet sand it gets a lot of falsing I used the stock coil if you have the 5x10" dd it may work a little better in the wet sand.
July 19, 2013 01:43AM
I've heard of some people reversing the coil on the shaft so that the coil points toward you instead of away from you. They say it gives it better balance for the heavier coils. I may try it myself. Other option might be to go to a straight shaft, but they're costly unless you can build it yourself.
July 19, 2013 03:14AM
rqlt29a Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone ever use a Troy x-5 on a saltwater beach?
> My CZ-3D with a 10.5" coil is a little heavy and I
> am thinking of Bringing my x-5 to give my arm a
> Break.

Fisher says the CZ-3D weighs 3.7lbs. In all sincerity, does 3.7lbs get heavy that fast? I ask because I've never used a MD'er before. The one we have on order, a Minelab 705, weighs in at 2.9lbs.
July 19, 2013 06:11AM
Using the 8 inch coil or belt mounting the CZ makes it easier to hunt the beach, though the 10.5 seemed to be a little nose heavy while doing the belt mount. Why not give the X-5 try?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 19, 2013 11:43AM
X-5 not good for wet salt.
July 19, 2013 12:26PM
Buy yourself a stock 8 inch coil and hipmount it for long days. It may not cover as much ground as the larger coil but will work better and take away the nose heavy larger coil. Sov. and CZ units work the best for your environment and well as Tom says X-5 won't cut it and will false. Been there done that
kind of thing for 10 years...just seems single freq. units in wet salt sand conditions fail..
July 19, 2013 04:46PM
As others have said

"hip mount" the unit on a belt (slide the head off of the rod and slip a belt thru the mount then wrap around waist) = very simple.

I ran a cz20 & 21 for 18 yrs combined hip mounted with the 10.5 in coils and could hunt 8 to 10 hrs straight (and did).

I also hip mount my cz6a and same thing - you can hunt all day no problem.

Cuts the weight by 35/% or so :-)
July 19, 2013 05:10PM
Hip mount and you'll never go back, pleasure to use with the 8" coil, a tiny bit nose heavy with the 11.5".
July 19, 2013 08:00PM
I like to wear the cz bandoleer style. It's still on a wide canvas belt, but across the chest. This way it doesn't interfere when switching arms, as it does when worn at the side of the belt... or when bending down to retrieve, it doesn't restrict the bend at the waist, when worn in front . The only drawback, is using the PP button, but that's minor. Also, the unit is up higher if you are near or in shallow water.
July 19, 2013 10:10PM
Thank you everyone I will try it hip mounted.
Jim
July 20, 2013 08:24PM
bump