Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Visiting family back home in PA -- and was blessed with a priceless hunt!

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Visiting family back home in PA -- and was blessed with a priceless hunt!
July 22, 2013 06:30PM
Hi all!

I don't usually post finds on this forum, but wanted to share an awesome experience that I had on Saturday. Living in Oklahoma, the prospects for digging 19th century coins with any regularity are obviously quite slim. SO, I look forward to my annual visits back home to western Pennsylvania, where the chances to dig something old are much greater. I spent quite a bit of time researching a few spots not far from my childhood home, and Saturday I gave one of the spots a shot. It was an old church that was built in 1857, but is long gone; the only thing remaining is the old cemetery. I had a general idea where the church building should have been, so I took a short hike through the woods to find it. I arrived at where I guessed the church would have stood -- and it looked like this:

That's the old cemetery; here's what it looked like facing the other direction:

So, I started swinging. After about a half hour, I had dug a couple of old shotgun shells, and was moving into an area where I was picking up some scattered square nails, when I got a solid, shallow penny-type signal. Certain that I had located a penny dropped recently by a deer hunter, I calmly dug, with zero expectations, a four-inch deep plug, and saw a coin drop from the dirt clod back into the hole. But...I thought I saw a silver rim...

Well, I was so shocked at this find (which before digging I had been sure was a penny), that I forgot to take a picture. So, I'll keep you in suspense and wait to show it to you until the end (the pictures of the cleaned coins). I called my wife, and once I stopped shaking, I continued. Two feet away, I hit a classic silver dime signal, about 5-6" deep. Knowing what I had just dug, THIS target REALLY got the adrenaline up! Here's what came out of the plug...

SILVER!

I cleaned it off just a tad, very gently, with some water I carried in, and here it was...

An nice, detailed 1853 Seated Dime (with arrows)!

After some more shaking, and another call to my wife, I started to hunt again. Within 10 feet, I got another hit; I was so excited this time, that I didn't even care to pay attention to the numbers. It was a lower tone than a silver dime, but at this point, ANY coin was possible, so there was no hesitation in this dig decision.

Here's what came out of the plug...

SILVER AGAIN!

I cleaned it just a bit, and saw this:

An equally-detailed, equally nice 1853 Seated HALF Dime! (with arrows)

I made another call to my wife, as I was now in shock! There's a reason why these pictures are a bit blurred and out of focus! smiling smiley After composing myself, I hunted another hour and a half or so, with no more luck (except a bunch of square nails, more shotgun brass, and a few modern cartridges and lead). I will be going back, but even if I find NOTHING else, this spot will go down as my best ever! A very lucky day for me, one I will likely never top -- and for ONCE my research actually paid off!

OH...about that first coin... Here's a look at the finds after cleaning. None of the three were rare or particularly valuable (despite their very decent conditions) after checking them out at a couple of coin sites online (roughly $50 to $75 or so), so I went ahead and did some light cleaning with water and baking soda...

The obverses...

And the reverses...

That other coin was, unbelievably, an 1830 Capped Bust dime! I NEVER thought I'd dig one of those, and had no thoughts of it being even possible at this spot (with the church built in 1857). Clearly, this one was in circulation for a long time, and I'm thinking all three coins were dropped by the same person at the same time, given their proximity. Given the nice condition of the two Seated coins, I'd expect them to have been dropped right about the time the church was built -- almost definitely before the Civil War began...just thinking about that is mind-boggling for me, and is why this is such an AWESOME hobby!

Thanks all for looking!

Steve
Re: Visiting family back home in PA -- and was blessed with a priceless hunt!
July 22, 2013 07:10PM
Nice story & pics thanks for sharing, what is the oldest coin you have dug in Oklahoma? 1857 for me in Illinois & HH
July 22, 2013 07:31PM
Roy --

Thanks!

The oldest silvers I have dug in Oklahoma are an 1886 Seated dime and an 1891 Seated quarter; I have dug a "V" nickel or two, and an Indian Head penny or two, that I think are a bit older than that, but I can't recall for sure; I'm pretty sure there's an 1880 "V" nickel in there...

My oldest PA coin, if I recall correctly, was an 1877 Indian head, prior to these three...

What was your 1857 dig?

Steve
July 22, 2013 08:06PM
Search and ye shall find and sometimes it may be in the middle of the woods..Had a similar experience when we found an old church still being used and got permission to hunt the grounds..All the grass around the church produced a few modern coins so I drifted into the woods and in a 10 foot square found two barber dimes and an old merc...Perhaps way back when the area was used for picnics but that's all my buddy and I found..Certainly not even close to your coins but the next time you pass that patch of woods next to an old park etc.....give her a try as one never knows and congragulations on a fine day...
Nice digs SteveG

looks like a great place to hunt and like you had a great time ;-)

Those capped bust coins are hard to come by for sure!

HH and thanks for sharing!

MRH
July 22, 2013 08:43PM
Hello Steve it was a flying eagle cent found at a old farm! Research pays $ Where did you get the juicy info that lead you to that spot? Thanks HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2013 08:47PM by rapidroy7.
July 22, 2013 09:07PM
Well done Steve. I know the thrill............. Congratulations!
July 22, 2013 10:16PM
Excellent coins you have there.

A seated half dime is still on my wish list, but I can’t even imagine getting a capped bust dime here in Northern California.

Congrats on the silver.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
July 23, 2013 12:58AM
Wow!
....... and you will never forget this experience.
July 23, 2013 01:00AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words.

Roy -- the "tip" was more like a circuitous route through a bunch of information -- including 1904 Topo maps, and some prior research done by county historians. It was somewhat of a piece-by-piece cobbling together of information, but it led to the spot...

Steve
July 23, 2013 03:47AM
Very nice!!!
cdv
July 23, 2013 09:18AM
Steve, great hunt and story... the coins are fantastic. The picture of the wooded area is what stands out for me, I too am from Western Pa. and the chance to be out in the wooded areas like that and chance for old finds are about the only things I miss since moving to Florida...
Cliff
July 23, 2013 11:05AM
Those are exactly the sites I hunt in the Fall / Winter. Most are unproductive but you'll dig some of the strangest stuff. I'd pound that place before moving on.
July 23, 2013 11:40AM
i tell you those old Atlas have a weath of info when it comes to buildings. Outstanding finds. I love being out in the woods hunting those old home sites or churchs and old roads.... just never know.

Dew
July 23, 2013 02:32PM
NASA-Tom -- this was absolutely something that won't be forgotten, not ONLY because of the finds, but because it's the first time that something I researched pretty hard actually came to fruition...the confidence-boost that resulted will really help going forward...

Cliff -- where in Western PA? I miss so many things about home, but like you, the woods (and the chance for some really nice finds) is certainly up there on the list!

go-rebels -- Fall or winter would be IDEAL. There's a second spot I researched, but just couldn't pin down due to my short time here, and the thickness of the woods (though I tried). It's a supply road to a fort that was built in 1778 for the Revolutionary War. Most of the supply road has been developed in modern times, but the last 1/4 mile or so runs down a steep hill, through a cut/valley, and I know for certain the cut/valley that the road ran through. The next time I'm here in the late fall, I will most certainly be trying again...

...I also researched like crazy, and was able to narrow down the site of "camp #6" of Col. Henry Bouquet's march through my area in 1764. He marched 1500 men and 1200 pack horses, and made a 50-ish acre camp each night. I zeroed in on three of the camps, each about 10 miles apart, but two are built over now -- one by a shopping center and the second, a country club. The third, though, camp #6, is in the middle of nowhere. I found it, and slowly was able to zero in on the exact spot. BINGO! BUT...one of my finishing touches was to find the camp site on the 1:25,000 topo map and plan my hunt -- and in doing so, happened to notice that the area is now within a State Nature Preserve....ARGH!!!

Dew -- you are right, you just never know! By the way, which old "atlas" are you referring to? Do you just mean old atlases in general, or is there something more that I should know about?! smiling smiley

Steve
July 23, 2013 03:50PM
WOW!! Awesome saves. Congrats on such a sweet hunt.
p.s.
Love the dig pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2013 04:36PM by docbars.
Remove exif files if you want that spot to stay pristine.
July 23, 2013 08:43PM
Don't know what "exif files" are, Leggo...

But, I thought the only way you revealed "location info," if that's what you are referring to, is if the pic was taken with an iPhone, which would encode the GPS coordinates. These pics were taken with a regular camera...

Steve
July 24, 2013 12:15AM
Fun! What detector were you using?
About 15 years ago I traveled to my inlaws home in New York state. Found an early 1800's large cent on their front lawn. Thats still my oldest coin I ever found.
cdv
July 24, 2013 01:03AM
Steve, 52 years living in Beaver County and loads of time in the woods and waters in Beaver, Lawrence, Butler Crawford and Forest Counties for the most part.
Cliff
July 24, 2013 02:53AM
possum -- that's outstanding! (The large cent...)

I was swinging my Explorer SE Pro...I love that machine... smiling smiley

Cliff -- Beaver County also? WOW...some coincidence! I, like you, spent loads of time in the woods and waters here -- Lawrence, Beaver, Butler, and Washington Counties, as well as McKean and Warren counties up north. While my first introduction to a metal detector was my grandfather's machine, when I was a kid, I didn't really get into the hobby big-time until I moved out of state (unfortunately). However, I have always been an outdoors/hunting and fishing enthusiast, so more often that not, it was woods and waters for me.

Maybe someday we'll be visiting home at the same time, and can hook up for a hunt...

Steve