Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mineralization level question.

Posted by YuriyV 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Mineralization level question.
July 26, 2013 04:01AM
Hi, guys.
My question is about ground mineralization. Is it high mineralized if my CZ-3D get ground balanced at no more than 3.5?
I'm concerned about this because here, in South-Eastern Ontario, I find old coind not deeper than 8". Usually at 6". Deepest was 8-9" canadian LC. No silver dimes deeper 5-6". Is it normal? Just seeing how guys from other regions make finds of old silver up to 10".
Recently aquired Minelab E-Trac. Story pretty the same. 6-7" on copper cent at Auto +3.
Re: Mineralization level question.
July 26, 2013 09:28AM
Best 'real-time' way to tell is to bury a dime at 7"........... then 8"............ then 9".................. testing/verifying ID as you proceed. Chances are/// I speculate that the dime will ID as 'iron' at around 7" or 8" depths ................... although you may be able to detect the dime to 10" - 11" ; yet, will still ID as 'iron'.
July 26, 2013 09:43AM
Quote from Tom D - 'The 'tightness' of the ground balance 'window'........ is what tells you how bad the mineralization truly is.

In other words, if you can only move the GB knob very slightly to get equal sound pumping the coil (ground balanced), that's a tight window and high mineralization. Opposite is true for low mineralization.
July 26, 2013 12:59PM
Ozzie hit the nail on the head with his post..Many years ago a Fisher tech explained this to me..In other words the number a CZ ground balances on means nothing but the tightness of the ground balance window or vice versa is where its at.. The number it ground balances on many units and some even have a procedure to tell you the actual number but not so on a CZ. Over the years many have experimented with positive and negative ground balance but I always set it spot on and got them as deep as anyone..
July 26, 2013 02:01PM
> In other words, if you can only move the GB knob very slightly to get equal sound pumping the coil (ground balanced), that's a tight window and high
> mineralization.

It is exact situation out here. The window is tight. Now I understand. Thanks!
July 26, 2013 03:54PM
YuriyV, you're welcome. I learned that tidbit on this forum, just passing it on..

Thanks Dan for expanding on that.