Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took the AT Pro for a walk today

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took the AT Pro for a walk today
August 03, 2013 02:29AM
Since selling the CTX and going back to the AT Pro I have been unable to detect due to a back injury. Only a month, but man I have been wanting to get out. So today on doctor's orders ( walk and bend exorcise) I took the AT Pro to place I have hunted before. I was out for about two hrs. I only found two coins. An Indian and a wheat.

I had the stock coil on the AT Pro. And since I wasn't into walking all that much or digging I decided to hit the iron infested area. I was kicking myself for leaving the 5 x 8 at home. Slow and low and pulled both of those coins right out of the iron. There is something great about the audio of the AT series. That large stock coil produced high tones right in the middle of iron hell. I can't wait to go back with the smaller coil.

I also had the new Gray Ghost Amphibians on today for the hunt just to try them. For water headphones they are great. Better than any other water headphones I have ever used. Plenty of volume and a nice difference to the tones.

I have hunted this area with the Deus and CTX. I'm not saying the AT Pro found something those detectors could not. But I really believe that when it comes to unmasking targets the AT Pro does a very good job. And I would work any iron field with it.

I know the AT Pro is not as deep as some of the other detectors I have used recently. But it does OK in my opinion.

Detecting and swimming in the pool. Sure beats work. Oh by the way I go back to work next Thursday. Bummmmer!
Re: Took the AT Pro for a walk today
August 03, 2013 09:11AM
With the 5 x 8 coil....... you may learn that you will (now) go out of your way to find these "iron hell" pits.

((( Interesting how......... just a few years ago.......... nearly all detectorists avoided/evaded carpets of nails. Now......... a paradigm shift has taken place (due to electronic technological advancement/shift) ...... and folks are now running TO nail infested areas. )))
August 04, 2013 12:35AM
I honestly believe the AT's are the best machines available for iron sites. And at their price points you cant beat them. I have the At Pro and the At Gold and love them both. Sold my Deus to purchase them.
August 04, 2013 03:05AM
At Pros are very good workhorse machine's for sure...and offer alot of competitive in iron performance for the money or any money as a matter of fact...

I think the AT's will go down as one of the GOOD UN's...in the history of detector model's...

Just one to add tto the classics list one day...

Glad you enjoy Goodmore..

If it's all you got you are noo hurting by a long shot in my opinion...

It allows you to use your exploratory senses more than alot of machine's through the audio...

Keith
August 04, 2013 01:06PM
Don't own or never used one but seems Garrett has come out with a winner with a moderate price. Once they got the bugs out of it has become the favorite of many but certainly needs a larger screen for us old timers...Used many Garretts over the years and they make a quality unit and stand behind it.
August 04, 2013 03:28PM
Yeah Dan, i hope Garretts next machine to replace the AT's will have a larger display. They would have a much larger customer base if the AT's had that now. Also, it would be nice if they could make them a little deeper as well.
August 10, 2013 07:53AM
Tim N Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah Dan, i hope Garretts next machine to replace
> the AT's will have a larger display. They would
> have a much larger customer base if the AT's had
> that now. Also, it would be nice if they could
> make them a little deeper as well.

A bigger screen is a must and a couple of non-glare stickies couldn't hurt either... A more 'ergonomic grip' would be even more welcomed, at least for me...

As far as Depth goes, I run a negative Bias almost exclusively where I am (not a lot of 'low conductors' worth chasing here) and I find the depth is excellent in my soil (75-81 gb) when compared to my CTX (almost the same with a -neg bias), but of course the CTX VS ATPRO in terms of 'Signal ID' is like night and day and there's normally FAR less 'Hail Mary' digging... I think it would be a MUCH more capable machine if they could do something about the ID at depth with less 'jumping around' on the VDI.

Cheers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 07:54AM by Peacemaker.