Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Info and testing

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Info and testing
August 10, 2013 09:15PM
Seen a lot of testing on the Vista gold blistool and At gold pro and others. Most are on the top of the soil and I wonder when a copmany makes these detectors do they design them and test them in the dirt? You can take a number of detectors to test on targets on wood or on top of anything even dirt and get different results most favor the detector the user owns. Then you can dig a hole and drop a target in and test it..but I remember Tom saying that some detectors won't see it if the ground has been disturbed...I think the CZ3 is like that and maybe a lot more. Then there are different coils sizes and different ways to program the detector. I have not seen anyone try and mimic a different detector and reprogram it till it hits on the same target if it can do that. To me that would be a fair test and I did that with a G2 and whites V3. Got a lot of flack why I would want a whites to act like a G2 but I wanted to get the recovery speed the same and then try different targets in the ground that I had not dug and see if I could get the whites to hit the same way the G2 did and then program and push the whites and still hit the same target. You can do that on the G2. And I think the G2 has a lot to it for a programed detector. I see a some of deus on sale and vista golds on sale and the blisstool and maybe it is because we don't have a meter?

I then took a look at the garrett gold pro and saw how it can be programed to hunt in different soils and how you can program it for iron. How the all iron seems different then most of the machines I have saw videos on and how all metal would be the deepest to detect in. In America we have a lot of trash even in our relic sights. Where on the other side of the pond it seems more iron then trash we have to dig. It would be nice to have open feilds that you can swing on and not deal with a lot of trash. Iron on the other hand is tricky and in some of the sights we have hunted you will still get a high tone on nails and if you dis them out you may be disc out good targets. I can see why we all own a few different detectors and some of us are hoping to find the one that does it all.

I also think some of us may have one that may do it all but are not using it the way it should be used. Or we have too fast a sweep. My friend will dig anything he gets a hit on and will walk out with more trash then I throw away on trash day but he will always find a few better targets then I find. I get to tired when I bend down about two hundred times on a hunt. So I will spend more time really checking out a target. I think responce it really improtant and so is unmasking.

I saw a video from Bill Ladd a guy that has vanished from one or a few different forums. He was using the At gold pro on a old celler hole that was loaded with iron the only trash targets. And he use the smaller 8x5 DD and he stated this place has been hunted by everyone that has a detector. It is right off a HWY so you can see the foundation. Anyway he is hitting iron and the machine is sputtering. And then I heard the tone abve the grunt and he stop like I would and slows down and finds it and digs and finds a copper button very old.

That is what it is all about it seems to me is being able to do that and have a detector that can do that. Not many here use the garrett a few do and of course when I get better I want to start going out even for a short time and even no I have run out of places to hunt I want to just learn a new machine and just use it and push it all the way. So I am on the fence with so many machines and have only so much money to spend.

Keith seems to get to try them all and that is so cool he can do that and I think he maybe hoping to find one that he will use most of the time. He maybe already doing that. And Tom I don't see much from him on what he is uning and why. He as posted in the past but as we hunt more we learn new things and want a machine to work and do what we need it to do. Maybe he has found the ideal unit and he knows it like no other.

It is fun reading all these posts and then looking at youtube and watching someone do testing and hope that the machine they are using maybe the one we have to have...I do hope fisher takes the next new machine and gives us a lot of options so we can all tune our machines for our type of hunting and dirt..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Info and testing
August 10, 2013 09:51PM
Lowboy, make a list of what is important to you. then find a unit that has more of items on your list. It seems that in todays units, sensitivity and depth do not go together, you either get one or the other.
I think the CTX is a great machine but I don't know why they put the GPS features on it. this was a waste of time and cost in my opinion. the memory for this could have been used for more features or settings. the AT Pro and AT Gold are great machines that do not weight very much. I just do not like the tones that Garrett uses. It seems to take it too long to sound off. I am afraid that those of us who are waiting on Fisher to release the next machine are going to have to wait awhile. The XP Deus has a new version of software that includes a gold, relic setting plus two beach programs. You can also make custom programs and save them. Just based on your videos, I think you would love the Deus. It is so lite that it almost feels like a toy.

Bill Ladd and Howard have a new show coming to the travel channel next month. I hope it is not like all the other shows. One thing for sure, with Howard it will be exciting. I think the name of the show is "Dig Fellows' and it starts in Sept.

It seems that my best finds are with machines that do not have a meter. I just assume it is because I tend to dig more stuff.....

Oh yea, I am keeping an eye out for your first detecting video when the time comes. Good Luck and get well...

Tom in SC
August 10, 2013 10:22PM
Yeah Bill and Howards show aires Sept 7th on the travel channel i believe. It is called Dig Fellas. And Lowboy, your reviews of the G2 is what led me to buy one initially. I love that machine but ended up selling it amongst many others. I needed to see what suits me best. I have settled on the AT Gold which i love using now. I will use it till someone makes something better thats all terrain and in the 5 to $600 price range.

Its funny Tmanly says about how poor the audio is. In my opinion, Garrett has the best audio available on a machine, especially on the AT Pro. Goes to show how different people and their opinions are.
August 10, 2013 10:43PM
I did not say it was poor, it just seems like there is a small delay before it hits on a target. I am talking about the Garrett bell tone. Same reason I did not like the GTI2500.

Tom
August 10, 2013 10:45PM
Yeah the At gold pro seems like a lot of machine for the money it would be nice to see them update it and not wait forever like they seem to do.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 10, 2013 11:41PM
Meant no harm, tmanly. I misunderstood you is all. The bell tone is a option only in standard mode of the AT Pro. The pro mode is the meat and potatoes of the machine. The AT Gold has a totally different sound than the AT Pro though.
August 11, 2013 12:49AM
Out of the two I like the AT-Golds audio better and the 5x8" coil is a must have on either machine.
August 11, 2013 01:22AM
Agreed
August 11, 2013 02:32AM
Lowboy, I have the vista gold, the at pro and the gb pro...and am only 30 min from you. Say the word, and ill bring all 3and we can play in the dirt, lol. As much as it pains me to say this, the vista gold stands above the others, and it has the biggest coil. I just got back from a site I've been hitting (mining camp) and the vista amazed me. Ray
August 11, 2013 03:45AM
Deathray I look forward to detecting with you I think what I am looking for is a all around unit for parks schools relics and so on....the at gold pro seems that it maybe the all around unit for me at this point. But I am still on the fence and not thinking about detecting till I get the OK from Stanford then I will be able to do some testing. Hope to meet you soon.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 11, 2013 04:17AM
Yeah bud, the vista would be a pain in the park. I really like the AT's too.
August 11, 2013 04:58AM
tmanly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did not say it was poor, it just seems like
> there is a small delay before it hits on a target.
> I am talking about the Garrett bell tone. Same
> reason I did not like the GTI2500.
>
> Tom

The best use I found for the GTI 2500 was with the 2 box system for cache hunting and for finding old trash pits a few feet deep and old privy sites where old bottles lurk!

I loved that machine for those uses but not for everyday coin/relic hunting...
August 11, 2013 03:26PM
Tim, no harm taken. The tone roll of the AT Pro is a big seller for the unit. Like all units, you get out what you put in it. It is like first impressions, they take a while to get over them. The most important things for me are speed, separation and then depth. I often only have short amounts of time to detect and like to get the most out of it. I also have never had a White's unit that tickled my fancy either.

Tom in SC
August 11, 2013 05:49PM
There is only one detector out right now that i would love to try and thats the CTX 3030. Unfortunately, the price of it is too high and i cant justify to myself buying one. And Lowboy, i remember that you wasnt too fond of the AT Pro. Not sure if you would like the AT Gold much either. They are virtually the same machines except the Gold has an all metal mode, a threshold, sounds a little different and is probably a little deeper too. Oh and the frequencys are different between the 2 of them.
August 11, 2013 06:37PM
I did try the At Pro that was a long time ago and I have not tuched a detector in almost two years. So it is like starting over learning how to relic hunt and not be overwelmed by iron. Old habbits are hard to break but now it will be like almost hunting for the first time and learning over from the other machines I have had. I want to go into the thick of iron and see if I can find a good tone mixed in with the iron it looks like it will still be awhile before I can play in the dirt again..So I have nothing but time to read and read and read.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 11, 2013 09:31PM
So you tried the AT Pro when it had all its initial problems. You may actually like the AT Gold then listening to how you are gonna wanna hunt. If you have noticed the
Guys on Diggers both use the Gold and now Bill Ladd and Howard Hewitt are using it. Makes you think a little about how good these machines really are. Actions speak louder than words afterall.
August 11, 2013 11:10PM
I think each machine has to be masterd and if you can push a machine and if it has some programing then I think we can tweek it to our likes. If it can't do more then it was intended to do then we are trying to get something that can't reach our goal. And of course our dirt how we swing the coil how we ground balance what coil we use what the ground looks like. They did a test where the At Pro had flat ground mixed with large divits and the machine reacted to these. They have a way where you can ground bal and then fine tune it. They did that and the falsing went away they set some targets out and it would pick them up. Now this was in all metal but this machines claims to have a different all metal. I have to read more but that could be a big help on fields and uneven ground. The way you can check iron is another way at helping tell a nail from a good target and it seems to help with bottle caps or crown caps. You have to be abel to learn the way the machine talks or how it sounds and not all of us have a ear for that. So interesting and Tom seems to think with the small DD coil the 8X5 DD I think...he wrote this detector can see a lot of targets that are being masked???

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 12, 2013 01:25PM
Had a buddy that would dig everything for the first hour when he was fresh with a non metered unit and then switched to a metered unit for the rest of the day.
I still remember some of his nice finds including a couple of gold rings so whatever works.
Over the years have become more selective and would rather spend the time above ground than digging junk besides as one ages the digs become harder so your call...
PS: where do you guys store all your units???