Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Random woods hunting...

Posted by Tim N 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Random woods hunting...
August 12, 2013 10:33PM
Does anyone do it and have any luck doing so?
Re: Random woods hunting...
August 12, 2013 10:56PM
Yes.......focusing on year around water sources (springs, branches, creeks, small rivers,) and the highest point near those water sources. If ya start hearing iron in the ground (don't Disc iron out), dig a piece of it and see if'n it's an old square nail. You may have just found an old habitation and/or campsite!!! It's a fun way to hunt in the Autumn. Carry a couple bottles of water, a few Musketeers bars and crakers and peanut butter. And get ready to make a long trek. Be on the lookout for old sunken roads (not skidder trails) and detect those old roads. You'll likely hear small iron reporting through (horse and mule-shoe square nails). I have found Indian Heads in those old roadbeds. And they lead somewhere........an old homesite maybe? In the woods, look for understory growth and buttercups (in the spring) and old Holly bushes. Another sign of old homesite. Or bricks peaking up from the leaves. Old...homemade bricks. Or store boughten, as long as they are old and all edges are rounded from weather and age. Now, those are just a few of my little techniques.
I love to be walking through the woods and see those bushes that people use to plant as shrubbery around there house. Hope this helps Tim.
August 13, 2013 01:06AM
Good info kevin!
August 13, 2013 01:42PM
Nice tip for you hunters as old homes and such are there for the finding and are probably virgin territory especially if way off the beaten path.
Wait till the next Spring when foliage is down and for gosh sakes don't hunt during the gun season as it could be dangerous as a swinging coil could imitate a lot of critters you hunt.
August 13, 2013 08:05PM
Very good info Kevin. Alot of my public parks are being close to detectors and woods hunting may have to be another source of hunting for me and my wife since its getting hard to find places around my area.
August 14, 2013 06:44PM
Good solid info Kevin...

Where theres water and an old road there somthing there!

Thank's

Keith