Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My first historical find after a hiatus. (pic)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My first historical find after a hiatus. (pic)
August 30, 2013 02:26AM
I had 25 minutes to hunt this evening after leaving Wal Greens with my mothers medicine. The spot was not far away. A front yard of a house, that has been turned into a photography studio. I got geared up, ground balance the AT Pro with small coil. My first hit was a 1975 copper Lincoln memorial cent. I kept getting a fair amount of iron grunts and decided to investigate. I dug two piece. SQUARE NAILS!!!!! OLD ones. Almost rotted in half!!! ALRIGHT!!!!!!!! I was in the right spot!!!! My next signal was a hi tone/mid tone mix from two directions. I dug a plug. In the bottom of the hole (about 5 inches deep) my Propointer rang out that something was a bit deeper. I whooped out the Lesche knife. Out popped this Colt Pattern Army Revolver (H.W. Mason) patterned 44 bullet!!! This is right across the road from where I found my very first Civil War relics!!!!! I am going to hit it hard in the morning. WE NEED RAIN!!! But that ain't stopping me. I have permission to hunt here indefinitely. After I dug the bullet and showed it to the young fellow who was inside photographing stuff (he asked me to show him if I found anything historical). He was intrigued. But I....was PUMPED!!! It was almost dark. I dug a 50's mid tone signal. It was a 2012 Jefferson nickel....almost three inches down. I know for a fact that this yard hasn't been dug in for a long while. I pass it everyday and have ever since I could drive 33 years ago. Anyway, three finds in 25 minutes, and one was a keeper! The marble revealed itself when I was digging the square nails. Figured I'd keep it and put it with the others I have. Man!!!! I REALLY think that I have caught the fever again. And on top of that.....a cool front is headed our way!!!! Cool front or no, I am going in the morning, the Lord willing. Anyway....here's a pic of my meager finds. Worth of the bullet? Who cares, right??? The pleasure that I got from saving it from modern development, and the pleasure that I derived from digging it and holding it......is priceless. I remember now why I enjoyed this hobby!!!
Re: My first historical find after a hiatus. (pic)
August 30, 2013 02:36AM
Right on bud! Sometimes we just have to break away from something for awhile to get the passion back. Ray
August 30, 2013 09:52AM
Nice find.
August 30, 2013 08:40PM
Cool weather and maybe some rain for that soil, sounds like it's time for detecting.
August 31, 2013 03:45PM
Went back and found three wheaties. In the 1940's. Yes, the ground is parched. It takes me some time to get the plugs put back in perfect condition. But this is not a manicured lawn at all. But still, I leave it like I found it. Some rain and cool temps would really be wonderful. I think that there might be some good stuff in there.
August 31, 2013 04:41PM
Wow Kevin, that's crazy that your end of the state has been that dry. It has done nothing but rain rain rain on this side of the state. According to the official reports, we are 19.50 inches above normal rain fall for the year. The total for the year so far is 53.75 inches...as of the 23rd, and it has rained since then. The record for this area was set back in 1994...it hit 73.70 inches for the year, and they are saying it's looking like we might break that record or get really close to breaking it. I know the official report is taken in Chattanooga for this area...and there has been some days when it has rained here but not there. There wasn't a week in August or July in which it didn't rain...wettest summer I've ever seen in my 30 years. The high temps have been in the upper 70s and low 80s.

Anyway..sorry for weather history LOL.
August 31, 2013 05:59PM
Tennessee seems to fall on the boundary of several dividing lines. The deer population, down here in Hardin County (we touch the Mississippi Line, Alabama Line) are smaller than up in Fulton TN where RUGER (moderator on TNDEERTALK>COM) lives. The deer up there, and up into Kentucky, are TWICE as big as our deer down here excepting for the occassional monster which is the exception rather than the norm.
And it seems, EVERY YEAR, that folks all around use get nice white fluffy snowfalls. We get slush. Then it freezes at nite, and we have frozen....salty....slush.
One of these days I am going to live where they get some snow. Not ALOT ...but some. And some rain. And some cooler temps. I just cannot be happy today.
Okay...here's why. I drive a Honda Civic (I'm 6'4" 220 lbs) (an elderly gentleman who decided to cross the street in his '75 station wagon totaled my 99 Tacoma). But I was at the place I found the bullet just minutes ago. Not detecting. But splicing a wire that I had cut into with my digger yesterday evening. It's a 10-2 cable that goes to the light in the sign in the yard. I got it fixed. The renters where gracious and just wonderful people. So, I finished there, and went to Quik Mart for some Cappucino (that powdered crap that merges with hot water within the machine to deliver the tasty, yet questionable concoction that I drink one a day of). I pulled my Civic UP to close to the high sidewalk. I didn't here 'dragging' when I pulled up. But I certainly did when I pulled out!!! I left my front cap of the vehicle (I barely got it in the trunk after lowering the rear seats....everyone looking and having themselves a fine ol tyme at my expense). I came home. Here I am. I am ill as a hornet. But not at y'all. Actually I feel better since I shared my misadventure. Anyway, I felt compelled to share this in case my reply to your (Daniel's) reply didn't make sense. I'm gonna lay down and take a nap. Tuesday, I'll go to the body shop for an estimate. $500 deductible on my State Farm insurance. No toys for me for while. I think that I am undergoing the "trials and temptations" talked about in James chapter 1. I just ain't got the "Count it all joy..." part down yet. LOL....sigh......But thanks for y'all's replies. I guess that I can use Momma's Avalon to go digging in next week when the weather changes.
August 31, 2013 10:29PM
Wow! I'm sorry for you bad luck! It's hard to avoid some of those stops like that. I've caught one now and then, "but" thankfully not with those results. Yet!
September 01, 2013 02:41AM
Nice Colt Bullet Kevin..

Any time you can dig a revolver bullet like that you are getting close...

Pretty gold eagle C button probably cose By..

Keith
September 02, 2013 12:53AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Pretty gold eagle C button probably cose By..
>
> Keith
Thanks TracyJM and Keith!!!! Oh I feel much better now. I had a good dove hunt today to clear my mind. But yes, directly across the road from this place, is the place where I found my first CW relics...ever. And among my finds there? You guessed it.....a nice, gilted, C button, coat sized.!!
Now....get rady for some REAL good news....well.....for me.....and some people from Tennessee........IT RAINED!!!! ALOT!!! Th ground is good and soaked now. And the rain came in torrents at times, and a steady good rain at others. I am going to see if this yard will give up anything else due to the new conditions. Tomorrow morning.