Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

just a thought

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
just a thought
September 02, 2013 05:12PM
With the money we spend on detectors if you spent the same money on a computer just think about what you would get. They are software driven and you can buy software to do just about anything. But they can't bring that same aspect into our machines we hunt with. Becasue it would cost too much and the market is not there. I think the market is there but no one to develop such software. It would be cool if it worked that way but it doesn't and we still have our trash to deal and hunt through. It seems we are getting to hunt more in iron and that is great but the trash we still have to dig because a detector can't tell us more about the object we are going to dig.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 05:33PM by Lawrenzo.
Re: just a thought
September 02, 2013 06:08PM
The MD industry has about maxed out the VLF platform.

When I had my JETCO BFO, it told me if the target was ferrous (permeable iron causes increased inductance) or non-ferrous (resistive load lowers inductance). When the loop inductance drops the oscilating frequency rises - pitch increases - yeah metal. Pretty simple but effective. But didn't know for sure what the non-ferrous target was until I dug it.

Now, in VLF, the reactive component vector - postive or negative polarity, tells you if the target is ferrous or non-ferrous. An advancement. Combine the ratio of the reactive and resistive components - zap, you have target phase meters. Another advancement.

Despite the meters, for the most part you still don't know if the phase belongs to a gold ring or a pull-tab. You still have to dig it. The Minelab hybrid system of measured time constants still requires the same digging effort to determine if the t/c really is a pull-tab and not a gold ring.

So, to keep sales going - we have color screens, GPS, clocks, faster processors, or overdriven gain to improve depth overagainst stability. The technology still has not answered the basic question: determining what is in the ground before you dig.

The next big tech break will probably be a high-resolution imager that maps the actual target image and then determines composition and density and probable identitiy. Not just for large targets like buried pipes, but one with sensitity sutiable for coin-sized targets or even small nuggets. Whomever develops this technology first at an affordable price will blow away the rest of the industry.
September 02, 2013 06:35PM
Hmmmmm...

I'm not sure I'd even want a unit that could tell me EXACTLY what was in the ground. First, it would kill the 'surprise factor' of hunting. You know that feeling & thrill one gets when they hear a great signal, and start digging the plug. Is it a merc? A seated? A largie? All that would be gone. Furthermore...

If a detector actually COULD tell you exactly what was in the ground, every Tom, Dick & Harry would run out, buy a detector, and have the same chance of success as you & I...even though it took me MANY years to actually LEARN this science & how to hunt. That would bother me. The way it is now, it's survival of the fittest, which I like. A complete newb, or, a pro with 30 years experience can go out and buy the same $2,000 detector. Doesn't mean squat though. They actually have to know what they're doing; what to dig, what not to dig, what the machine is saying, what settings to dial in, etc., etc., etc. If your skills can't cut the mustard, more left for me smiling smiley

One final thing, as if the competition isn't bad enough now, one can only image how bad it would be if a detector could actually tell a person; "Gold ring. Dig now.", "Half reale. 5 inches, please dig." I could easily envision hundreds of people swinging on a beach during a weekday at the peak of winter. Tens of hunters in even the most remote, barren spots searching for the 'big one'. Nah, I like it the way it is now. Not perfect detectors, but, separates the SKILLED from the lucky.

Joe
September 02, 2013 06:36PM
You would think someone would think outside of the box and run away with your idea and clean-up...everything is shrinking where we hunt time is running out in some parts of the country for us to find places to hunt.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

September 02, 2013 06:53PM
NJ Digger nailed it.... if you caught a large fish everytime out, rolled a 300 bowling , hole in one etc. it wouldn't be fun anymore....
lots of good units out there so learn one well and perhaps the lightbulb will go on....and now and then expect a nice find.....
September 03, 2013 12:02AM
To help tell trash from a good target I have not found a unit yet that can help me with that problem..Iron yes we are there but not trash.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 03, 2013 02:03AM
Minelabs are your answer Lowrenzo.
September 03, 2013 02:12AM
3030 will open your eyes in modern trash very acurate/exact/precise in I.D.

remarkably fast too...

no slouch in unmsking either when set up right..

best machine I have used for a do it all but prospecting...

Keith
September 03, 2013 02:28AM
Thanks I just got the At Gold and am going to use it till I see what fisher and Tek come out with..the minelabs are to heavy for me and never really like the flute sound and all the programing. I guess I just want a machine that is a good fit and I don't have the funds to buy anything new just yet.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 03, 2013 03:00AM
Dotn worry lawrnezo the AT you have is the msot bang for the buck going in my opinion..whatever that counts for LOL...

You will do well with it in those sites you have in California.

Looking forward to seeing some of those miner 49er relic's!!

Was it you who foudn the prospector buckle out there a few years back?

that was a great piece...

you know the story behind those plates were that the sutlers would sell the NEW prospectors a gold panning kit and the kit included the buckle you found...

what a piece of Americana..

I believe it was you who found it if not I cant rememebr who...

if it was you I would love to see it again...

Keith
September 03, 2013 03:34AM
I agree with Joe (nynjdigger) on this one ----- there has to be "some" element of surprise left in hunting/detecting or else it would take all the fun out of it.

I also agree with DeathRay and Keith too on this one.

HH Lowboy and get stronger soon!
September 04, 2013 02:57AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would think someone would think outside of the
> box and run away with your idea and
> clean-up...everything is shrinking where we hunt
> time is running out in some parts of the country
> for us to find places to hunt.

i agree! people who never noticed us before are giving us grief now!
i find myself getting angry,and feeling frustrated,and this just talking about hunting
"public" sites,and doesn't take in to account hunting "private" yards which around here seem damn near impossible
to hunt because of the "polarized",paranoid society we live in today...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 04, 2013 03:02AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> To help tell trash from a good target I have not
> found a unit yet that can help me with that
> problem..Iron yes we are there but not trash.

this is true! don't believe
we will ever see that breakthrough.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 04, 2013 03:06AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> 3030 will open your eyes in modern trash very
> acurate/exact/precise in I.D.
>
> remarkably fast too...
>
> no slouch in unmsking either when set up right..
>
> best machine I have used for a do it all but
> prospecting...
>
> Keith

hi keith!
will the 3030 actually separate aluminum and a coin
in the same hole, show the two targets on the screen, as aluminum junk,and coin
down there BEFORE you dig it?...thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 04, 2013 04:13AM
Jmaryt, you ever use a sovereign? Like untill you are one with it?
September 04, 2013 03:27PM
The 3030 is like buying a used, used car...two grand it would take a lot of hunting to pay that off I for one won't part with my money at this point in the game. I know how tough it is to hunt where I live.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 06, 2013 09:02AM
deathray Wrote:
> Jmaryt, you ever use a sovereign? Like untill you
> are one with it?

no! but i guess i should?....maybe some day!
no dough right now!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 06, 2013 03:16PM
*** will the 3030 actually separate aluminum and a coin in the same hole, show the two targets on the screen, as aluminum junk,and coin down there BEFORE you dig it?...thanks! ***

The basic physics isn't going to change. A non-ferrous coin and a non-ferrous shard of aluminum with similar time constants aren't going to be differentiated, on any detector. Even if they are adjacent to each other, separated by a few inches, the response would simply look very similar. Not until you dig it up.

But... to get the best look at what is in the ground you'd want something more than a single phase angle, the typical linear VDI display. The best idea I've seen so far is the Minelab Smartfind grid that give the user the best chance to get a probable target ID.
September 08, 2013 05:58AM
i agree but thought i would ask,because of the new wonder toy,the 3030!
i guess separating iron,and non-ferrous targets is where it's at with the 3030's smartfind grid.
is this accomplishment enough to justify $2,500.00? it's "suuuup" to you as the asians say!

(h.h.!)
j.t.