Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pinpointer and old age

Posted by Hungarian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pinpointer and old age
September 08, 2013 06:33PM
I go metal detecting, get done at the site and load everything into my trunk of my car. I get about 2 miles away and start to question whether I put my pinpointer in the trunk or left it on the ground somewhere. Then I have to pull over and check....this is the fourth time in a row it has happened. I can only blame that I am getting older.....but from now on it rides in the cup holder next to me.
Re: Pinpointer and old age
September 08, 2013 09:02PM
Easily done. If it's a Garrett Propointer or Minelab ProFind, you can buy a tabbed washer, normally stainless steel, to which you attach a belt-clip lanyard. Your pointer stays with you then. You could also try wrapping it in white/yellow/hi-viz etc. self-adhesive tape, to make it stand out. The washers are commonly listed on eBay U.K, I imagine they are also sold in the U.S?
September 08, 2013 10:47PM
Not old age but the same psychological issue people have when they leave their house and begin to question if they locked the doors. For me it's the overhead garage door--same for my bride. I jokingly will ask her if we put the door down after we've left to go some where and only steadfast reassurance will dissuade her from having to go and check. I invariably question whether I put up my detector , not just the pointer, when I'm leaving some where and frequently end up pulling over to check. The root cause say the shrinks is a hidden desire not to stop the particular activity and one tries to create "reasons" to continue. It's an understandable condition when it comes to detecting and where are we more comfortable than at home. I have learned with both my garage door and detector to form a mental picture of it as it should be before I leave. smiling smiley
September 09, 2013 01:22AM
I used a sticky (self adhesive) velcro kit to mount mine to my detector shafts.

The pro pointer comes with a case that you can wear on your belt but it also has the fury part of velcro on the backside so I mounted the rough part to my shafts, and cut enough to use as a strap and then stick the pro pointer to the shaft and strap it with the piece about 8" long.

Works like a charm and is way more convenient with quicker access than having it strapped to your side PLUS it's always with the machine/not left somewhere :-)
September 09, 2013 01:41AM
we just have to try harder when we get older to remember stuff I am retraining my mind to do everything

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 09, 2013 04:04AM
Same thing happens to me. We have an empty house on the market which I visit everyday cause I still have a large fish tank full of fish that want to be fed. Often when I leave I think did I lock the front door or not, I want to be sure so back I go to find out if I locked it. If I am lucky I don't get out of the driveway before this happens. Don't worry Paul I can sell you another pinpointer lol just kidding
September 09, 2013 12:53PM
Its part of the drill of getting older...quite natural forgetting something but when you forget what something is used for time to see a Dementia Doc.

May be a little off post but I put a pink tape on mine in case I leave it next to the plug...or drop when hunting easier to find....

PS: If I left mine at home would probably return to get it as next to my detector its a valuable tool...
September 10, 2013 12:50AM
Forgetfulness isn't necessarily a symptom of aging; it can be a symptom of years of inactivity, poor circulation, and brain atrophy (from lack of use). Poor physical conditioning affects (to a large degree) your ability to focus, think, and remember, which can be helped by regular physical activity - such as weight lifting (more so than aerobic exercise - like MDing). Since T.V. watching is a passive occupation and book reading is active, one might assume that reading several books a week would also increase mental sharpness.

I've found that designing or creating things helps keep the brain going. I like computer programming, which requires contemplating in-depth to solve problems, or studying/learning new things seems to be a form of beneficial brain exercise. Tackle something new (learn a new detector) - and thereby force your brain to keep the synapses it has or create new ones. Use it or lose it.

Of course, alcohol kills off brain cells fast - and you don't make more. Well, I think while I type I'll have that beer now....

Theree thaaattz bettrr .... Now mY brane .... is worckng .... Mucth Betere! (Actually, I don't drink - but you get the point)
September 10, 2013 12:58AM
If you ever misplaced/lost anything when you were younger, then that dispels that old age theory.
September 10, 2013 03:34AM
Well, I blow that theory to hell Johnny. I'm not mr universe, but I'm very active and in decent shape and work construction...and I'm constantly setting down a hammer, chalk line, tape etc and a minute later I have to ask my coworker where the hell I put it. Its so bad, I joke about early alzheimers. But I did drink myself into a stupor and do copous amounts of drugs years ago, so that's probably the sad truth.
September 10, 2013 11:12AM
Ha Ha, Ray, My guys would just lay tools around the job, no particular spot. I tried to train them to either keep them in their pouch or put them down, in one particular spot. I used to put an old 32" long wooden tool box on the job and told them to use that as a location if they needed to drop tools. I would shake my head when they leaned levels in between studs....they can get rocked in and lost for good. I also hate tools left on the floor, a pet peeve of mine, especially now that I have to wear bifocals.....trip, bend, kick, crunch...crap!

On remodeling jobs, I have taken apart walls and found tools and old levels.

If I'm building or installing something and get interrupted by a question or by the homeowner or have to solve a problem,... getting back to my project, I have to ask myself 'what was my train of thought' 'what was I doing' and what was my plan of attack. When doing remodeling, you have to think many moves ahead...you don't want to have to say 'oops' too often, or, at all.

My memory has always been lousy as far back as I can remember...maybe not, I don't recall. lol.
September 10, 2013 12:01PM
Lol, I hear ya Ozzie. The most frustrating thing I do is, come off the roof to grab something from the truck,& when I get to the truck, can't remember what the heck I came for.
September 10, 2013 02:37PM
Heck they have vitamins for brain power....only problem after you take them for a week get so smart you don't finish the bottle...or perhaps forget where you put the bottle....everyone forgets so just remember not to....
For what its worth my wife reads a lot and also does many puzzles and she is sharp as a tack...just ask her....
September 10, 2013 08:33PM
When stress acts up, I notice myself running around the shop a whole lot more.
Where did I put that, where's them pliers, socket, etc. etc.
Especially when it's not a routine fix.

Then someone walks in, I go sell them something or work the salesman charm.

Come back to the job at hand,... and,... where did I put that wrench again??
Then the dog gives a yelp,.... "Give the frisbee some air will you!!"

Was I looking for a socket??
I guess it's all about distractions.

Maybe weird, but I've got the lesche and pinpointer on opposite sides of a 2 ft lanyard.

HH
Johnb
September 10, 2013 08:43PM
They say doing crossword puzzles helps so I found a giant book of them and do them religiously. It works. I can even remember the last time I forgot something. smiling smiley
September 11, 2013 12:28AM
I've heard that too, crossword puzzles or mindbender puzzles help stimulate thinking and improve memory. But ultimately, memory declines with age, but the curve is lessened through mental activities.

Most people I know that are continually forgetful are distracted by unresolved problems in their lives. Being forgetful is a means of relief for them by ignoring or forgetting things that are troubling. For some it is just a lifestyle - they are always off-kilter, never mentally acute or clear, constantly interrupting themselves to change directions, or going through life on auto-pilot with their brains turned off. I would assess it something akin to laziness, the need to avoid painful situations and past sins. The net accumulating effect is that their scrambled brains are their advantage - they have a ready excuse for failing (a fear in and of itself) and they never stop stumbling about long enough to perceive and understand the problem areas in their life. It's a lifelong diversionary tactic - a coping skill perhaps learned as a child.

So, the next time you forget where you left your car keys, or your hammer, or see someone else walking aimlessly about trying to remember something - stop them (or yourself) and reflect a moment on what pressing troubles are lurking in the background that are currently distracting you. No doubt there were several. Sometimes just writing down a chore that is huanting you or other problem needing to be solved releases the pent up anxiety (don't have to keep remembering it anymore - it's written down now).

Taking time to meditate, pray, or just think about your situation (and the issues on the sticky note) will help too. Once you start to solve these latent issues and rid yourself of unresolved traumas and troubles, the confusion begins to vanish and clarity of thinking is often restored. Procrastination and avoidance which worsen the situation have their root in a fear of failure, which has as its source - pride. I suspect that the confusion and troubles that plague many people started from their own past mistakes and sins, which they then compounded by their procrastinating and inattention (avoidance). Avoidance has its root cause in a a fear of being wrong or a fear of failure, which habitually forgetting is just a coping method of avoiding the root issues. Ultimately pride has to be squashed and the truth must be acknowledged before that brain-fog can dissipate.

So, there you go - lack of mental clarity, forgetfulness, and clear decision-making ability is probably curable in most people, to some degree.
September 11, 2013 02:58AM
And don't do drugs kids, haha. Your probably right though Johnny, but my life (like most peoples) is filled with stress....am I going to get that job I bid, did I bid it right, where the hell is my son its 3am, is my wife cooking dinner tonight, lol.
September 11, 2013 03:14PM
hydration is key to mind function.
September 11, 2013 03:57PM
Hi, I'm not so convinced that a bad memory is based solely on the age of a person....It seems like some people develop a bad memory when you borrow them money or an item....But if you owe them money then their memory becomes excellent.....I know a guy that went to a party with his wife,,he later went home and went to sleep,,yup you guessed it,, he forgot her and left her behind at the party,this was years ago....I will always wonder was his memory bad or was it on purpose???? Luckily I feel my memory is still pretty good but I do find myself double checking to make sure I have all my items I came with before leaving a place..Sorry but I'm old school and don't use a pin pointer....JJ