Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For those that buy gold...

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For those that buy gold...
September 16, 2013 12:50PM
Where is a good recommended place to get it from? I am wanting a small/medium size nugget...in the 2 gram size range but don't want to pay way too much for one and or risk getting a fake one. They have some at the gold prospecting places I have been going to, but I know they are way above spot price on them. For example...at one place, they had a small nugget that was probably a half gram in size, for $140 and it wasn't anything special...just a piece of washed placer gold. I'm not looking for one from a particular area...just would like to have a piece in the 2 gram size range...just to have one.

Thanks,
Daniel
Re: For those that buy gold...
September 16, 2013 02:46PM
Ebay, from a dealer who regularly sells them, and has excellent feedback.
September 16, 2013 03:23PM
I might be wrong but seems like everything valuable enough to scam/fake is on eBay just waiting for folks to stop by. I'm not an eBay fan any more. I was thinking there had to be a trusted dealer/buyer/seller that folks would recommend besides eBay. I did look on there but seemed like the prices were a bit inflated there too per weight of gold vs buying price with shipping.
September 16, 2013 04:16PM
I used the ebay route myself for a 0.3 gram nugget for testing purposes. I think picking the right seller is the key.

In California our theme park (Knott's Berry Farm) used to have a gold panning section and a small store selling nuggets. I still remember drooling over a 1 ounce (about) nugget selling for like $49. Of course quitre a while ago.

Good luck, Joe
September 16, 2013 04:21PM
We need a time machine in the worst way!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 16, 2013 04:43PM
Check on-line for a prospecting club in your area. Possible you could approach a member who has something along the lines of what you need and would be willing to sell . Rule of thumb is three times spot for nuggets but I personally think that's just a sellers wishful thinking. 2 grams is only about 30 grains is if I remember right which isn't much of a nugget to be commanding that type of premium. Unless a nugget has some type of really unique feature or shape I wouldn't consider anything less than 6 or 8 grams to even have a chance of being "collectible" in nature so be picky. If you're looking for a test specimen you want a pretty flat , solid one anyway and they're the most common. If you explain you want it for testing your detectors instead of collecting I'll bet someone in a club would be pretty reasonable. The problem right now is everyone's sitting waiting for prices to recover.
September 16, 2013 10:59PM
Dude, go to the Arizona outback forum or Rob Allisons forum...guys sell nugs all the time , usually at spot. Just go on the forum and ask. Or if you know Kuger from the forums, pm him...he may have one to sell. My biggest piece is only a gram, so can't help, lol
September 17, 2013 05:05AM
A great website for gold specimens and some nuggets is Northernnevadagold.com. Most of their gold has been found with detectors and they say which Nevada mining district it's from and sometimes which detector is used. They are now advertising in the ICMJ(International California Mining Journal) where Steve Herschbach often has articles. Specimens to drool over!