Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DeepTech Gold & Wet Grass

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DeepTech Gold & Wet Grass
October 14, 2013 11:24PM
As some of you have read a kind member of the forum sent me his DeepTech Gold with 3 coils to use. I tried it yesterday for the 1st. time in the woodchips at a tot lot because I forgot my trowel at home. I had the small coil on it and it worked great, I also played with it in my yard and it worked fine. Last night it rained and the grass was still pretty wet this morning, I went back out in my yard with the bigger coil and no matter how I had it ground balanced it seemed to be really chatty, turning the sens. down helped some. I tried the small coil as well and it wasn't as chatty as the larger coil but it wasn't as quiet as when I used it in the tot lot the day before (it was a beautiful dry day at that time). The detector was usable but you had to be listening in between the chirps, I wasn't using headphones, the only pair I had available was my daughter's and they don't have volume control on them, they are too loud even with the detector's volume set at minimum. Just curious if it the DeepTech Gold is touchy in wet grass or is it just me. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 11:25PM by SkiWhiz.
Re: DeepTech Gold & Wet Grass
October 14, 2013 11:38PM
Steve,

How was it set up ? Boost on, fast or slow, 2 tone or single, and how high was the sensitivity ? Not sure if any of these parameters may affect it or not ( but boost off may help).

I never used it in wet grass so I can't verify if there may be an issue with wet grass or not.

Glad you are out and about with the VG. Hope you score lots of good targets.
October 15, 2013 12:08AM
I just recently purchased a Gold in August and just started hunting with the machine now that it is cooler. Had the same thing happen with my 11' coil in wet grass. It was so chatty it was impossible to hunt. Yes, if you turned down the sensitivity and turned boost mode off, the coil became a little less chatty. However, you should not have to do that in order for the the machine to work properly. I believe my coil was poorly shielded from moisture which was entering via the coil cable. Have asked my distributor to contact DeepTech in GE. They are shipping a new 11" coil to my distributor in the states.
October 15, 2013 12:32AM
It may be something up with their 11" coils. I had the Smart and it was the same exact way. Wet grass made it erratic and the slightest bump against something would cause it to false.
October 15, 2013 12:51AM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve,
>
> How was it set up ? Boost on, fast or slow, 2 tone
> or single, and how high was the sensitivity ? Not
> sure if any of these parameters may affect it or
> not ( but boost off may help).
>
> I never used it in wet grass so I can't verify if
> there may be an issue with wet grass or not.
>
> Glad you are out and about with the VG. Hope you
> score lots of good targets.

I did not have boost on, it was chatty in the wet grass in single and two tone mode. I had the sensitivity set at around the 4 o'clock position. There were places here and there where the sun had dried out the grass and it worked great there. I am having fun with it therover61 (John) thanks again for giving me the opportunity to use it.
October 15, 2013 02:07AM
When the weather gets cold the grass gets wet and so does the dirt even just being damp from the cold night can cause that. I think I know someone that found the detector to not be to his liking I think if you are hunting in a lot of iron it maybe at its best but that is not the case with all of us.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 03:20PM by Lawrenzo.
October 15, 2013 02:14AM
The DTVG and the Smart will do this at times on wet Grass..The other's will not..

The factory has come up with new coil's...same design elliptical but cured the falsing supposedly on wet grass...

I have a set of the Newest one's from the factory.. But have not used them yet...There only available Now for about a week or so...

I might also add the factory has fixed the issue of wobbly Knobs.. they have a collar device around the shafts of the potentiometer's ...

Keith
October 15, 2013 12:51PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> The DTVG and the Smart will do this at times on
> wet Grass..The other's will not..
>
> The factory has come up with new coil's...same
> design elliptical but cured the falsing supposedly
> on wet grass...
>
> I have a set of the Newest one's from the
> factory.. But have not used them yet...There only
> available Now for about a week or so...
>
> I might also add the factory has fixed the issue
> of wobbly Knobs.. they have a collar device around
> the shafts of the potentiometer's ...
>
> Keith

It's good to know that they are trying to correct some known issues...John
October 15, 2013 12:57PM
Yep.......That is what I heard from the distributor (old) that I bought my Vista Gold from. They are sending him new knobs and a new coil which he will then send to me. In dry tall grass the coil did work but there was still a good bit of falsing on straw and thick grass/vegetation stalks. It was just impossible in the the tall wet grass. Hopefully, I will have the new coil soon.
October 15, 2013 02:47PM
Do we have a new distributor yet?
October 15, 2013 03:21PM
Well you should get a new coil but then it's not yours maybe Keith you can try it out but some of us don't hunt as hardcore as you do but would be nice to see if the machine acts differently

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 15, 2013 04:28PM
Sounds like improper application of electrostatic shield paint (or none at all) applied to coil during manufacturing process.
October 15, 2013 09:34PM
Hey Tom could be true...

The problem from what i have heard is with the SMART 15kHz and the DTVG on 25 kHz...more so on the DTVG...

I with my limited Knowledge of the subject, I believe as the manufacturer's push into the higher Freqs they are finding exact coil windings are morfe critical.espaecially as the gain goes higher....what they can get away wioht on lower freqs does not work on a HF High Gain rig....

But thats jsut my train of thought...

but Hihg freq' do behave differently than a lower freq unit....I can almost tell the freq of a machine by running it nowday's without reading the specs on it...its that noticable...

Keith
October 18, 2013 02:43PM
I decided to try the round stock coil out in my yard this morning and can tell you's that it did not false on the wet grass and that the detector ground balanced very well with that coil. And it is nice & sensitive especially for a coil that size.
October 18, 2013 06:45PM
Hey Steve hte Elliptical coils are outsourced I believe....maybe NEL? not sure...

The round is built in house...

if you have the round with black cable its a very nice coil....if it has the grey cable it is very noisy if the cable move's..

Yoiu will find the round to be a little deeper yet the elliptical to be better in trash..

Keith
October 18, 2013 07:27PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Hey Steve hte Elliptical coils are outsourced I
> believe....maybe NEL? not sure...
>
> The round is built in house...
>
> if you have the round with black cable its a very
> nice coil....if it has the grey cable it is very
> noisy if the cable move's..
>
> Yoiu will find the round to be a little deeper yet
> the elliptical to be better in trash..
>
>

> Keith

The elliptical is also produced in house..

liaso
October 19, 2013 09:13PM
Thanks Liaso!!

Good to know...

They look like NEL coils but maybe the shell's are a generic mold Availabe to all in that part of the world.?

Keith