Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old silver on salt water beaches

Posted by therover61 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Old silver on salt water beaches
December 28, 2009 07:10PM
Question on the enhanced mode of a CZ3D. If there are spots on a salt water beach, in the semi-dry to dry sand, where older coins are buried ( Merc's, seated's etc.) would the 3D be able to run in enhanced mode ? I know alot has to do with the make up of the beach, but I am wondering if any beach hunters using the 3D find they can hunt in enhanced mode. I use my CZ6a almost exclusively at the beaches I hunt, but recently have been intriqued by the 3D ( I just like the CZ platform better than any other machine I have used) because I have been hitting beaches, especially in the semi-dry sand, where there are silver coins being found.

Thanks !

JC
Re: Old silver on salt water beaches
December 29, 2009 01:23AM
.......Wet sand from rain has no bearing on 'Enhanced' mode; HOWEVER, if the sand is slightly damp from saltwater......the 'salt' mode becomes a requirement. In rare occasions.....you MIGHT be able to Grnd Bal out a very mild amount of slightly damp salt/sand......but the percentage of wetness MUST remain constant/linear throughout the coil sweep.......in order for the Grnd Bal set-point to remain 'adjusted correctly'. Should the % of salt moisture vary......the unit will become unstable.
Re: Old silver on salt water beaches
December 29, 2009 01:35AM
I live in West central Florida in Tampa Bay area and 90% of our hunting is on salt water beaches. I have used all the different models of CZ's made since the CZ6 was put out in very early 90's. You can hunt in Enhanced or non-salt mode in the dry sand until the signal goes deep enough, as you near the water line, to reach wet salt, usually about 12", then you'll start getting false signals.

Several yeaars ago we hunted a section of beach used by the Army as an R&R area back in WWII days and we were finding Merc dimes and silver quarters by the handsful, but it took a CZ to go deep enough to get them. All the finds were 8" or deeper up to 12". One of my finds was a Buffalo nickel at close to 13"

Always loved them CZ's. Currently have a CZ3D and a CZ20 in my arsenal!

Wally
Thanks Tom and Wally
December 29, 2009 01:44AM
As of now, I am going to stick with my 2 CZ6a's and CZ20 since I am beach hunting about 90% of the time. I think at some point when I research a few old land sites to hunt in the future, I may get a CZ3D.

John
Re: Thanks Tom and Wally
December 29, 2009 02:42PM
How do you GB the CZ6a on the beach. Same way as on land but on the salt mode? Do you click to salt mode before or after the GB? Any more tips you got on salt water hunting with the cz would be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Thanks Tom and Wally
December 30, 2009 04:19PM
For the wet salt sand, yes, you must be in the 'salt' mode before you attempt to Grnd Bal. It's easier to put the unit in auto-tune with Sens at max......then bob the coil up and down......and adjust the Grnd Bal accordingly.........whilst remaining in the salt mode. Completely dry sand...... you should stay in the normal (or enhanced) mode.