Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who would be the guru of the T2 SE...

Posted by Whimpster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who would be the guru of the T2 SE...
November 15, 2013 12:56AM
I'm curious who would be the guru of the T2SE knowledge,I've read countless post on various forums from many T2 users with a lot of field time...
Seems there many different opinions on what setting is the best in it's use on coins and relics...it's confusing.
I'm want to buy a T2 SE or F75 SE just not sure whats the best machine for me...
I'm leaning towards the T2 SE right now.
Re: Who would be the guru of the T2 SE...
November 15, 2013 01:23AM
Try em both and THEN make the decision as to which is "better" for YOU!
November 15, 2013 01:59AM
Sorry....I don't have the luxury of having access to either machine,so it's all going to depend on reviews and real people with time on their detectors.
But I do wish I could try before I buy....
So I looking for someone that has a lot of field time on their T2 SE that can give me some pointers and then I'll make a decision on a purchases

Thanks Michigan

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try em both and THEN make the decision as to which
> is "better" for YOU!
November 15, 2013 02:06AM
I would opt for the F75 if your a coin jewelry hunter also..If you hunt sites for relic and coin requiring no disc or notching.The T2 will do ya just fine..The 2 machines run basically the same..If money is not a issue.Go for the F75..More coil options,back light,notching etc..
November 15, 2013 02:52AM
Whimpster Wrote:
> Sorry....I don't have the luxury of having access
> to either machine,so it's all going to depend on
> reviews and real people with time on their
> detectors.
> But I do wish I could try before I buy....
> So I looking for someone that has a lot of field
> time on their T2 SE that can give me some pointers
> and then I'll make a decision on a purchases
>
> Thanks Michigan

It seems you already have your mind made up on which one you're going to buy whimpster

notice how you state --- "looking for someone that has a lot of field time on their T2 SE that can give me some pointers and then I'll make a decision on a purchases"

but make no mention of someone to give input that has many hrs of field time on "both"??

Seems you're biased towards the T2 no matter what anyone says about the F75

but all that aside - the fact remains that all the reviews in the world won't help YOU no matter what ---

you need to use BOTH in the field yourself in order to make a competent and intelligent decision as to which is better for "YOU" in your area of the country, in your dirt, which clicks better with you, which you feel more comfortable with, etc. etc.

no one can TELL you those things or make those assessments FOR you - only YOU can do that by testing them both

it's the same as picking a "wife" - no one can tell you which one is better for YOU personally

if all you had was 2 to pick from - you'd have to try them BOTH to see which one works better for/with you! lol
(at least that's my train of thought and how I'd go about it)!

P.S.
I'm not trying to be a _ick - I'm just stating fact/s :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 02:55AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
November 15, 2013 03:16AM
Seriously though -

ask Keith about the differences in features, operation, etc. etc.

he has tons of hrs on both machines (he is biased towards the T2 though)!

Coinranger makes a good case above too
November 15, 2013 03:20AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Whimpster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sorry....I don't have the luxury of having
> access
> > to either machine,so it's all going to depend
> on
> > reviews and real people with time on their
> > detectors.
> > But I do wish I could try before I buy....
> > So I looking for someone that has a lot of
> field
> > time on their T2 SE that can give me some
> pointers
> > and then I'll make a decision on a purchases
> >
> > Thanks Michigan
>
>
> It seems you already have your mind made up on
> which one you're going to buy whimpster
>
> notice how you state --- "looking for someone that
> has a lot of field time on their T2 SE that can
> give me some pointers and then I'll make a
> decision on a purchases"
>
> but make no mention of someone to give input that
> has many hrs of field time on "both"??
>
> Seems you're biased towards the T2 no matter what
> anyone says about the F75
>
> but all that aside - the fact remains that all the
> reviews in the world won't help YOU no matter what
> ---
>
> you need to use BOTH in the field yourself in
> order to make a competent and intelligent decision
> as to which is better for "YOU" in your area of
> the country, in your dirt, which clicks better
> with you, which you feel more comfortable with,
> etc. etc.
>
> no one can TELL you those things or make those
> assessments FOR you - only YOU can do that by
> testing them both
>
> it's the same as picking a "wife" - no one can
> tell you which one is better for YOU personally
>
> if all you had was 2 to pick from - you'd have to
> try them BOTH to see which one works better
> for/with you! lol
> (at least that's my train of thought and how I'd
> go about it)!
>
> P.S.
> I'm not trying to be a _ick - I'm just stating
> fact/s :-)

Ok......feel like I've been just taken to the wood shed....
was looking for some advice and got a lecture.

Thanks for your input Michigan.
November 15, 2013 05:22AM
Whimpster,

What will you be primarily be hunting for ? And what type of soil conditions. These are 2 major questions that should be asked and answered. This way, hunters who have used both, or hunt similar to what you will be searching for and in what conditions, can make a better determination as to what unit would possibly work better for you. Notice the word possibly....sad but true unless you actually use both, you will not know for sure.

Any unit that on paper, may work better in the conditions and hunting style you will be doing, may not be the unit for you, in real world conditions. Lots of times a unit meshes with a hunter, even if the unit is not primarily designed or is not the optimal unit for that hunters application. For instance, the way the unit feels, the audio of the unit, how 'lucky' the unit is ( meaning it just finds really cool stuff all the time).

Believe me, there are units like this that guys have and will never let go....they just work for them, even if there are supposedly better units on the market designed for the type of hunting they do.

Bottom line, based on research and reading posts, if you are primarily a coin/jewelry hunter, the F75Se....primarily a relic hunter in iron laden sites, the T2Se. Guys n gals with more experience, please chime in if I am off base with this assumption.
November 15, 2013 12:16PM
My primarily hunting will be working older homesteads,but we do have a lot of sandy ocean beaches as well
I do have other detectors a Omega 8000 and a G2 with all the extra coils,I currently use both machines for relics and coins/jewelry.
Soil in my area is average I guess,the Omega GB's at around 61 to 64....G2 GB's at 86 to 89.
Both machines do well but I'm looking for a detector that will give me a bit more depth when I'm working older homesteads.I have a chance to work a few large
farm fields so I guess that's why I was looking at the T2 Se or F75 Se.
The T2 seems to be the favorite in the UK from reading post on some other forums and this kind of mirrors my type of hunting.
The problem is there are not many people using metal detectors in my area and the ones that do are using the cheaper models of BH and Garrett's that can be bought at the big box stores.
So I don't get a chance to play with some of the higher end detectors and will have to order by mail if I decide on one or the other....hence asking for some advice from those that have used them or still do.

Thanks theover61 for your input.

therover61 Wrote:
> Whimpster,
>
> What will you be primarily be hunting for ? And
> what type of soil conditions. These are 2 major
> questions that should be asked and answered. This
> way, hunters who have used both, or hunt similar
> to what you will be searching for and in what
> conditions, can make a better determination as to
> what unit would possibly work better for you.
> Notice the word possibly....sad but true unless
> you actually use both, you will not know for sure.
>
>
> Any unit that on paper, may work better in the
> conditions and hunting style you will be doing,
> may not be the unit for you, in real world
> conditions. Lots of times a unit meshes with a
> hunter, even if the unit is not primarily designed
> or is not the optimal unit for that hunters
> application. For instance, the way the unit feels,
> the audio of the unit, how 'lucky' the unit is (
> meaning it just finds really cool stuff all the
> time).
>
> Believe me, there are units like this that guys
> have and will never let go....they just work for
> them, even if there are supposedly better units on
> the market designed for the type of hunting they
> do.
>
> Bottom line, based on research and reading posts,
> if you are primarily a coin/jewelry hunter, the
> F75Se....primarily a relic hunter in iron laden
> sites, the T2Se. Guys n gals with more
> experience, please chime in if I am off base with
> this assumption.
November 15, 2013 02:20PM
Sorry I can't help as after using early models the EMI just drove me crazy.I think Tom or Keith could answer all your questions as it seems they are two of the resident Guru's . From reading and researching seems like their are noisy ones out their which may hinder the process but many do well with either once well learned.
November 15, 2013 02:38PM
I would lean more towards the F75 SE (with both coils) for your specific application........... BUT........... you said 'beach'. This has me concerned........ if you refer to the 'wet salt' beach. Changes the entire equation. I would never recommend the F75/T2 for wet salt.
November 15, 2013 11:09PM
Why would you choose the F75 Se over the T2 Se for my application?
Is it because of a few extra options the F75 has over the T2 or is the F75 just a much better detector over all?
As for the beach I'm aware of the pit falls of wet saltwater sand....my Omega will not work on a saltwater beach,but
my G2 will work with some success in dry or damp sand..

Thanks Tom... looking forward to hearing your opinions.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I would lean more towards the F75 SE (with both
> coils) for your specific application...........
> BUT........... you said 'beach'. This has me
> concerned........ if you refer to the 'wet salt'
> beach. Changes the entire equation. I would never
> recommend the F75/T2 for wet salt.
November 16, 2013 02:09AM
Quote:"I was looking at the T2 Se or F75 Se. The T2 seems to be the favorite in the UK"
This is because they are seen as virtually the same machine, but the T2 is 100 Pounds ( = 150 US dollars) cheaper, so wins the vote. Bells & whistles like notching and more resolution in the non-ferrous range are seen as superfluous.
November 16, 2013 03:57AM
I prefer a T2 S.E. over any other First Texas product....

I find the T2 S.E. to hit on Relics a tad bit better than the F75 S.E. and the F75 S.E. seems to like coins a tad bit better...

the F75 se is HOTTER but with the emi problems its not that much of a selling feature to me...

there is certian option's the 75 has like boost in any tone beside 2 tone only like the T2 has for boost also if that's an issue for you..

They are close to the same machine but the T2 is more of a Relic machine and the 75 is more of a jewelry coin machine...

Both will find the same target's but the Buttons seems to jump out better on a T2 and that's from running them both and just noticing what one prefers over the other...they both will hear the same targets but certain targets jump out at you better on each...

I might add they have worked on the emi problems of late and MAYBE the T2 not being quite as HOT works with the new shielding better than the hotter f75?

I stay in Boost process 99 sens in iron with the latest T2...

Keith
November 16, 2013 05:34AM
Yes, , , , being able to use the boost process in all of the tone modes/options is of major significance................ and extra depth capabilities in open farm fields with the F75 SE. In iron/nail infested areas...... the 5" DD coil coupled with boost process in any tone selection/option is the correct tool-set.
November 16, 2013 07:22AM
Having not used a T2 at all, I can just go by what my trusted dealer told me.
Nearly the same machine as the F75 but with a more expanded iron range.

As I'm mostly a coin and jewelry guy,... I opted for the F75 Ltd and I've grown to like it.
For a VLF this thing has very decent depth, ground balance is spot on, it can be a bit chatty, but that can be easily tamed.

Other than that, it's a great swing!
You probably can't go very much wrong with either machine.

HH
Johnb
November 16, 2013 02:15PM
Well I guess this is going to be a harder decision to make then I thought....you all have brought up some very valid points.
Both detectors have very good reviews and it's going to be tough to make a choice..
I just don't want to be overwhelmed by either detector at the start so the simpler the better until I can learn to run the detector efficiently.
Guess I'll think it over for a bit and then hopefully make the right call for my kind of metal detecting.
Thanks to all that have responded to my quest.

MichiganRelicHunter
coinranger
therover61
Dan-Pa.
NASA-Tom
Pimento
Keith Southern
scoopjohnb
November 16, 2013 08:21PM
I've had both but my favorite was and is the F75 for relics; that's what I currently have and use. I didn't like either the F75 or T2 for coin hunting...IMO there are other machines that excel at that particular venue. Both are great machines though. I am a simple minded person. So here is the big reason I like the F75 over the T2........ ............. ...........

The T2 doesn't retain the settings after you turn it off and then back on. The F75 does. That's it.

I like being able to just turn the unit on, and it be exactly where I left it when I turned it off. Even though it only takes a few seconds to a minute to put them back...it's just a bit aggravating to have to do that every time.
November 16, 2013 09:17PM
The problem with the F75/T2 choice is that they can also vary not only between models, but also in characteristics from one detector to the next, with the main issue being EMI. The point being, which ever model you decide on, make certain that it is with a reputable dealer/member that can help verify/validate the detector's performance before you get it. I would highly recommend buying one from Tom D. as he goes through each detector to make sure you have a good machine.

Back to the detector, it did sound like you were leaning towards a T2, and that's fine. However, you stated that old homestead sites and farm field hunting for coins would be your primary targets. Therefore my vote would also be on the F75SE/LTD. I have one, a quiet one, and it works well in those kind of hunts. When field hunting I will run in motion all metal until I find the main home site (via multiple nail/iron hits) then switch to disc. mode, either de or pf (dependant upon terrain) with a low discrimination (4-6), and it works well. When homesite hunting, I'll run in BP mode as hot (gain) as I can, with the discrimination at 6. But be prepared to dig deep..... Choose which ever tone you like. I prefer 4 tones as it gives me a sweet mid/high tone on Indian heads. That's probably too much info. at this point, but I've already typed it out....lol.

BTW..... like Tom said, either one is not a good detector for wet salt beaches.... He has a great thread on this site that shows in depth testing as to why....

Best of luck in your "hunt" for a detector...

Travis
November 16, 2013 11:11PM
Daniel you have made some very good points...never thought about retaining the setting, but yes a great feature indeed.
Your starting to convince me....on a F75.
I've also been looking at dollar for dollar whats my best bang for the buck, for my situation.
Thanks for the input...

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I've had both but my favorite was and is the F75
> for relics; that's what I currently have and use.
> I didn't like either the F75 or T2 for coin
> hunting...IMO there are other machines that excel
> at that particular venue. Both are great machines
> though. I am a simple minded person. So here is
> the big reason I like the F75 over the T2........
> ............. ...........
>
> The T2 doesn't retain the settings after you turn
> it off and then back on. The F75 does. That's it.
>
>
> I like being able to just turn the unit on, and it
> be exactly where I left it when I turned it off.
> Even though it only takes a few seconds to a
> minute to put them back...it's just a bit
> aggravating to have to do that every time.
November 16, 2013 11:28PM
IF they are noisy you wont like either one of them Whipster after awhile...oh sure forawhile they will be fun but EMI problems will cause you to look elsewhere if you dont intitialy see the usefullness of the platform..

I dont care about the setting retention myself...Thats a no-no in my book......I like to go through it and set it up each time...even if I just turn it off for a few minute's....

They botha have strong suits....half a dozen of this 6 of that.. you Know...

one thing on the f75 that's weird is if you turn on notch it can get crazy acting quickly....like notchinh iron out...I find the notching system more cumbersome thhn useful to be honest...And I dont even use it ...but it can get turned on...and you will know when it does LOL!!!

T2 does not have a backlight if thats important to you...I just use a clip on hat light when I need it on the T2 ...

Whatever you choose...just learn to use it...

Keith
November 16, 2013 11:29PM
Triplehooked...You hit the nail on the head,yes that's one of my biggest concerns.
I've been reading many post and it seems there is a wide range of F75/T2 detectors that are a nightmare in EMI areas.
My problem is I live in Canada and don't have a dealer handy that would try either model detector first prior to selling it to me...guess I'd be buying a pig in a poke.
Not sure if Tom D. would be interested in selling me one being so far away...but it would be a great peace of mind if it were possible....didn't think dealers pre-tested their machines first.
Guess there always the exception.....would be plus knowing you get a good detector!

Thanks for all your help triplehooked

triplehooked Wrote:
> The problem with the F75/T2 choice is that they
> can also vary not only between models, but also in
> characteristics from one detector to the next,
> with the main issue being EMI. The point being,
> which ever model you decide on, make certain that
> it is with a reputable dealer/member that can help
> verify/validate the detector's performance before
> you get it. I would highly recommend buying one
> from Tom D. as he goes through each detector to
> make sure you have a good machine.
>
> Back to the detector, it did sound like you were
> leaning towards a T2, and that's fine. However,
> you stated that old homestead sites and farm field
> hunting for coins would be your primary targets.
> Therefore my vote would also be on the F75SE/LTD.
> I have one, a quiet one, and it works well in
> those kind of hunts. When field hunting I will run
> in motion all metal until I find the main home
> site (via multiple nail/iron hits) then switch to
> disc. mode, either de or pf (dependant upon
> terrain) with a low discrimination (4-6), and it
> works well. When homesite hunting, I'll run in BP
> mode as hot (gain) as I can, with the
> discrimination at 6. But be prepared to dig
> deep..... Choose which ever tone you like. I
> prefer 4 tones as it gives me a sweet mid/high
> tone on Indian heads. That's probably too much
> info. at this point, but I've already typed it
> out....lol.
>
> BTW..... like Tom said, either one is not a good
> detector for wet salt beaches.... He has a great
> thread on this site that shows in depth testing as
> to why....
>
> Best of luck in your "hunt" for a detector...
>
> Travis
November 17, 2013 02:09AM
The auto backlight is one of the very few things I don't like about the F75. If you have ever hunted at night with one, you will know why. It is just bright enough that it hinders your overall night vision for your surroundings. In previous yrs we started hunting at night in the summer time to escape the heat of the day. You don't want a head lamp light on all the time....it attracts too many bugs. But you do want your night vision to kick in so that you can at least see things moving that are around you. I'm not worried about running into anything that will eat me....but it would be nice to spot a skunk or something before walking right up on one. Having that light on all the time keeps your pupils from getting big...therefore hinders your night vision. Funny incident...although not funny at the time...was hunting a cow pasture one summer night and walking along enjoying the night air. I somehow managed to walk right over the dropoff to a pond in the field. One foot step the ground as beneath me...the next step was a 3 foot drop that I didn't see til I was laying on the ground with cow crap, pee, and musky smelling cow and frog water.

The setting retention thing is a big plus to me. I hunt in motion all metal mode all the time. So I like it to be where I left it. The only thing that changes for me is the GB numbers and occasionally I will frequency shift when I run into EMI, to find the cleanest channel. When I had the T2 that was just one of those aggravating things to me to have to go through setting it over to motion all metal and then ramping up the sensitivity from the auto reset...every time I turned it on. If you've ever had to train somebody on the job where you work...that the person couldn't remember anything you showed them the previous day...that's the kind of thing it reminds me of. LOL
November 17, 2013 02:56AM
The light on my 75 is just about right for night hunting, doesn't bother me at all. Must be I got a good one all the way around...lol. It would be a nice option to have a dimmer feature, wouldn't have to be like the Whites 10 digit system, maybe just a high/low setting. The non memory retention setting (T2) would be a p.i.a for me as I only change a couple things when hunting fields or homesteads. Now, a park or newer high trash type of hunting would be totally different. To each his own, I guess.

It might cost you a bit more to get a validated F75 shipped your way, but well worth the extra coin in my opinion. I got lucky and purchased mine from a mod. on another forum, and it is exactly as he stated. I'll sell it to you as soon as Fisher comes out with their new one....lol.
November 17, 2013 02:44PM
Yes, I have 2 new F75 SE's (with both coils)........ one is validated/certified (7 hour process) ..... and the other is in need of the certification process. I have other (certified) detectors that I can sell........ I should probably announce this. I am NOT a dealer, however. ((( No, I do not have any 1021 CZ-3D's for sale ))).

I have always felt that folks should get what they pay for.................. and also could never be expected to "know" if their unit(s) are functioning 'per engineering design'. . . . hence, my validation/certification process. There are plenty of folks out there that have detectors (of any brand/make) and the unit is not performing per design.............. and the user/owner does NOT know the unit is sub-par; subsequently (unknowingly) continuously hunting at a reduced performance level.......... for years.
November 17, 2013 03:53PM
At Daniel: I have sent you a PM re. the backlight.