Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

wintertips...

Posted by trond 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wintertips...
January 08, 2010 07:55PM
While trudging along the Old Post Road to my daily work this morn,I had about a quarter of an hour to consider what to do in the White Cold Time of the year.
My thermometer read -20`celsius,when I started out,so it is really a Fimbul-like
winter here in Thule.(Up in the valley of Foll it was just a little bit colder
-45`c).....well so much for the cold....
My first tip now is to check out your local library......
--go to the LOCAL HISTORY SECTION-----scan through everything,and i mean everything that has anything related to your neighbourhood or places you want to check out when "Father Frost" leaves the land......
I cannot say for sure but your library can be both,a Goldmine,or just the KEY to future detecting Smiles......
My second tip is about Maps,-every type of maps......
--take a phone ,or check on your PC.for maps---the old topographic/historic ones are a necesssity,and when you couple the info on these maps with modern economic/topographic ones-you are in for some enlightening moments.
If you are able to get photographic copies of old maps,-try getting these on transparent films...the reason for this,well you can use them as overlay sheets.
Remember,however,to check the size!!--they have to be on scale with each other...
Investment in these small efforts now ,will give you tenfold back when spring taps on your door....
trond

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 07:59PM by trond.
Re: wintertips...
January 08, 2010 11:22PM
Research is usually more important than randomly detecting. Good pointers.