Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Keith Southern!!!!!.....

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keith Southern!!!!!.....
November 29, 2013 03:43AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all of my forum friends on the the Dankowski Forum!!!! Keith.....who manufactured that digger that I saw you using when you were detecting and digging around a few of the old homesites in the woods?? You were using a chopping motion. I have seen Bill Ladd, in his vids, use a similar tool. Is that one of those fold up shovels that is issued by the military???? I don't have a army surplus store around here. I might could find one in Jackson TN or somewhere.....but I'd rather order one online. I am going to be hunting some old homesites in VERY rocky soil with a lot of roots. I will need an aggressive digging tool. My predator shovel is good is some places......but I need something to chop through roots and that is tough.
If any other forum member uses one of these....could you please point me in the right direction? Thank ya kindly fellers!!!!
N/T
November 29, 2013 05:32AM
N/T N/T N/T N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 06:57AM by fatheadnc.
Re: Keith Southern!!!!!.....
November 29, 2013 08:30AM
Hey Kevin it s a WW2 Ames dated 1944....

You can get them at army Surplus stores...

about 20.00 bucks or so ought to get one...I think I paid 16.00 for the last ones I bought..about 7-8 years ago...I usually buy 2 or 3 at a time...they last about 3 years of heavy digging..you wont break the handle..they are old growth Hickory.... but you will wear the blade down..

I have tried alot of tools but for housesites the WW2 etool works the best...Keep at att the right angle setting and hook it over your shoulder to remove the weight as you swing though and you can bust some ground up pretty quick... I never hit a target with it either as you remove alot of dirt ,,,I have used this setup for over 20 years and I find nothing better for iron site work when you dig alot of exploratory holes in deepwoods type sites ...

Watch out colllectors have started getting hold of them and driving the price up on them but theres enough to go around...I jsut checked through ebay and theres a few on there for like 20-25 buy it now...but you will also notice some for 125.00 LOL!!!

theres some online Surplus shops that list them sometimes too...I buy mine local though...

Make sure you get the WW 2 ones though with the screw lock handle stay away form the the 1960's ones with the pick option, or the german ones with the push button lcoking system....

Lesche makes a copy with the screw lock its an exact copy for like 125.00 in stainless...but a little high for my taste..

Keith
Link for Shovel
November 29, 2013 07:25PM
[www.gunnyssurplus.com]

plus a a couple on ebay...

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Keith
November 30, 2013 12:02PM
Thank you Keith!!!!!!! VERY MUCH!!!! Merry CHRIST-mas!!!!!!! I ordered me one. I finally filled my buck tag. 3 bucks. The last one was for strictly good eating. Young four pointer. The trophy hunters amongst us would cringe. hee hee But thanks again Keith!!!! You, my friend, are a champion. I went squirrel hunting this morning (killed 2) looking for places in the woods to hunt. And BOY HOWDY did I ever find some awesome places. A year-round branch flows in the holler. Each high ridge that overlooks it is potentially good!!!! And yes.....it is in an area of known high usage of Post Shiloh war occupation by both South and north.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 03:32PM by Kevin B.
December 06, 2013 08:58PM
Guys I sent $ 42.82 to GunnySurplus, which is owned and operated by Randy Yoakum in Union Ohio. Of course, I should have researched it. Be cautious about sending a dime to this place. The website was updated in 2011. I placed my order on 11/30. I received and Order Status update on 12/2. My card has been billed on 12/2. My order status has not changed. No tracking numbr or anything. I then made a search on the internet and found where a young fellow, in December of 2009!!!! has an identical issue. He tried to call the phone number and the phone number recording says: Mailbox is full. It said that for the young fellow back in 2009 and it says it now for me.
So guys and gals......please be VERY careful. I made that transaction one morning when I was barely woke up. From now on, I WILL CALL and I WILL TALK with someone and ask them to go over there and pick the shovel up and hold it....and then.....go box it. I am going to file an immediate Visa Card thing tomorrow. I sent his email address very tactful message today about whether my shovel has shipped. If he hasn't reponded by tomorrow. I''ll start procedure for getting my money back.
If, somehow, my WW2 trenching tool shows up.....I will absolutely update this thread: for the sake of future customers......and for the sake of the integrity of the proprietor.
EDITED.....10 minutes after making this post: I did some research on GunnySurplus....mainly on the Bushcraft forums and I cannot find anyone who is happy with him and his business ethic. This started in 2009. Then in 2010. And I found a thread from 2012. (in the Bushcraft forums) This business has been reported and reported again. My only reason for making this post is that no member here makes the same mistake I did. It's NOBODIES fault but mine. Thank goodness is was just for $25 for the WW2 Trenching tool and about $18 for shipping it. Still, can't never tell. He might email me tonite in response to my email asking for shipping confirmation. If none by Monday (I forgot today was Friday).....I'll go to the bank and file a report. These places have to be shown for what they are. Believe me, I just read about 15 negative coments about the way he takes several months to deliver...etc etc. I don't hold ANYONE on this forum responsible at all. Keith did me a favor by performing a search on places that sold the Ames WW2 trenching tool. He provided two more links besides the 'gunnysurplus'. It's not Keith's fault AT ALL!!!!! He was doing me a favor! Merry Christmas all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 09:27PM by Kevin B.
Hey Kevin I just called the number
December 06, 2013 09:53PM
and got a recording from the guy and he said leave your name and number and he would get back to you....but the mail box is not full...

937-545-6836

Keith
December 07, 2013 03:38AM
That is the very number that I called. And the mailbox was full. I just called it again.....and it isn't full. I hope that me (and several more people) are wrong about his service. I ordered November 30. Anyway......I'll be sure to correct this if I am wrong......and I surely hope that I am. But it WAS full today. He's appears to be a Rotarian in Union OH. Maybe he's just bogged down. I sent him a nice and very tactful email asking about shipping dates and such. If he answers and sends the shovel.....I'll gladly eat crow.
December 16, 2013 01:54AM
I am pleased to say that gunnysurplus delivered my 1945 entrenching tool this last friday. I just wish that he had returned my many calls and emails. But, his may very well be a one man operation. So, in all fairness to gunnysurplus.....I want to make this post and eat some crow. Crow ain't bad if ya use alot of bar-b-que sauce. I apologize for any negativity that I brought to the forum. In my defense, I was merely trying warn forum members. This was after I had read several posts on survival forums, AR15 forums, and so on, that were having the same communication troubles. So....I jumped the gun. (Just wish he'd answer his phone) Anyway, I ordered, and paid for a 1945 AMES entrenching tool.......and recieved it from gunnysurplus. It looks like it saw some use......but it looks like it could see alot more use. They built that thing to last!!!!! I love it. Can't wait to carry it out in the woods and use it.