Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Conifidence regained!!

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Conifidence regained!!
December 02, 2013 03:33PM
I have a hunting buddy that is an excellent detectorists. He uses an Explorer SE Pro like mine. He has been detecting for over 20 years but has been using the Explorer for about 8 years. Being over 40 years younger then me he can dig plugs at the fraction of time I can. His success has always been much better then mine. The other day I asked him if I could hook up to his audio while he detected to which he said yes. I followed him around for a half hour and heard every signal he got and found he was digging the same signals as I do. This gave me a clue that I know my machine. It seems my pattern of searching is wrong and could be my main problem. I don't think I will match him in a days finds very often but out hunt him on occasions. My faith in my skills has been renewed and I can hunt with confidence. Thanks for reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:36PM by Coinseeker 78.
Re: Conifidence regained!!
December 02, 2013 03:41PM
Good for you!
December 02, 2013 06:07PM
It is a wise thing to be aware we can always learn and improve our skills. I sometimes have to refocus on hunting rather than learning. I pretty much know what I am digging before it comes up, but I may choose too often to dig a piece of trash just to see if I am right. But then what if I am wrong? One of my best diamond rings was a lousy signal in an unlikely spot- crisscrossing ribbons of small diamonds seemed to have broken up the reading. As they say, "Just do it!" (I hope they mean metal detect).

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 02, 2013 08:58PM
My advice with Explorers is keep your settings simple and swing real slow....tough to beat youth and seems like he just digs faster than you and in doing so may be digging the iffies whereas you are more particular as digging is more of a chore. I speak from experience as at 75 with diabetic legs and aches and pains I only dig when I am sure. Again hunt against yourself not someone else and glad to see your confidence has returned...and finally its supposed to be fun not a horse race so go out and have fun...