Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question on GB and the Deus

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question on GB and the Deus
December 09, 2013 01:09PM
Pumping , tracking or manual.

Some of the places that I hunt finding a clean area to ground balance is impossible without digging and cleaning out a spot. May be the best ideal for several reasons. But short of that approach what do you guys do.
Assuming that they are times when running manual is preferred I have tried that and sometimes I look down and the numbers are really far apart and when switching to tracking it varies a good bit but the numbers are always within one point of one another with the tracking number usealy one number higher.

I think that the difference mostly comes from the higher concentration of iron.

Should I continue with the tracking mode or would running in tracking for a while and then take the average and then switch to manual and use that average number.

My first thoughts is to just stay in tracking.

Thanks guys
Pac man
Re: Question on GB and the Deus
December 09, 2013 01:45PM
My only concern with tracking (on any unit) is, will the unit ever track out a good target ?

I am with you on always trying to find a clean area of ground to do the GB on, and sometimes clearing it out is the only option.

Since I beach hunt most of the time or hunt in land areas with mild soil, I am not as qualified to answer what the best option would be as those who hunt in iron laden spots or in bad ground.

Interesting idea about taking the average when tracking and using that number to adjust to via manual mode.
December 09, 2013 02:14PM
If you use "tracking" and then swing over any given target for too long trying to pinpoint it or whatever it will track that target (and all others of that value) out and then you'll miss them/not even see/hear them anymore.

Pumping is the way to go even if you have to walk 50 yrds or more away from the area you're hunting to set up/GB

Sometimes manual is called for but overall pumping is going to be your best option --- every so often you may need to re-gb but I do that anyway just to run optimal at all times :-)
December 09, 2013 02:27PM
My last Deus....which was Version 2.......I would use pumping as the Ground balance of choice and I would update it as I watched the numbers on the right side of the screen with Manual. But my new Deus (3.2) will Pump ground balance well in Program 2 (GM Power) but when I switch to Program 3 (Deus Fast) I cannot get it to Pump ground balance on the same small patch of ground that I got it to Pump ground balance in GM Power. I find that odd and unsettling. I will seek out a very clean spot in my yard today and see if it will even ground balance AT ALL in Deus Fast.
With my new machine.....I ground balance while in GM Power (let's say it ground balanced to 78) and then, if I want to use Deus Fast....I will simply manually ground balance to around 78......or.......in Deus Fast......I will run the GB numbers manually down to around 60. I will then pump the coil to ascertain the ground measurement (for lack of the proper term) and then push Manual Ground balance and run the numbers back up until quietness of coil occurs. Hope that makes some sense.
December 09, 2013 02:43PM
Sounds like possibly an EMI issue Kevin

or

very mineralized soil

or

too much iron/trash in the ground where you're trying to GB in the 1st place

I know when my Deus is GB'd properly in my soil here in west Michigan - it's anywhere between 83 to 86 no matter if I'm ground balancing in Deus fast or GMP or any other program

if my numbers vary too far from the 83 to 86 in one direction or the other I know that there's junk in the ground or emi or some issue preventing me from a proper GB and it doesn't matter which program is being used
December 09, 2013 03:29PM
Kevin, glad you mentioned Deus Fast and the inability to GB. I had that same issue when I tried to use the pumping method at the beach ( dry sand ) using Deus Fast. I changed programs ( I think to Basic 1) and it worked, so I then just switched to Deus Fast since I did not think it would matter much after that. It ran fine in Deus Fast after that, but it is interesting that you had the same problem I had when trying to use the pumping method in Deus Fast. And I tried it in several spots on the beach and got the same result ( ie, GB Fail) so I do not think it was an issue with iron, trash or EMI.

I have version 3.2 as well.
December 09, 2013 04:40PM
If you travel to find a clear area, (could be 50+ yds away) the GB may be different. So I find a iron tone target, clear it. The hole will be large enough to get the coil within an inch of undisturbed soil, then either a manual or a fast grab.
December 09, 2013 06:16PM
I like to use manual on all machines except the 705 when it iron on that one I use auto......but yes the manual is the way to go on the DEUS and I like to offset at times when needed.

Keith
December 09, 2013 06:28PM
Kevin if you are staying stock programs when trying both modes...

you will find the Fast has a -1 silencer and a 3 reactivity....

While the GMP is 2 silencer and 2 reactivity..

so with that in mind go to the sme spot of ground and put you GMP program in -1 silencer and 3 reactivity and see if it ground balances...

thos parameters seem to be the only differences in the program's...

Maybe the ground blow back in the audio because of the -1 is causing you trouble? could be..I doubt it's EMI since they both are on the smae freq....unless you have altered one of them...

Keith
December 09, 2013 10:47PM
My Deus acts the same way when I try to pump GB in my yard with Deus Fast and narrowed it down to the underground power lines somewhat close to my test garden. Farther away it does fine.
I believe I read somewhere that faster setting may give EMI problems.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
December 09, 2013 11:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin if you are staying stock programs when
> trying both modes...
>
> you will find the Fast has a -1 silencer and a 3
> reactivity....
>
> While the GMP is 2 silencer and 2 reactivity..
>
> so with that in mind go to the sme spot of ground
> and put you GMP program in -1 silencer and 3
> reactivity and see if it ground balances...
>
> thos parameters seem to be the only differences in
> the program's...
>
> Maybe the ground blow back in the audio because
> of the -1 is causing you trouble? could be..I
> doubt it's EMI since they both are on the smae
> freq....unless you have altered one of them...
>
> Keith
Okay, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Thanks!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!!
December 10, 2013 03:51AM
Is it ok to gound balance (pumping) with reduced sensitivity on the Deus or any detector for that matter and then cranking it back up to hunt?

If dropping the ground balance a few points makes the detector a little hotter won't that cause addtional noise from the ground when hunting in iron?

How much depth will be lost raising the ground balance to reduce some of the micro iron or ground noise?

Just some general questions that I would love to know the answer to.

HH
Fred