Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Me learning to unmask with the Gold Bug Pro, lesson 2...

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Me learning to unmask with the Gold Bug Pro, lesson 2...
December 24, 2013 03:25PM
deathray --

You certainly seem like you have more of an understanding of what is "falsing iron," and what is not...even if you have gotten to that point in a more "disorganized" way (as you put it! smiling smiley ) I guess you found a different path to success -- experience, vs. obsessing over the "hows and whys" of it all. Kudos to you for that, as it sounds to me like you are doing quite well in the nails -- I hope my "thinking" gets me closer to the place where your "experience" has landed you. smiling smiley I will say that I fully agree that there is a certain "feel" or "intuition" that develops over time, regarding "false" tones vs. legitimate targets; I'm much better at that with my Explorer. I can do a halfway decent job of sorting the sounds mentally, with that machine, as long as the nails are only scattered and sparse. But, as I said, in my mind the Explorer is not the right tool to use in the heavy iron...

Hombre -- that's quite a testimonial to the Bandido. And you aren't too far from me, up there in south central Kansas -- I'd love to see you and your unit in action, some day. If you are into the square nails, and "spits and sputters" are all that sneak through your disc setting, then that is pretty doggone good, in my opinion. I can guarantee you I have heard some AWFULLY good-sounding square nails (to my ears, anyway), on the machines I use!

Steve
December 24, 2013 03:57PM
Hi Steve,

Yeah.....I would like to hunt with you at some point, just a little too cold right now. Do you know BJ OKL? I bought a Pantera off of him several years ago and we talk once in a while.
The Bandido is not perfect in the nails but it is a learning experience every time I hunt with it. It is not a good detector for modern trash sites as aluminum is it's biggest downfall.
The Tesoro Pantera is the one for modern hunt sites as it is a two tone machine with a notch control to adjust a break-point. I just set it to break tone on a zinc penny. It does good for
finding higher conductive coins in the aluminum trash without the masking problems that high discrimination causes.
December 24, 2013 11:04PM
To me the bandido is by far the best machine I have ever used to dig bigger iron. When you put the disc on lowest setting, it pretty much knocks out the small stuff,while letting in the pick tips,horseshoes and tools that are common in mining camps,and I like to dig em. The only drawback on the bandido to me is these same areas often have really hot soil, and it definitely affects the depth. But all in all, it and the gb pro are my favorite machines right now. I have a like new Tejon,with multiple coils, thats begging to be learned,and I cant seem to put down the old standbys long enough to figure it out,lol.
December 25, 2013 03:08AM
Thanks for another endorsement of the Bandido, deathray. Very interesting...

Hombre -- I sure do know BJ...I hunt with him and we are pretty good friends. We are in contact every couple of days or so; he only lives about 5 miles from me. He's a great guy...

Steve
January 04, 2014 01:31AM
What a fantastic Post.

Joe
January 04, 2014 02:30AM
wolfau -- isn't it great when someone asks a question, and the expert folks here on the forum chime in with answers? It's like they are giving those of us who don't know as much a "graduate level" course in detecting!

I have another opportunity to hunt the "military" site tomorrow morning -- the site where all the square nails are. I look forward to "continuing my education" in the iron...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 02:32AM by steveg.
January 04, 2014 02:41AM
Cool,keep us posted. Ill be hunting a nail site too, trying to decide weather to take the trusty GBPro, or bring the Tejon and commit to learning it.
January 04, 2014 02:43AM
deathray -- let's both report back tomorrow and compare notes, what do you say? Hope you nab a gold coin from amongst the nails, my friend! winking smiley

Steve
January 04, 2014 03:38AM
Good luck guys. I'll be here in below zero temps waiting for nice long stories of fame and fortune. Have a blast!
January 04, 2014 04:11AM
Ozzie --

I sure hope I have a story or two to tell you, after the hunt... smiling smiley

Yeah, I've had an eye back toward home (western PA); not that that is unusual for me winking smiley -- but in particular right now, I've been watching to see how cold it's going to get for my family and friends up there...

We are going to get some of that same cold air here in Oklahoma on Saturday night and into the early part of the week, but not as cold as you guys are going to get up there. Stay warm, Ozzie!

Steve
January 04, 2014 01:08PM
Yea steveg, the wood stove is doing it's job keeping the cold in its place. My outside thermometer reads 4 degrees....not sure of the accuracy.
I don't know how the animals survive in this cold. Take a deer, their coats look too thin, they look too thin, to stay alive...other things about their biology must factor in. Prestone in their veins, maybe.