Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dec. hunt in Ohio with pics

Posted by docbars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dec. hunt in Ohio with pics
December 27, 2013 01:10AM
I finally got back out today. I located a 1870's home site in a bean field. Took me about an hour to locate it.Had the Etrac and 4.5x7 coil with me today and had a decent day. No coins or tokens today but came out with some cool relics. Lot of nails so it was slow going and the temp was about 28 degrees with some wind. The bad thing was I forgot my coveralls so after about 4 hrs. I finally wimped out LOL. I found some flat buttons,lead,piece of jewerly,odds and ends and a couple of "what this" items. The 2 cuflink size buttons hit pretty good with the small coil for being down about 5". All in all not bad for Dec in the Buckeye State..
Corey
p.s. does anyone know what the item 5 pics down is ?????

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 01:36AM by docbars.
Re: Dec. hunt in Ohio with pics
December 27, 2013 04:00AM
Cool finds. There has to be some coins around there.
December 27, 2013 04:07AM
Thanks. Yea should be a few coins laying around there somewhere,just gotta put the coil over them. Going to go again tomorrow and see what happens.

Corey
December 27, 2013 05:37AM
What do you do take a pick ace out with you? Our ground is frozen here in nw Ohio.
December 27, 2013 07:44AM
robertj298 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you do take a pick ace out with you? Our
> ground is frozen here in nw Ohio.

LOL, no I didn't need a pick axe. Ground is only frozen on top 1 or 2 inches. Besides it was a bean field,pretty easy digging.
Corey
December 27, 2013 11:10AM
Hey doc, nice bird dogging for the site and nice finds.

I agree, there are coins there, but may be out of reach with the little coil.
The other objects are period finds but their sink rate as you know, is a tad slower. The only things I see there that have weight, are lead pieces and the coat weight...how deep were they? Of course if the field is turned, you may get some shallower finds.

Another thought is, that many items (not all) became to be in the ground at a remodel or the end of the home's cycle, maybe upon an old demo...... whereas coins could have been dropped from the beginning of the home site, to the end,, up to the present.

As a ballpark guess, looking back and using my mental notes, 95% of the 17 and 1800's date coins I have dug, were deeper than most other objects...and they hang just below or amongst the bottom layer of nails.
I find the little coils are great for the first 5-6 inches (here in PA), but they peter out after that. I prefer the 8 to 11 inch dd coils....especially on a fast unit.

My buddy uses an e-trac and I have observed most all of his coin finds are away from the home site and on the deep side. He actually prefers to hunt farm fields where it's not so trashy...that's where him and the e-trac shine. I prefer the f-75 in and around the home sites. In the fields I strap on the cz. I also have a MLse at my disposal.... I will use and enjoy it for field work.

What I'm trying to say without offending you or anyone else is, if you can get or have a faster unit, your time in the nail infested sites will be more productive.
There are coins in that site, you know it and I know it. Keep us posted..I love hearing blow by blow's and seeing finds from old nail/iron infested sites...they are a challenge...
December 27, 2013 02:55PM
Here in PA would need dynamite...glad you could get out....have some sledding hills to consider but they are being used so time for a cold winters walk....
December 28, 2013 03:45AM
Thanks Dan.

Thanks Ozzie I took the f75 on today's hunt.
Corey
December 28, 2013 02:36PM
ozzie = Correct
December 30, 2013 04:34PM
loved detecting old sites in ohio!!!! find some spots in the woods to escape frozen ground.

chuck.