Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

detecting today..anothrr critter experience...no fun

Posted by deathray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
detecting today..anothrr critter experience...no fun
January 02, 2014 02:36AM
Went with my 18 year old son to hike around and detect some old mining camps. I usually have my glock on my side,but not this time. Pretty soon we see a couple on the trail in the distance. Here we left the trail and started hiking up a gully. Thats when my son says " Dad,watch out,dog!" . Ugly friggin pitbull comes trottin straight up to me and stops 4 feet away and starts snarling. Well,I got my digging pick in my hand,ready to slam it through its skull and I yelled out" Im about to kill your f'ing dog!". Guess they whistled,cause he ran back to them. My boy was in full redneck mode by then,and gave them an earful. I'm seriously getting tired of pit bulls and their owners around here. Anyway,finished the day with a cool little gold heart pendant with small opals,some lead,a V nickle and the usual pick tips. Ray
Re: detecting today..anothrr critter experience...no fun
January 02, 2014 02:40AM
Sorry about your "run-in" deathray...bet you don't forget your Glock next time...pretty frustrating experience, I'll bet. I'd have been pretty ticked, too (as your son obviously was!)

Nice job on the digs, though...GOLD and a "V" sounds good to me...

Steve
January 02, 2014 03:28AM
That would be nerve wrecking at least you stood your ground. Have you had a run in with this dog before or is there more then one pit bull in the area ?
Been There Before............
January 02, 2014 03:31AM
The only thing a Pit Bull is good for is TARGET PRACTICE!!!!!
January 02, 2014 03:37AM
first run in with this one...but my next door neighbors pit ripped up my lab 2months ago. And Im not sure bout the rest of the country,but here in No. Cal ,pits are the dog of choice for every degenerate,dumbass wannabe gangsta...so way to familar with them.
January 02, 2014 04:03AM
They go hand in hand

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 02, 2014 05:06AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They go hand in hand

x2
January 02, 2014 08:08AM
Sorry to hear this Ray that is just terrible, That dog should have been on a leash even out in the boonies in places like this.

Lowboy hit it the nail on the head, (hand in hand)

Take care Ray,
Paul
January 02, 2014 10:48AM
On two separate occasions, while detecting in the woods, I was playfully attacked by dogs while kneeling....never saw or heard them coming. Weird thing is, I didn't get an adrenalin rush. I stood up and played back. Then his owner came by and apologized. Nothing like a happy dog.....could have been the opposite and glad they weren't pits.

Coming across a coyote den in the woods can bring you back to your senses...oops! Not sure they were occupied ....no hanging around there. We also have black bear around here, some are passing through but the rangers tell me some live here.....never saw one, like to keep it that way.
wjs
January 02, 2014 01:05PM
Something like that happened to me one time with a guy and a dog. I was detecting and a guy with a dog decides he just has to come my way when he had 400 acres he could walk his dog in. Same thing, the dog comes up to me and starts growling at me. I say to the owner I am going to kill your dog. He gets all mad and starts telling me off.

I was detecting yesterday in a public park, It was cold and the ground was partially frozen so I knew I was not going to be able to stay. The park is a big park and there was not a single person in it. I was wearing a jacket with the hood pulled up over my head so it blocked a lot of my view. I make it a habit to keep my eyes my surroundings anyway. Somehow I did not see this guy. He comes up from behind me and comes withing 2 ft of me and spins around and says....Good morning and gives me a funny look and keeps walking, The guy has the whole park but has to sneak up on me.
January 02, 2014 01:20PM
I've had a run in with dogs that are suppose to be on leashes in our parks. None were pitts. Had to call police to get one guy to put his on a lease and even had to stick my coil in his face to stop him from biting. Owners response was "oh he is normally friendly". BS. He saw me calling and jumped in car and left. Gave them his tag and they fined him. I have 3 dogs myself and had to quit taking my retriever mix to the parks. Found out if you get to close to me she would snap at strangers. She nipped 2 friends at my house so have to put her up when someone comes over she doesn't know. Friendly if she knows you. Don't need no law suite.
January 02, 2014 01:55PM
I absolutely love dogs..often they are more loving and caring than many humans. Having said that, the Pitbull breed does not need to exist.I can tell many personal stories to back that up.
January 02, 2014 02:12PM
I love dogs too Seky...I have 4 very friendly dogs. My wife has a big family,and our house is the gathering spot at birthdays,etc. Everyone brings there dogs snd we can have like 10 dogs playing in our yard...its a friggin madhouse, lol.
January 02, 2014 02:16PM
Be careful out there as even small dogs can bite and always chance of rabies or infections. While hunting or just walking my pet Keeshond have had more than on experience and now carry a can or mace which should be replaced with a stout cane or walking stick. Incident happen quickly so be prepared comes to mind..
January 02, 2014 02:22PM
One of my cousins will wear a big scar on her face for the rest of her life....from a "friendly" pit bull. It happened when she was about 3 yrs old. She was scared of the dog to start with....they had went to visit my grandmother and she was walking from the car to her porch....one of our other family members owned the dog and lived next door to grandma. Well...the dog was laying in her yard...and my cousin being scared of the dog, didn't go near it. But that thing went ballistic and pinned her on the ground biting her neck and face before we could even react to it. It was all we could do to whip the dog off her. The dogs owner tried to defend the dog...saying that she (my cousin) was probably provoking the dog in some way. I was there...I saw what happened. That dog just went crazy with her walking by it...she was scared of it and trying to avoid it. This ended with a pit bull meeting a Glock .40 cal at point blank...and a very upset dog owner. He didn't care that his niece had been attacked, was scared to death and bleeding pretty bad....he was more upset over the dog being put down. A fist fight broke out, with him having much of the same characteristics as the dog... and ended with him laying on the ground beside his dog with the promise that he had better get his act together or he would be sharing the same fate as said dog. Needless to say, to this day I don't like pit bulls and me and that uncle still do not get along.
January 02, 2014 02:25PM
Usually am prepared Dan...like I said,Im usually packing when Im out in the boonies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 02:26PM by deathray.
January 02, 2014 07:24PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my cousins will wear a big scar on her face
> for the rest of her life....from a "friendly" pit
> bull. It happened when she was about 3 yrs old.
> She was scared of the dog to start with....they
> had went to visit my grandmother and she was
> walking from the car to her porch....one of our
> other family members owned the dog and lived next
> door to grandma. Well...the dog was laying in her
> yard...and my cousin being scared of the dog,
> didn't go near it. But that thing went ballistic
> and pinned her on the ground biting her neck and
> face before we could even react to it. It was all
> we could do to whip the dog off her. The dogs
> owner tried to defend the dog...saying that she
> (my cousin) was probably provoking the dog in some
> way. I was there...I saw what happened. That dog
> just went crazy with her walking by it...she was
> scared of it and trying to avoid it. This ended
> with a pit bull meeting a Glock .40 cal at point
> blank...and a very upset dog owner. He didn't
> care that his niece had been attacked, was scared
> to death and bleeding pretty bad....he was more
> upset over the dog being put down. A fist fight
> broke out, with him having much of the same
> characteristics as the dog... and ended with him
> laying on the ground beside his dog with the
> promise that he had better get his act together or
> he would be sharing the same fate as said dog.
> Needless to say, to this day I don't like pit
> bulls and me and that uncle still do not get
> along.

Well done!!!!! It's a pleasure to read when some of these people and their dogs get their just desserts!!!!! It infuriates me that a little girl,.......a sweet, impressionable, little girl has to be assualted by a mutated species of the wolf family. Personally, I am quite glad that the dog was put down. and the uncle, humbled. If he cannot see the justice in this......let him stay mad.
As far as dogs go, I love them, and most of them love me. When I see one eyeing me and wagging his tail,......I will invite it over for a petting. Day before yesterday I was detecting a place (where I found the arrowhead in the hole) and there was a little feist/beagle/ something bitch dog that was barking at my car. Until she remembered me from my summertime detecting at that same place. I heard the incessant barking and went around the shrubs/brush to investigate and to holler for it to SHUT UP!!!!! After all, I was trying to listen for hi tone blips amongst all the low tones. She immediately recognized me and here she comes!!!!!! She comes up to me and jumps up on my pants......I started to laugh and greet her "How've you been girl????etc". Then I give her the words that she is waiting for: "Get em girl!!!" (rabbits, squirrels, cats.....whatever) and off she goes......hunting. She never gets far from me. When I stop to dig a plug she'll come over and sniff the hole I just dug. LOL!!!!!!! She's a trip. I'm quite fond of that littel girl. I can easily tell she gets no lovin at home. Rather,.....it would seem. But she keeps me company and I talk to her while I am digging. (Yeah.....I talk to myself....dog or no dog)
But I can fully understand and I empathize with the original poster!!!!!!!!!!! I would be HOT!!!!!! That pit would get a Predator solid steel shovel (that I have sharpened) across that broad face!!!!! I'd make durn sure that the pit's biting strength would be significantly lowered when I was done. They say that if a dog charges you and takes that last leap (to get to your throat).........put your knee......with as much force as you can muster........right into the lung/heart area. Once you have knocked the wind out his sails.......start working him/her over with a digging tool!!!!!! Just be careful!!!!!!!! Be alert!!!! When I hunt with full cup earphones that block ALL sound.....I leave one cup half off. I do NOT want to be taken unawares. Good luck. Happy Hunting. Happy 2014. May everyone here find a chunk of gold. We deserve it.