Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Run in with Park Ranger

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Run in with Park Ranger
January 02, 2014 01:39PM
So hunting at a park that I hunted last week. Several police came through and even saw another ranger go by. No one said a word to me. Then a different one shows up and tells me a statue says I can't do that in the parks. I responded "do what". "That" was his response. Seems like he didn't want to say metal detecting. I said OK your the man and I will leave but I have a copy of the park rules in my truck and nothing in there about no MDing in parks. They dress the Park Patrol Rangers here in green combat fatigues complete with combat boots and black jackets. I guess to intimidate you. I go to truck and pull out my copy and hand it to him. Even when I hunt out of state I take a copy of the laws that may affect me to show I've done some homework on it. He takes it and balls it up and throws it on the ground. One more word from you and I will have you taken downtown. No winning this battle so I left. He even left the paper on the ground and walked off. Won't go back there but I swear I think it was because I'm white and he is black and on a power trip. Just the feeling I got. No one was in the park at the time so it could have been a bad scene for me. He really only backed down when 2 cars pulled in right next to us. Did ask his name before it got to that point and not only would he not give it to me it seemed to make him madder that I asked. Really started my New Year off right. They passed a law last year that in our county we have the right to carry a gun as long as it is within the gun laws. But yet I can't MD here. Twisted values. IMHO
Re: Run in with Park Ranger
January 02, 2014 01:53PM
ShovelNose -- I agree with you that the Park Ranger in question was on a power trip, and I'd turn him in -- regardless of the MD issue...that kind of disrespect is not acceptable from a public employee, IMO. Also, I agree with you that not being able to MD in the park makes little sense. However, I couldn't disagree more that it's "twisted" in any way that you can legally carry a firearm. That's a false comparison, to me. Carrying a firearm should be legal, AS should detecting in the park.

Steve
January 02, 2014 02:08PM
I would turn him in as well. You might not have a name but you could give a description. While you're at it...be sure to tell 'em that he littered in the park smiling smiley
January 02, 2014 02:18PM
I know its hard to think of at yhe time,but assuming you have a smart phone,video record him. I would go back just for that oppurtunity to bust his ass.
January 02, 2014 02:31PM
Sounds like a sociopathic personality, and those aren't bound by skin color. Carry a video recorder as it is legal to record interactions with enforcement officials. Also, I'm surprised he wasn't wearing a name tag.
I don't hunt parks often but when I do my iPhone and concealed handgun go with me.
January 02, 2014 02:32PM
Here in Pa. seems like each individual ranger in our state parks has his own agenda. Some actually ask what you found and others want to write you a ticket. No detecting is one thing but destroying state property is another and digging holes can be consider the aforementioned so I just stay clear of them. I have seen signs prohibiting many actions but never metal detecting so go figure and deputy dog deputies let a little power go to their head. Yes or no is one thing but maybe further confuses...
Federal land and most of it is not marked can get you handcuffs, jail time and they can even confiscate your car.
State woodlands you have to turn in everything over 100 yrs. old so a barber dime can get you a fine...are we having fun yet?
January 02, 2014 03:30PM
There's always someone wanting to tell you what you can and can not do just for a power trip. Report the A-hole.

tabman
January 02, 2014 03:37PM
Most Rangers around here are pleasant. We have women Rangers also. One guy will stop occasionally and shoot the breeze. He once invited me bass fishing and gave me his card....never took him up on that.
There is a younger fellow that has that 'power trip' attitude. He drove his Ranger vehicle on the grass to get to me. Then spews some rules and regs and asks if I have a permit. I try to remain pleasant and mannerly, but my Hollywood smile soon goes away....hope he read that.
January 02, 2014 04:11PM
He was probably just hacked off from his attempts to sign up for Obamacare....Period!
January 02, 2014 04:32PM
Oh god it is a reverse black and white...oh well I would just back off you won't win they are the law and unless he hit you then it is your word against his and even then the law always wins

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 02, 2014 09:06PM
you know if that were to happen to me I'd probably remind him that the tax dollars of public citizens pays his check and after he made the comment of i'll run you into town and I would of looked at him on what grounds ? then if things got bad from there I'd make a court case out of it from there if I didn't wind up doing more myself I don't do well with power tripped people unfortunately I've been known to hall and baste some of worked with in the past, I just don't put up with that crap.
January 02, 2014 09:49PM
I think it's a shame that you are making it a racial thing. I hardly doubt that if you were black he would give you the go ahead to detect. Pointing out the color of his skin makes me question that because you are white, it makes you think you are better than him? "Judge a man by the content of his character not by the color of his skin"

Here in MA it's illegal to detect on state property. Even the beaches are a gray law.

Oh... and by the way, I'm white.
January 02, 2014 09:54PM
He needs to be brought under control regardless of his ethnicity.
Go back and set him up if you have to as the next "victim" may not fare so well.
January 02, 2014 11:21PM
seaweed --

I don't believe the OP was implying anything whatsoever having to do with anyone being "better" than anyone else, due to skin color. Not sure how or why you took that from what he said. That's not how I read what he wrote, at all. He was, at least as I read it, suggesting a possibility that he sensed in that case; let's face it -- racial tension in this country does exist, in many areas.

From my perspective, it is obvious that a whole lot of "wrong" was done to blacks, in our past. A WHOLE lot. A lot of senseless hatred, surrounding what amounted to a difference in skin color. Lately, though, in my own personal experience, at least some of the racially motivated hatred that exists today, is aimed in the OTHER direction. I think alot of whites feel concerned about someday being on the receiving end of racially motivated hatred and/or violence...no one talks about it because it's politically "incorrect" to do so, but the fact is that racism/racial hatred is alive and well, and in many cases, it's not the white person doing the "hating..."

If I were in his shoes, and certain things took place, I could imagine myself wondering the same thing -- is this guy giving me a hard time because he's a jerk on an ego trip, or is it being fueled at least in part because of the possibility that he hates white people, and I'm white? There is nothing wrong with having that thought, IMO, so I'm not sure why you felt that you needed to question whether the OP was in some way "wrong" or "racist" just for wondering...there's nothing "discriminatory" or "racist" about that, in my opinion. I think most of us would agree that -- especially back during the "civil rights" era -- blacks were afraid (and justifiably so) of whites, in many areas, and particularly of "white hatred" being aimed in their direction. Nowadays, I think many whites are ALSO afraid (again, justifiably so) of blacks, in many areas, and particularly of "black hatred" aimed in THEIR direction.

Again, in my opinion there's nothing "racist" about wondering if a confrontation you are involved in, where disrespect or even hatred was involved, might have a "skin color difference" component or undertone to it. In fact, I'd argue that it's wise to be at least aware of the possibility of such things in some circumstances...as an otherwise innocuous situation can get awful bad, in an awful hurry, whenever some type of unrelated, underlying tension or hatred is fueling the incident. Sensing that possibility (as it appears the OP did) might just have induced enough prudence on his part, to allow him to gracefully back out of what could have melted down into something ugly...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 12:45AM by steveg.
January 02, 2014 11:52PM
What a load of crap,

I swear - the list of things you can't do in the parks grows every year

it would be much easier for them to make a sign with what you can do --- it'd be maybe 3" x 3" instead of 16" wide 3 ft long with all the "rules" of what you're not allowed to do.

It's a joke to say the least

no parking on grass
no dogs
no loud music
no horse play
no golfing
no Frisbee
no fishing
no camping
no hunting
no large crowds/gatherings
do not disturb soil, plants, etc
no fires
no drinking
no dumping
no trespassing after dark
no swimming in pond/lake
no alcohol
no glass containers
no offensive clothing
no profanity
no removal of_____
no________
no________
no________
no________

the list goes on and on

what the hell CAN we do in the xoxo park that is supposedly for "fun/enjoyment" of the citizens??

Sit in your car in the parking lot and LOOK at it from a distance??
January 03, 2014 12:14AM
I have no problem with law abiding folks carrying guns in the park. It was just a comparison. It could have been race related as he was as rude as he could be and it just got worse when his name was asked. It was just a feeling because of the way he treated me Seaweed. Have you spent any time in the south? Reverse racism is alive but it is not talked about as if mention I'm the raciest. I was raised by a black nanny and went to school during forced integration and when the fights broke out they left me alone because they knew I treated them like I would like for them to treat me. He sure had a mean look in his eyes.He may have had a name badge on but was wearing a hvy coat that was closed. I did mention I would be reporting this and his response was "good they will see I'm doing my job". This is the only park I have seen him at but will be keeping an eye out and make sure I'm not alone again. I started to break out the smart phone but just didn't have the chance as he was all over me. I'm not sure if it would do any good to report him but I will try tomorrow because he may have been making this a habit and if so he needs to be brought down a notch before he hurts someone. After that I'm letting it go and moving on if I can.
January 03, 2014 12:25AM
Steveg, you hit it out of the park. There's way too much thought and speach control in this country.

You're not a racist or being unreasonable for simply thinking what is most likely the truth.

tabman
January 03, 2014 12:41AM
ShovelNose -- gotcha, understood. I understand the comparison...

tabman -- thanks for the kind words. And yes, I agree with you -- WAAAAY too much thought and speech control in this country now. There was a time when America was ALL ABOUT sitting down and hashing out (or, at least discussing) differences -- in public, at home, wherever. Now, our "free speech" rights are being jeapordized to the extent that when discussing certain things, you have to be careful about where you are and who you are with. Those of us who don't have a mind to just blindly obey the thought/speech police end up relegated to areas where seemingly the last vestiges of free speech still exist (like NASA-Tom's forum! winking smiley )

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 12:51AM by steveg.
January 03, 2014 01:11AM
Seaweed, your comment really pisses me off. I dont know where you have been living bud,but racism goes both ways,period. Im a whiteboy,and I have been on the recieving end of racist attacks by both blacks and hispanics. Maybe you live in a whitebread gated community,but walk downtown Stockton, and see if your treated like the residents. Now if Shovelnose was black and said a white ranger gave him a bad time,I bet you would be the first to cry racism and call the ACLU. Sorry members of this forum for going off,but I think the attack on Shovelnose was out of line.
January 03, 2014 02:29AM
Thanks Deathray. That's what I like about this forum. Everyone has a voice good or bad.
January 03, 2014 02:37AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seaweed, your comment really pisses me off. I dont
> know where you have been living bud,but racism
> goes both ways,period. Im a whiteboy,and I have
> been on the recieving end of racist attacks by
> both blacks and hispanics. Maybe you live in a
> whitebread gated community,but walk downtown
> Stockton, and see if your treated like the
> residents. Now if Shovelnose was black and said a
> white ranger gave him a bad time,I bet you would
> be the first to cry racism and call the ACLU.
> Sorry members of this forum for going off,but I
> think the attack on Shovelnose was out of line.

You nailed that one. You speak the truth and the truth needs to be heard. No more silence from me. Screw the thought and speach police.

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 02:37AM by tabman.
January 03, 2014 07:19AM
ShovelNose Wrote:

> Won't go back there but I swear I think it was
> because I'm white and he is black and on a power
> trip.

I don't understand..?? He was on a power trip because he was black? What am I missing there?

HH Joe
January 03, 2014 12:52PM
Ahh, you never know why people are grumpy, could be several reasons. Maybe his new years resolution is quitting tobacco...that right there will mess up your mind and brings out the ' mean ' in you, hard to control.

If you see him again (months later), go up to him and introduce yourself and the situation from months ago. Tell him 'we got off to a bad start'. Say 'you don't like harboring bad feelings toward anyone'. Hold out your hand. If he comes off the same way, say, ' Oh, Ok, so you're always a schmuck, I thought you were coming down off of nicotine or something, see ya........walk away.
January 03, 2014 01:12PM
The guy was probably pissed due to having to work on or around a Holiday or he may have had a heck of a hangover from binge drinking the night before either way he sounds like butt hole and I would contact the park manager and get him and the detect or no detecting situation straightened out. Stand Your Ground!!! Don't let this guy go without a fight!!!
January 03, 2014 02:57PM
Let it go..... It will be easier for them to put up a sign " No Detecting" than listen to your complaints.

Tom in SC
January 03, 2014 06:00PM
Can you imagine.... if you could do all those things at a park that are on the signs....would you want to go?

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> What a load of crap,
>
> I swear - the list of things you can't do in the
> parks grows every year
>
> it would be much easier for them to make a sign
> with what you can do --- it'd be maybe 3" x 3"
> instead of 16" wide 3 ft long with all the "rules"
> of what you're not allowed to do.
>
> It's a joke to say the least
>
> no parking on grass
> no dogs
> no loud music
> no horse play
> no golfing
> no Frisbee
> no fishing
> no camping
> no hunting
> no large crowds/gatherings
> do not disturb soil, plants, etc
> no fires
> no drinking
> no dumping
> no trespassing after dark
> no swimming in pond/lake
> no alcohol
> no glass containers
> no offensive clothing
> no profanity
> no removal of_____
> no________
> no________
> no________
> no________
>
> the list goes on and on
>
> what the hell CAN we do in the xoxo park that is
> supposedly for "fun/enjoyment" of the citizens??
>
> Sit in your car in the parking lot and LOOK at it
> from a distance??
January 03, 2014 07:57PM
DrJoeprime Wrote:
> ShovelNose Wrote:
>
> > Won't go back there but I swear I think it was
> > because I'm white and he is black and on a
> power
> > trip.
>
> I don't understand..?? He was on a power trip
> because he was black? What am I missing there?
>
> HH Joe

So I'm not the only one that doesn't understand. Or is it others don't want to speak up?
January 03, 2014 09:03PM
seaweednh -- if you have read some of the posts here, and still don't understand, then my opinion is it's because you choose not to. You may not AGREE with the premises presented, but to say "you don't understand," I don't believe that. Whether you agree with ShovelNose's assumption that he was possibly treated harshly in part for racial reasons, or not, has nothing to do with you being CAPABLE of UNDERSTANDING what his thoughts were at the time. For example, I don't agree with an atheist, but I do understand their point of view.

I think we agree that at times, folks have "hatred" toward others, just because of a difference in skin color. And I'm sure you would agree that when someone in POWER has that hatred, and uses their position of power as an excuse to "vent" that hate toward those they hate -- trumping up or even "inventing" charges, just to have an excuse to "vent their hate," that is an example of racism and it is a problem. It's exactly what happened in the deep south, during the Civil Rights era. Ever seen the movie "The Help?" It's excellent -- but the point is, in that movie, there are examples of exactly what I am referring to. You know what I'm talking about.

Well, the issue here is, that same abuse of power, by law enforcement, tinged by racial hatred, can go in the OTHER direction, too...and THAT is what ShovelNose suspected, based on the feel he got as a result of his interaction with that Park Ranger. That's not too hard to understand.

To be honest, I feel you are just trying to make a point -- the fallacious point that anyone who is white, and says anything whatsoever that could be perceived as negative about someone who is black, they are AUTOMATICALLY a racist, spewing racism. Sometimes, speaking negatively of a person of another color IS racist; at other times, it is not -- it at times is simply a negative statement having NOTHING TO DO with skin color. Example? I had friends tell me that anyone who did not vote for Obama, and doesn't support his policies, is only behaving that way because they are racists. Absolutely ridiculous. If someone SAYS that they didn't vote for Obama because they hate blacks, then that's a racist statement. But, simply saying you disagree with Obama and his policies, does NOT make you a racist. Likewise, saying you perceived the possibility of "racial tension" in an interaction you had where someone seemed to have possibly been using their position of power to intimidate or abuse...that is NOT a racist statement.

To sum it up in two sentences -- sensing a possible "racial undertone" in a certain circumstance DOES NOT IN ANY WAY mean you ARE a racist. ShovelNose sensed a possible "racial undertone;" that does NOT make him a racist -- which is what you implied by this statement:

Pointing out the color of his skin makes me question that because you are white, it makes you think you are better than him?

Steve
January 03, 2014 09:11PM
DrJoeprime Wrote:
> ShovelNose Wrote:
>
> > Won't go back there but I swear I think it was
> > because I'm white and he is black and on a
> power
> > trip.
>
> I don't understand..?? He was on a power trip
> because he was black? What am I missing there?
>
> HH Joe

No, Dr. Joe...what ShovelNose was saying, I believe, is that the Ranger was indeed on a power trip, and ShovelNose sensed "something extra" going on, and he WONDERED if the power trip was partially being fueled by some racial hatred. ShovelNose brought up the skin color of the Ranger only to present it as a fact that might support his concern about possible "racial tension" being involved, based on what he felt during the interaction. If the guy was WHITE, and ShovelNose felt the same "undertone" from that Ranger "seemingly abusing his position of power," he would have had to have tried to figure out some OTHER reason that he sensed a strange undertone. But, given the difference of skin color between the two, what he sensed during the interaction, and the fact that racial abuse is common in certain parts of the country, he was led to surmise the possibility of a racial motivation on the part of the Ranger.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 10:48PM by steveg.
January 03, 2014 09:32PM
I know you don't want a pat on the back but,.....Man!, steveg, you have an excellent sense of explanation. Well written Sir............. I still say the Ranger was quitting tobacco though, LOL!