Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does the metal middle rod of the T2/F-75 affect the detector in any way?

Posted by christopher-ohio 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does the metal middle rod of the T2/F-75 affect the detector in any way?
January 31, 2010 05:03PM
my arms are long enough that I don't need to use the middle rod for the T2 LTD. The detector is so sensitive that the middle rod must interfere with the detector in some way...correct me of I'm wrong...thanks smiling smiley
Re: Does the metal middle rod of the T2/F-75 affect the detector in any way?
January 31, 2010 10:03PM
why do you say that the middle rod seems to interfere with the detector???.... what do you think of it so far?
January 31, 2010 10:46PM
Sonny,

The detector seems very stable and ID's very nicely while testing inside even in BP mode...very easy to set up and adjust on the fly. Frankly, the only thing I wish it would do is have more tone options in the BP mode like the F-75 LTD(I have one coming Tuesday). I happened to put it together first without the metal middle rod and the length was fine for me with my long arms. I just happened to wave the middle rod past the coil when putting it together and it overloads. No, it doesn't discernably affect anything but I would just think that for such a hot detector, the metal middle rod must affect the detector in some way...I'm sure the orientation of the rod has alot to do with it if it doesn't...it's been too cold to get out of course but carpet detecting tells me alot already smiling smiley

Chris
February 01, 2010 01:29AM
Christopher........I just knew (in short order).......that you would be acquiring a F75 LTD. Would love to hear your T2 LTD vs. F75 LTD head-to-head comparison results.

How has your learning-curve & success with T2 LTD been?

No ..... there are no problems with that aluminum middle rod.....IRT inducing interference. Now.....that being said; I remember in the old days.....where there was a metal nut/bolt assy holding the coil to the shaft. Although both the coil and metal nut/bolt moved at the same speed (together)......and the unit would not audibly detect the extra metal; however it did indeed induce some strange 'null' spots/hot-spots to the EM footprint.
February 01, 2010 02:00AM
Tom,

You have always had me figured out pretty well smiling smiley The F-75 LTD should be arriving via the little brown truck this Tuesday.

It's been frigid here in Ohio so I have yet to venture outside. I have some decent places to test detectors in my house so that's about all I can do right now. The T2 learning curve seems like a breeze...no problem to get it stable in all modes. In fact, I like it so much I'm tempted to just sell my CZ-3D. It sounds just like it in 4 tone and locks on pretty hard. The ergonomics are so good I'm going to have a hard time going back...I guess I'm kind of bored with CZ's---I've hunted hard with them and have done very well...it's almost too easy...I guess I'm ready for the next level.

Thanks for the info regarding the middle rod...I figured as much but always wondered.

Most appreciated as always...Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 02:11AM by christopher-ohio.
February 01, 2010 09:53AM
Hi, I remember when some brands of detectors used the metal nut and bolt too.... Hey Chris let me know by p.m. if and when you you might be getting rid of your 3d I might be interested in it.......Thanks......JJ
February 01, 2010 04:13PM
keep the cz emi can really hammper the LTD

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 01, 2010 06:29PM
Thanks LowBoy...that's what I figured I should do.
February 01, 2010 07:34PM
Tom & Christopher you guys got me thinking about my F-75's falsing.
When I hold the coil overhead in the air and wiggle the detector, I get falsing. When I wiggle the coil wire (at the coil) I get falsing. Now, the joint in the shaft above the coil connection where there is a plastic lock nut & the bottom shaft goes into the upper shaft, there is play in it. I can't tighten it, it's maxed out. The distance from that joint to the coil is 15 inches. In that 15", say the joint being a fulcrum, the coil moves about 1/8 of an inch. Now, when I'm in the field swinging, the coil and the upper shaft are not moving at the same speed. At the end of each swing, the coil moves another 1/8 of an inch.
Could that be the falsing problem? If so what are some remedies to tighten the shaft, (other than duct tape & a splint)?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 07:36PM by ozzie.
February 01, 2010 10:11PM
Chris, I am glad you are keeping your 1021 CZ. It's a great machine, and you will be kicking yourself if you sold it. Just box it up, put it away and forget about it. Somewhere down the road you'd be glad you did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 10:11PM by coinhunter.
February 02, 2010 12:33AM
Christopher,

If it's the CZ-3D I'm thinking of...... I strongly recommend keeping it (for a while). If you can get your hands on a F75 LTD...... and if you can set Disc at '0' and Sens to '99' with unit in 'bp' mode (or 'cl' mode) ....try passing a VERY small gold ring......air-rifle BB (or lead pellet)........or U.S. one dollar gold coin in front of coil. Compare to CZ-3D with same target(s).
Also-----remember to dig BOTH of the top two tones of the F75/T2 LTD whilst in 4-tone mode. That 3rd highest tone is the CZ-3D 'old coins' window........exactly.

Ozzie..........try replacing that black locking collar on your middle-to-lower shaft joint. Then re-evaluate your situation. The F75 should have 'some' chatter/EMI......but not quite as bad as you are expressing. Sudden 'jitters' induced in the coil will naturally induce some EMI. ((( You might be experiencing microphonics with your coil and/or coil wire....if it's still excessive ))).
Tom
February 02, 2010 01:15AM
Are you saying the CZ-3D would be better if you can't get to the "Disc at '0' and Sens to '99' with unit in 'bp' mode (or 'cl' mode)" using the F75 LTD?
February 02, 2010 01:14PM
Thanks Tom,
I will call Fisher,maybe they will send me the locking collar...I think I'll ask for two. I could also call the little detector store near me, to see if he has any.
I sure do like this forum and all of the people who take the time to share their knowledge & detecting experiences. Thanks Again

Sincereley,
Steve
Did the little brown truck arrive?
February 02, 2010 10:45PM
So did the little brown truck arrive?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Did the little brown truck arrive?
February 03, 2010 02:45AM
markg............No, the F75 & CZ-3D have many similarities.......but many large performance differences..........especially if iron is present. The Disc & Sens settings do not have to be max'd out......in order to trump a concentric coil CZ unit.....especially when iron (nails) becomes thick.
February 03, 2010 05:26PM
Yes, it came yesterday afternoon. I put her together(F-75 LTD) and fired it up in the evening...DE, disc 6, sens 50-75, seemed stable with good airtesting distance, then BP...had to back sens down to about 50...also used 4H tones for nickels(high tone) The TID is spread out more then the T2 LTD therefore more jumpy ID just like an X-Terra 50 versus the expanded ID on the X-terra 70,,,at this juncture which is way too early to comment much...I actually like the T2 LTD better thus far with inside testing and my test target set I use. The T2 seems more stable, less jumpy ID, and more pleasant to use(and just more natural feeling for ME)...granted in BP it's 2+ tones but I'm OK with that...so we'll see once the weather fairs up a bit smiling smiley
February 04, 2010 02:27AM
If only you can find a EMI free area to test the F75 LTD.
February 04, 2010 02:53AM
Funny my LTD is very stable even with 0 disc

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 04, 2010 12:06PM
Wished I could claim the same; however, there have been a few places where EMI was zero. In these cases, depth and performance is tremendous......unsurpassed. It's nice to have the option to 'overdrive' the unit....when circumstances allow.