Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

((((Reminiscing Old Times))))

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
((((Reminiscing Old Times))))
January 25, 2014 11:53PM
Hi,,,,The other night it was 11.8 below zero and the promise to the end of winter is nowhere in sight for at least 50 more days,give or take...So I'm stuck here in my wintry home with only fading vague memories of a cool summer breeze blowing on me, while I'm gingerly swinging my magical miracle machine....Last night I cuddled up in my easy chair and quickly encased myself in a blanket to escape the wintry chill I was feeling....I turned on the tube and began watching an old 1965 John Wayne film, The Sons of Katie Elder.... It was not very long before a predominate dreamy kinda haze began to take control of me..I slowly drifted off into dream land, while I was there, I started reminiscing about the old times and how it use to be....Here's just one example that really keeps this wintry theme alive....One winter many years ago we had a terrible out of the ordinary winter storm..The roads were impassable due to the many four to six foot snow drifts that now blanketed the roads....I was still in school and living at home with my parents at the time... When my bachelor reclusive farmer type neighbor calls me up and asked me to run to the store for him....Oops my bad, I should of said "could you dig a passage way or crawl to the store for me".....With a slight hesitation I said okay.....I bundled up real good to try and compensate for 30 mph prevailing west winds we were having at the time...I walked over to his house to secure the appropriate funds and ask him what he needed....Well as it turns out he wanted some butter,,,,yes I said butter,,,,what a wacko....After having a brief conversation with him, I began my 1 1/2 mile unforgettable journey, to our live in storekeepers store....Well I made it there and back with only some minor frost bite on my niblets......When I got back to the funny farmers house,I went inside to give him what he ordered...I just stood there shaking and slowly handed him his golden delight....He looked inside the bag & quickly jumped out of his creaky old wooden chair and madly muttered some unrepeatable English words....It was hard to actually justify why or what he really said since his dentures were falling out while he was trying to yell at me....Anyways,with the swiftness of a Cheetah,he threw open the door and tossed his newly purchased golden delight out into a snowdrift....He then he turns to me and yells "I WANTED BUTTER NOT MARGARINE"....I really didn't know any better because when I was growing up, we only had margarine and we always called it butter...After his brief moment of insanity he then asked me in a much calmer voice, "could you go back to the store and get me my butter"....Somewhat puzzled I replied back in a low toned voice,,,,I guess,,,,....Well to finally put an end this story, I made it back to his house with his Real Butter and handed it to him,he then said with a big happy smile on his face "you can keep the change"....WoW I thought to myself as I grumbled some choice words to myself on the way back home, after doing some quick math....You mean this whole seventeen cents is for little ol' me....LoL....JJ
Re: ((((Reminiscing Old Times))))
January 26, 2014 12:52AM
I hope it was like 1950 when this happened! lol

At least then (at that time) the .17 cents woulda bought you something!
January 26, 2014 01:11AM
Hi,,LoL no 1950 was way before my time....It was about 30 years ago I guess....I did not do it for money but the second trip was kinda enough for me....I detected his yard and done really good it's well over 100 years old...I remember getting a standing liberty quarter in great shape out of there,I don't remember the date now...He passed on now I kinda miss the old guy....JJ
January 26, 2014 01:35PM
A wise old guy once told me enjoy life while your young so when years later sitting in that recliner you have a smile on your face there will be a reason...
January 26, 2014 01:43PM
Good story