Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites Hybrid IB/PI Detector

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whites Hybrid IB/PI Detector
January 29, 2014 05:26PM
Recently granted Whites patent 8629677 for a hybrid device.

[www.google.com]

Anybody know if we will be seeing such a beast anytime soon?

Rick Kempf
Re: Whites Hybrid IB/PI Detector
January 29, 2014 05:59PM
I hope they have a winner that's water proof, adjustable depth elimination (0- 8" to get rid of the clad if needed), sees through the bad soil at 16" and sells for $995.
January 29, 2014 06:09PM
Its been talked about since the filing date a good bit...

I think Carl metioned building a MXT/TDI hybrid a few years back..

I think theres one other company I cant say the name that actually has one completed...and was due out last fall..

So it may be closer than you think in therms of a Hybrid...

theres a guy building custom ones out of Russia see if I can find the pic..

Here a ton of info on Carls site..

great reading...alot of over the head stuff intermingled but still great info especially on P.i's

[www.geotech1.com]

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 07:00PM by Keith Southern.
January 29, 2014 06:14PM
Highly technical but FASCINATING read...thanks, lytle...

Steve
January 29, 2014 07:08PM
Here's my theory of why all the US detector manufacturers are being challenged by newcomers to the scene.

If you are a clever electronics engineer in the US you are going to be working for Qualcomm, Cisco, or some other hi tech major corporation or some startup with bags of venture capital money. Same goes, even more so if you are a software guy involved with digital signal processing. No closely held, traditional US detector manufacturer can attract and hold the best and brightest young minds in the US marketplace. The fact that three of our four detector manufacturers are located in out of the way places probably helps them somewhat since there is no LOCAL competition for the talent.

When you look at former Soviet Bloc countries however, you see great technical talent and excellent universities, but no big ticket jobs. Is it any wonder that bright young minds can be attracted to problems like metal detection (not to mention various hacking scams,!). There are not the good corporate and new hi tech companies to snap them up. Their main problem seems to arise from the lack of a consumer oriented tradition which can lead to quality and user interface issues with the products.
January 29, 2014 08:52PM
Good theory Lytle..

Good thought process..

If manufacturers are lucky enough to have some cutting edge electronics engineer's they Im sure pay heavy for them...

I honestly believe that guys like Brent Weaver at Garrett was the turn around for the company...

FT knew enough to get Dave J. to design them a machine...and had to pay pretty good to do it I woud bet..

XP is a company that can go places .. and the guy who owns the company is also the engineer and the most important is a avid detectorist and Knows what we need to succeed.

A rare combo to find an engineer that KNOWS what is required for success and aslo has the ability to write the checks to do the research...

Bruce Candy is another...

All real sharp guys all with different funds allowed to get the project completed..

Guys that are over the top intelligent in electronic's arent going to design metal detector's are they...unless it comes off Government gained contract's ...

The best we the detectorist can hope for is a real intelligent desinger who likes to detect and has the ability to build what He want's...and money is not the driving force for HIM...in other words he has to like the detector design more than the money made .. more of a love what you do .. and do what you love career..

Keith
January 29, 2014 09:28PM
Bring em on I say!

I want one!
January 30, 2014 12:05PM
I think you need to start saving you pennies because these machines are going to cost. We have already seen both the VLF and PIs double in price. Ive not bought one of these pricy machines for various reasons.... weight, repairs, cost, and performace over what im using. It does seem the PIs are getting a little more attention from the major companies. We have talked about and heard rumors from Fisher, Whites, and ML..... looks like ML will introduce one this summer.

Dew
January 30, 2014 08:22PM
Well tomorrow's the day – January 31 – when minelab will announce full details of their new SDC2300 pulse induction detector. Of course if I had any sense I'd wait till tomorrow to read what they posted - and then make my oh so clever comments about what they actually put up. Sadly I have no sense.

From what I've heard from a - I think very reliable - source, the new detector does not use the same technology as the GPX 5000. It instead uses or builds on the technology of the SD 2100-2200 series detectors. Also the one coil that comes with it will be the only coil for it. And the real clincher is that my source said that Minelab USA had told them that they plan to sell it for $3800. Hopefully for Minelab's sake they took him seriously when he told them they were nuts if they thought they could sell them at that price with the Garrett ATX selling for about $2100.

We will see how good my information is come tomorrow. Meanwhile Garrett needs to listen to everybody who's been telling them to make a land only version of the ATX without that heavy case and using the Infinium series coils as well as the very expensive ATX coils. If they did this they could sell the thing for about $1600 and completely dominate the entry-level PI detector market - as it's a much nicer looking and simpler to use package than the whites TDI even though the TDI might – ultimately – be a more powerful and useful detector.

As far as a hybrid detector goes – IB/PI – who knows what its capabilities will be. Adding discrimination at full detection depth – something VLF's can't do and for that matter neither can PI's currently would be a game changer. If this capability were combined with great depth, the ability to ignore hot rocks and good separation in iron then they might really have something – whoever THEY are.

The one company who will definitely NOT be introducing A new VLF/ID hybrid detector is minelab. Their entire new product introduction program for the next couple of years was rolled out at the Codan annual shareholder meeting last fall at which they announced the new entry level PI detector - that's the one being released tomorrow - and following that a low priced mass-market VLF detector and finally - not this year and not next year – a new technology top-of-the-line Gold detector.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 03:50AM by lytle78.
January 31, 2014 03:33AM
Who is going to spend $3800 on a PI Gold machine where you can't even change the coil?

Especially when you can buy a used 4500 for either the same or less money and the GP 3500 for about $2000-$2500?

Reports are starting to come out from Aus about the ATX. Not sure how successful the ATX has been on small deep gold but Youtube videos should be available soon.

This is what one of the guys on a forum has said anyway.

In my opinion Garrett needs to keep developing the ATX with a new version launched within 12 months.

I have heard Whites may be building a waterproof tdi with a pulse rate lower than 10.

Interesting times ahead.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 03:39AM by wolfau.